Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Using as boot SSD, using it as Firewire port, using it as e-SATA port, using it as .... . There are many ExpressCard /34 cards out there. Maybe you find one to your liking and even needs?

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
You can add pretty much any kind of port to the MBP using the expresscard slot, esata, usb3 or more usb2 or fw800 ports. You can also get bluetooth mice or remotes that can be stored in there. Why you would want a mouse that size is beyond me but it does goes to show that there is quite a variety of expresscard accessories.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
USB3 and eSata are the big ones i can think of. There are various digital music interfaces too i believe.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Nice! I would like a card with some media reader ports and SATA too. Where do you find these cards?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
For 80 or so bucks you can buy an adapter that'll go Into your expresscard slot and give you 1 or 2 full sized desktop pci-e 16x slots. You can't run the very latest twin sli cards with 1 Gb of memory because of limitations of the Ex car itself, but lightweigt video cards as well as pretty much anything that has Apple drivers (windows drivers if you use bootcamp) can be installed on the MBP. expresscard owners don't know how blessed they are :').

henry999

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
throughput & bottlenecks

OK, I've found an external 2.5" drive enclosure from AMS (called the DS-2188NEU3) which accepts an HDD or SSD at SATA I / II. It bridges the drive to USB 3.0. The other end is an ExpressCard/34 card with a USB 3.0 port. Now, with such a chain

SATA II > USB 3.0 > ExpressCard/34 (PCIe?)

what kind of throughput into the MBP could a guy expect? Where would be the weakest link / bottleneck? Would it be better (in real life terms) than FireWire800?

TIA

cheers,

Henry

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
OK, I've found an external 2.5" drive enclosure from AMS (called the DS-2188NEU3) which accepts an HDD or SSD at SATA I / II. It bridges the drive to USB 3.0. The other end is an ExpressCard/34 card with a USB 3.0 port. Now, with such a chain

SATA II > USB 3.0 > ExpressCard/34 (PCIe?)

what kind of throughput into the MBP could a guy expect? Where would be the weakest link / bottleneck? Would it be better (in real life terms) than FireWire800?

TIA

cheers,

Henry

And this my friends, is why we need Light Peak. It's like a compact version of EC/34.

SATA2 supported. USB1-2-3 supported, mDP supported, Ethernet supported, FW supported, HDMI supported, the list goes on and on.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
USB2
USB3
FW400
FW800
ESATA
SPDIF I/O
Modem
Ethernet

Also, 3G and Wimax modems

I can't think of any other ports people would be interested in having on their laptop.

I ment links to like a usb3 port that I could use. slim fit ofc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.