Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
None taken. I plan on buying new Airs for my entire family as Christmas presents so I hope Apple won't limit per customer!

wuuuttttttt

Where the hell do you work? lol and you planning on taking a day off for this? it sounds like you earn thousands a day haha can you afford to take a day off !

jjp14

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
I have a break between classes at that time, so I guess i'll be skipping lunch :D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
i think he means like first of its kind... phones have been around for years... apple just made a damn good one.

The ipod no one had ever done before... a mechanical hard drive that stored your music and all fit in your pocket... no one had done that before Apple.

= What he means (I think)

Um, a bunch of people had done that before Apple. The MP3 player existed well before Apple.

Read the comments when Apple announced it
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apples-new-thing-ipod.500/

This isn't revoltionary!
I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!

trully revolutionary MY ASSSS!

http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...MainCategory=2

Creative NOMAD® Jukebox player
Capacity: 20GB hard drive (up to 340 hours at 128kbps MP3 encoding)

GO APPLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

callme

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
i think he means like first of its kind... phones have been around for years... apple just made a damn good one.

The ipod no one had ever done before... a mechanical hard drive that stored your music and all fit in your pocket... no one had done that before Apple.

Incorrect Apple were not the first with a hard drive MP3 player.

In 1998, Compaq developed the first hard drive based DAP using a 2.5" laptop drive. The player had an initial capacity of 4.8 GB, with an advertised capacity of 1200 songs.

In 2000, Creative released the 6GB hard drive based Creative NOMAD Jukebox. The name borrowed the jukebox metaphor popularised by Remote Solution and also used by Archos. Later players in the Creative NOMAD range used microdrives rather than laptop drives.

In October 2001, Apple Computer (now known as Apple Inc.) unveiled the first generation iPod, a 5 GB hard drive based DAP with a 1.8" Toshiba hard drive.

Nonpareil

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010
I have my own medical practice in Dallas and money isn't an issue.

Instant sleep/wake? Good deal. Should save us a few precious seconds.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006

Err actually the iPod was by no means the first hard drive based MP3 player when it was introduced. It was highly criticised at first due to its high cost compared to other available players, such as the Archos models.

In fact, many people were quite stunned that (after all these revolutionary computers) they had decided to join the (existing) market of digital audio players. They only broke through in this market because (in your words) they made a damn good one :)

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
oh well i stand corrected on the HDD MP3 thing, however did the others before the ipod fit in your pocket?

I dont remember them at all :S but then again i was a kid around the release of the ipod.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
To be fair, you couldn’t put the Creative Nomad in your pocket. That thing was a monster.

Attachments

• creative-nomad-jukebox.jpg
    creative-nomad-jukebox.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 160

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
oh well i stand corrected on the HDD MP3 thing, however did the others before the ipod fit in your pocket?

The flash-based ones did but they didn’t have a 5GB hard drive or an intuitive user interface.

Looking back, I would call the iPod pretty revolutionary (although few of us knew it at the time — just look at the Macrumors comment thread when it was announced). It’s sort of like the Xerox PARC (Alto/Star) vs. the Macintosh argument.

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
Are you looking to help create something totally new? Something that has never been done before ...

I'm thinking that the OS they are talking about are the multi-layered 3D interfaces as mentioned in the patents.

Attachments

• multiGUI.jpg
    multiGUI.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 252

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
nobody remembers the sony minidisc walkman?? sure, sony shot themselves in the foot with the format, but those things were TINY. it was easy to carry around a handful of those discs rather than 20 or so CDs.

I still have mine. Works a treat, i've got hours and hours of old radio stuff in crystal clear digital ;) even managed to buy an actual album on mini disc format (radiohead's the bends.)

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
SSD/RAM combo?

I remember when we'd do RAMdisks back in the day to overcome the same problem MBAs have traditionally had: RAM deficit. Maybe Apple, with all their flash expertise, has developed a way to utilize or optimize SSD silicone to function like RAM? Wishful thinking?

I would have bought a MBA years ago had they had the capability to go 4GB.

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
img

this was it! sure, these days it's just silly but back then everyone else only had the cd walkmans (or other company equivalent) ... one AA battery, saved me from going mad on many trips :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.