Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Oct 7, 2010, 07:39 PM   #1
jasonkang93
macrumors newbie

How to completely uninstall wine??

Hi! i was having trouble completely uninstalling wine, ive tried wit appdeleter and such but it never really deleted the part where if u command click a exe file and click on open with, it still shows wine there! how do i completely obliterate wine from my computer?? thnx!!!
jasonkang93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 08:04 PM   #2
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkang93 View Post
Hi! i was having trouble completely uninstalling wine, ive tried wit appdeleter and such but it never really deleted the part where if u command click a exe file and click on open with, it still shows wine there! how do i completely obliterate wine from my computer?? thnx!!!
How did you install wine? Is an uninstaller bundled with the installer? Maybe you'd be better off posting here?
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Re download Wine, there is an uninstaller available in the virtual disk that's loaded when you open the .dmg file.
Hastings101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 09:50 PM   #4
jasonkang93
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastings101 View Post
Re download Wine, there is an uninstaller available in the virtual disk that's loaded when you open the .dmg file.
sorry but i dont get what you are saying... i dont c any uninstaller in the .dmg file i download from their website
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:19 AM   #5
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Quote:
sorry but i dont get what you are saying... i dont c any uninstaller in the .dmg file i download from their website
Try this http://www.mediafire.com/?647cy84gam03grm it's from WineBottler, but should remove any traces of Wine on your system

Last edited by Hastings101; Oct 8, 2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 07:55 AM   #6
jasonkang93
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Try this http://www.mediafire.com/?647cy84gam03grm it's from WineBottler, but should remove any traces of Wine on your system
it didnt work T<T. everythings stil there didnt even uninstall anything
any other options???
like i wouldnt mind going and deleting everything myself if someone told me all the registry directories and stuff...
Old Oct 8, 2010, 08:14 AM   #7
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
it didnt work T<T. everythings stil there didnt even uninstall anything
any other options???
like i wouldnt mind going and deleting everything myself if someone told me all the registry directories and stuff...
Wine can be installed from a variety of sources, and the files can end up in a variety of places. Can you please tell us exactly what .dmg you used to install wine, and where you obtained that .dmg?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:41 AM   #8
jasonkang93
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPZ View Post
Wine can be installed from a variety of sources, and the files can end up in a variety of places. Can you please tell us exactly what .dmg you used to install wine, and where you obtained that .dmg?
i downloaded this pack
http://www.kronenberg.org/wine/
came with winebottler too :P thnx for helping
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:51 AM   #9
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
i downloaded this pack
http://www.kronenberg.org/wine/
came with winebottler too :P thnx for helping
Please read this. There's even an "automatic remover" on that page.

Last edited by LPZ; Oct 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

I tried to do exactly what you did, and after using AppCleaner to remove all the files, I noticed I still had the open with option left just as you did.

Open up terminal (just type in terminal in spotlight), and try the following commands:

rm -rf ./wine.*
rm -rf ./wine*
rm -rf ./.wine*
rm -rf ./.wine.*

One of these will remove the option for wine to appear, I just wasn't paying attention when I was attempting to get rid of it so I'm not sure which one. It shouldn't hurt your Mac, mine's working just fine after.

oh, and don't rm -rf ./* by mistake, because that WILL hurt your Mac.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:05 PM   #11
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I tried to do exactly what you did, and after using AppCleaner to remove all the files, I noticed I still had the open with option left just as you did.

Open up terminal (just type in terminal in spotlight), and try the following commands:

rm -rf ./wine.*
rm -rf ./wine*
rm -rf ./.wine*
rm -rf ./.wine.*

One of these will remove the option for wine to appear, I just wasn't paying attention when I was attempting to get rid of it so I'm not sure which one. It shouldn't hurt your Mac, mine's working just fine after.

oh, and don't rm -rf ./* by mistake, because that WILL hurt your Mac.
With due respect, I think the OP would be better off using the uninstall script provided by the developer. See Post #9.

(Unless you installed wine from the same source the Op did, his files may not be in the same places yours were.)
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:07 PM   #12
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPZ View Post
With due respect, I think the OP would be better off using the uninstall script provided by the developer. See Post #9.

The uninstall script from the developer is actually what I gave him earlier :P, so I assumed it didn't work.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:25 PM   #13
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The uninstall script from the developer is actually what I gave him earlier :P, so I assumed it didn't work.
Oh! Maybe he didn't run it correctly.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X