Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 7, 2010, 07:39 PM   #1
jasonkang93
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
How to completely uninstall wine??

Hi! i was having trouble completely uninstalling wine, ive tried wit appdeleter and such but it never really deleted the part where if u command click a exe file and click on open with, it still shows wine there! how do i completely obliterate wine from my computer?? thnx!!!
jasonkang93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 08:04 PM   #2
LPZ
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkang93 View Post
Hi! i was having trouble completely uninstalling wine, ive tried wit appdeleter and such but it never really deleted the part where if u command click a exe file and click on open with, it still shows wine there! how do i completely obliterate wine from my computer?? thnx!!!
How did you install wine? Is an uninstaller bundled with the installer? Maybe you'd be better off posting here?
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Hastings101
macrumors 68000
 
Hastings101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: blargh
Re download Wine, there is an uninstaller available in the virtual disk that's loaded when you open the .dmg file.
__________________
Please use
continuous
text
Hastings101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 09:50 PM   #4
jasonkang93
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastings101 View Post
Re download Wine, there is an uninstaller available in the virtual disk that's loaded when you open the .dmg file.
sorry but i dont get what you are saying... i dont c any uninstaller in the .dmg file i download from their website
jasonkang93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:19 AM   #5
Hastings101
macrumors 68000
 
Hastings101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: blargh
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkang93 View Post
sorry but i dont get what you are saying... i dont c any uninstaller in the .dmg file i download from their website
Try this http://www.mediafire.com/?647cy84gam03grm it's from WineBottler, but should remove any traces of Wine on your system
__________________
Please use
continuous
text

Last edited by Hastings101; Oct 8, 2010 at 12:26 AM.
Hastings101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 07:55 AM   #6
jasonkang93
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastings101 View Post
Try this http://www.mediafire.com/?647cy84gam03grm it's from WineBottler, but should remove any traces of Wine on your system
it didnt work T<T. everythings stil there didnt even uninstall anything
any other options???
like i wouldnt mind going and deleting everything myself if someone told me all the registry directories and stuff...
jasonkang93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 08:14 AM   #7
LPZ
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkang93 View Post
it didnt work T<T. everythings stil there didnt even uninstall anything
any other options???
like i wouldnt mind going and deleting everything myself if someone told me all the registry directories and stuff...
Wine can be installed from a variety of sources, and the files can end up in a variety of places. Can you please tell us exactly what .dmg you used to install wine, and where you obtained that .dmg?
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:41 AM   #8
jasonkang93
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPZ View Post
Wine can be installed from a variety of sources, and the files can end up in a variety of places. Can you please tell us exactly what .dmg you used to install wine, and where you obtained that .dmg?
i downloaded this pack
http://www.kronenberg.org/wine/
came with winebottler too :P thnx for helping
jasonkang93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:51 AM   #9
LPZ
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkang93 View Post
i downloaded this pack
http://www.kronenberg.org/wine/
came with winebottler too :P thnx for helping
Please read this. There's even an "automatic remover" on that page.

Last edited by LPZ; Oct 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Hastings101
macrumors 68000
 
Hastings101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: blargh
I tried to do exactly what you did, and after using AppCleaner to remove all the files, I noticed I still had the open with option left just as you did.

Open up terminal (just type in terminal in spotlight), and try the following commands:

rm -rf ./wine.*
rm -rf ./wine*
rm -rf ./.wine*
rm -rf ./.wine.*

One of these will remove the option for wine to appear, I just wasn't paying attention when I was attempting to get rid of it so I'm not sure which one. It shouldn't hurt your Mac, mine's working just fine after.

oh, and don't rm -rf ./* by mistake, because that WILL hurt your Mac.
__________________
Please use
continuous
text
Hastings101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:05 PM   #11
LPZ
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastings101 View Post
I tried to do exactly what you did, and after using AppCleaner to remove all the files, I noticed I still had the open with option left just as you did.

Open up terminal (just type in terminal in spotlight), and try the following commands:

rm -rf ./wine.*
rm -rf ./wine*
rm -rf ./.wine*
rm -rf ./.wine.*

One of these will remove the option for wine to appear, I just wasn't paying attention when I was attempting to get rid of it so I'm not sure which one. It shouldn't hurt your Mac, mine's working just fine after.

oh, and don't rm -rf ./* by mistake, because that WILL hurt your Mac.
With due respect, I think the OP would be better off using the uninstall script provided by the developer. See Post #9.

(Unless you installed wine from the same source the Op did, his files may not be in the same places yours were.)
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:07 PM   #12
Hastings101
macrumors 68000
 
Hastings101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: blargh
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPZ View Post
With due respect, I think the OP would be better off using the uninstall script provided by the developer. See Post #9.

The uninstall script from the developer is actually what I gave him earlier :P, so I assumed it didn't work.
__________________
Please use
continuous
text
Hastings101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:25 PM   #13
LPZ
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastings101 View Post
The uninstall script from the developer is actually what I gave him earlier :P, so I assumed it didn't work.
Oh! Maybe he didn't run it correctly.
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Couldn't completely uninstall Java 7 Help! Kmartins1 Mac Basics and Help 2 Feb 15, 2014 08:56 PM
Seems I can't completely uninstall Oracle Java 7 JSt83 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 8 Jan 7, 2014 01:19 PM
Completely uninstall Wondershare etc Beefman88 Mac Basics and Help 1 Jun 15, 2013 07:34 AM
How do I uninstall this software completely? DarrenUK Mac Applications and Mac App Store 15 Jan 22, 2013 04:50 PM
How to *actually* uninstall an app *completely*? tsmur iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Jul 9, 2012 10:20 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC