Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we approach Apple's "Back to the Mac" media event on Wednesday, October 20th, rumors are ramping up about what Apple is expected to introduce.

A leaked image of a prototype MacBook Air seems to confirm rumors that Apple is working on a new form of Solid State Drive (SSD) that could push notebook's size and cost down. Looking back at reports this past year, it seems many of these details (and one additional one) have been previously predicted through the supply chain.

As far back as July, DigiTimes reported that an 11.6" MacBook Air with a slimmer and lighter design was gearing up for production:
Kuo, citing discussions with upstream component makers, noted that the 11.6-inch MacBook Air will feature an even slimmer and lighter design than the previous-generation models and the technologies used for the design and concept are expected to be broadly used in the company's other product lines to boost their competitiveness.
DigiTimes also specified that the new MacBook Air would use one of Intel's Ultra Low Voltage processors. While Intel offers multiple "Ultra Low Voltage" (ULV) Core 2 Duo processors, the Core i7 ULV seems the most likely candidate.

073855-corei7t.png

Intel also offers Core i3 and Core i5 ULV chips but those top out at only 1.2GHz. One analyst also predicted that the new MacBook Air would come in two models, and that based on high unit projections, the new Airs were likely to come in at a lower starting price. In fact, CNet has since described the starting price as "much lower" then the current $1499 entry level.

111724-back_to_the_mac_invite.jpg

As for Mac OS X, Apple's invitation with the Lion image clearly hints that the next major revision of Mac OS X (10.7) will finally be revealed. Apple has long named their major Mac OS X releases after various cat names. Early rumors suggested that Apple might have introduced 10.7 earlier this year, but it seems the company's resources were focused on iOS at the time. The only real hint we've had at 10.7 was a very intriguing job description from July in which Apple was looking for someone to focus on a "revolutionary new feature" for Mac OS X.
Are you looking to help create something totally new? Something that has never been done before and will truly amaze everyone? Are you excited by the prospect that what you helped create would be used every day by millions of Apple customers? Then come and work on with the Mac OS X software engineering team to help build a new and revolutionary feature for Mac OS X.
The language of the job description seemed much more specific than Apple's usual recruitment language. Of course, it's possible that this amazing feature could be slated for the next version of Mac OS X, but the timing seems right for 10.7.

Apple's media event kicks off at 10am Pacific on Wednesday, October 20th. We'll provide ongoing coverage of the news and events.

Article Link: New MacBook Air and Revolutionary Mac OS X Feature on Wednesday?

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
Facebook and Twitter integration so all your friends know you just pressed the space bar.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I hope Lion will have more focus on graphics drivers etc since gaming is really starting to set camp in OSX.

Also be interesting to see what the new air looks like (if one does get announced) probably wont be buying one though.. no need for one and they are probably still going to be super expensive for little power.

Jacquear

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Australia
I want something in between the the iMac and Mac Pro won't happen I don't think,

Looking forward to seeing the new Air's I really want one but not for the specs for that price

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I heard this at The Talk Show with John Gruber:

Gruber had heard a story; Apparently Steve Jobs went to the guys making MacBooks and OS X and had an iPad with him and he pushed the sleep button to put it to sleep and he then pushed it again to wake it. He then pointed at the MacBooks and said "Why can't I do that with that?"

So my guess is that the next generation MacBooks will have instant sleep and wake functionality.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
The UK online Apple shop said MacBook Air's were shipping in 24 hours over the weekend. They now say 2 business days, so I guess the old stock has been cleared to make way for the new models arriving on Wednesday.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
What job area was the job description for? What skills was it requiring? Web based, wasn't it?

SSD - Arn - doesn't that mean TRIM support as 10.6.x update, or 10.7? Surely they'd open up TRIM for a dedicated built in SSD like drive/capacity MacBook?

EDIT

The listing seeks a software engineer that has experience with developing Internet technologies and services, and also says that an 'exceptional candidate" would have experience with HTTP protocol and the architecture of large Web scale systems.

"Then come and work with us on the Mac OS X software engineering team to help build a new and revolutionary feature for Mac OS X...An ideal candidate for the job has a degree in computer science and five years of professional experience in developing C/C++/Objective-C libraries or frameworks for use on end user systems. Applicants with experiencing developing for Mac OS X and UNIX are desired"

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
So my guess is that the next generation MacBooks will have instant sleep and wake functionality.

They already pretty much do. Sleep takes a bit, but wake is quite instant on my Macbook.

This word Revolutionary though, I think it's getting a tad over abused. It's starting to lose its meaning.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
LOL heard of the iPhone and the iPad? Two totally revolutionary products and one of them started a new market even!

i think he means like first of its kind... phones have been around for years... apple just made a damn good one.

The ipod no one had ever done before... a mechanical hard drive that stored your music and all fit in your pocket... no one had done that before Apple.

= What he means (I think)

craigy2302

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
Scarborough, North Yorkshire
The UK online Apple shop said MacBook Air's were shipping in 24 hours over the weekend. They now say 2 business days, so I guess the old stock has been cleared to make way for the new models arriving on Wednesday.

I have just checked the online store (UK), and all products with OSX now have a 2 business day shipping date. "Lion" related?

Nonpareil

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010
None taken. I plan on buying new Airs for my entire family as Christmas presents so I hope Apple won't limit per customer!

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
They already pretty much do. Sleep takes a bit, but wake is quite instant on my Macbook.

This word Revolutionary though, I think it's getting a tad over abused. It's starting to lose its meaning.

Yeah but its not as fast as on the iPhone/iPad. You put it to sleep press the button and the screen lid up instantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.