Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:48 AM   #1
slooksterPSV
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to slooksterPSV Send a message via MSN to slooksterPSV Send a message via Yahoo to slooksterPSV
iMac G3 "333MHz" - Max Hard Drive Upgrade

How big of a hard drive can I put in an iMac G3 333MHz? It comes with a 6GB Standard hard drive. I would like to upgrade the Drive to at least a 40GB one, if possible a 60GB one.

Everymac.com iMac G3 333MHz- http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl.../imac_333.html
Old Jan 7, 2005, 01:13 AM   #2
strider42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooksterPSV
How big of a hard drive can I put in an iMac G3 333MHz? It comes with a 6GB Standard hard drive. I would like to upgrade the Drive to at least a 40GB one, if possible a 60GB one.

Everymac.com iMac G3 333MHz- http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl.../imac_333.html
the max formatted size is 127 gigs. so something a bit bigger than that will give you the maximum size when you take formatting into account. see djonmac.com for instructions and hints on the upgrade.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:39 AM   #3
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

I think 120GB is the Maximum size for a hard drive. If you install OS X you will have to partition it so that you start off of the first 8 GiB, or 7.4 GB. (Call it 7GB to play it safe)
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2005, 03:26 AM   #4
strider42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcozmo
I think 120GB is the Maximum size for a hard drive. If you install OS X you will have to partition it so that you start off of the first 8 GiB, or 7.4 GB. (Call it 7GB to play it safe)
good point. actually, its a good idea to make an OS partition contained within the first 8 gigs even if you are running OS 9 on it. Os 9 doesn't have to be on a partition wholl contained within the first 8 gigs like Os X, but the system files must reside there. So if you don't partitoin and the drive gets relaly fragmented, it won't boot. Also, it bears keeping in mind that you can make the partition substantially smaller than 8 gigs as well, in case you want to have multiple bootable partitions for whatever reason.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:40 AM   #5
Mertzen
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Mertzen
Just buy a 120GB now .. they are dirt cheap and better then the old 40 GB or 60GB ones you can still find ..
Mertzen is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:53 PM   #6
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider42
good point. actually, its a good idea to make an OS partition contained within the first 8 gigs even if you are running OS 9 on it. Os 9 doesn't have to be on a partition wholl contained within the first 8 gigs like Os X, but the system files must reside there. So if you don't partitoin and the drive gets relaly fragmented, it won't boot. Also, it bears keeping in mind that you can make the partition substantially smaller than 8 gigs as well, in case you want to have multiple bootable partitions for whatever reason.
I'd say, two partitions:
1) 7 GB, OS X install
2) the rest, misc. files

but if you are planning on doing some PS work on it, or perhaps video ( ) work, then I'd say this:
1) 7 GB, OS X install
2) 42 GB, Misc. Documents
3) the rest, PS/Video scratch disk (this way, you can wipe this partition clean numerous times so that your video and PS files don't get fragmented)

Remember to update your iMac's Firmware before installing OS X, otherwise, bad juju! And I mean bad juju. So use the OS 8 or 9 install already on there to do the firmware update, then swap the drives for your new OS X one which needs to be installed.
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers