Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
It's been about 3 months since I got my wonterful iBook. I didn't purchase an iSkin at the time but wish I had. The once pure white keyboard has shades of brown and grey ...:( as does the trackpad.

How does one go about cleaning it and restoring it to its original shine and splendour? :)

Will something like lenscleaner/windex do the trick? or what about high pressure keyboard spray?A lot of the keys themselves are slowly discoloring..

Many Thanks!

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Believe it or not, I just took a damp napkin and scrubbed the life out of the dark spots. They aren't completely gone, but you have to know they're there and really look to actually see them. I've never had key problems, but I assume it'd work the same.

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
I've had great success with a moist towel and a little dollop of dish soap. Not too much water, not too much soap - and it cleans it right up.

I've never had a lot of success getting rid of the dirt under the keyboard however.

iBOOKnewbie

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2004
toothpaste does the job...very well

I have asked a few people about cleaning iBOOKs. And short of going out to buy an iClean kit, you can save a couple of bucks using ordinary toothpaste..... toothpaste with plague control if you think that helps.....but toothpaste works!! :)

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
jesuscandle said:
I've never had a lot of success getting rid of the dirt under the keyboard however.

Vaccum cleaner. ;) If you have a small shopvac, run the brush nozzle over the keyboard and it'll suck all the crumbs, hair, etc. right up.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Im gonna put a vote in for iKlean, It works wonders on my Powerbook.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
What about the palm rest area? My wife's ibook has two actual handprints on the palm rest area. Nothing takes them off - soap, windex, iclean, oxyclean..nothing...

any advice?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
iKlean always takes that off of my PB, but try warm water and a paper towel and some elbow grease.

edit: how much iClean do you use, I spray it on heavy than rub it in and it takes it right off.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
ya if its really dirty i just dump my ibook right into the dishwasher or sometimes the washing machine , keep it on a lower speed and things should be ok . Oh and also remember to take out the battery before you do this.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Espnetboy3 said:
ya if its really dirty i just dump my ibook right into the dishwasher or sometimes the washing machine , keep it on a lower speed and things should be ok . Oh and also remember to take out the battery before you do this.

:D

But you should make sure to set interference robustness on Airport first. The computer has a hard time maintaining a connection with the internet when it's spinning around.

:D

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
I've found that for cleaning keyboards I like to use a kimwipe (lint free tissue) which has been very lightly dampened with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2005
Espnetboy3 said:

The dishwasher? I just bought an ibook and I'm waiting for it arrive...can you really do this?

sgarringer

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
greenguy4 said:
The dishwasher? I just bought an ibook and I'm waiting for it arrive...can you really do this?

you need to have a special dishwasher, its a new model from GE.

I have one, please send your iBook to me and I will wash it for you.

PM me and I'll give you my address.

iBOOKnewbie

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2004
IPA or detergent

antispetic swipes contain Isopropyl alcohol, the same stuff in iClean, so check your medical kit for antiseptic swipes..............

As for the washing machine, you will have to spend a few more bucks to get the right detergent.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
well....... i use mr.cleans magic eraser and it works wonders... ;) i got it at wal-mart for like 2 dollars :eek:

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
dswoodley said:
What about the palm rest area? My wife's ibook has two actual handprints on the palm rest area. Nothing takes them off - soap, windex, iclean, oxyclean..nothing...

any advice?

be sure to wash your hands properly BEFORE using the iBook. i have had similar stains from normal use (yes, oils in your skin along with dead skin falling off of your hands leave this lovely color on your iBook) if you clean the iBook frequently with water and a dry towel you should have no problem. if it has built up over time without cleaning im not sure what would clean it except for more scrubbing.

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
CubaTBird said:
well....... i use mr.cleans magic eraser and it works wonders... ;) i got it at wal-mart for like 2 dollars :eek:

aah... great idea.... I like this better than spraying some kind of liquid over the keys. Heading to Wallyworld now.................................................

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Dishwasher?

An iBook is a relatively sensitive device, I'm not sure how it can stand getting wet to that extent et cetera.

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
JeffTL said:
Dishwasher?

An iBook is a relatively sensitive device, I'm not sure how it can stand getting wet to that extent et cetera.

True, dishwasher might be a bit harsh. Handwashing may be a gentler approach..

iBOOKnewbie

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2004
after you get them nicely polished white and clean......you might wanna to invest in a keyboard cover..... they come in various colours, white, blue , green and pink!

A bit costly, but then so is a washing machine

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Get iKlear. Its what Applecare suggests, and it has worked very well on both my and my girlfriend's powerbooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.