Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c3fcc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
So I've had this MBP for over a year and still haven't used the Expresscard slot. Any suggestions?

poematik14

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2009
They make SSD's that fit inside there and you can boot off of them too. They come in 16, 32, and 48GB sizes AFAIK. Check newegg

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
SSD/Card Reader/Network Adapter/FireWire Adapter/USB Adapter/eSATA adapter/etc.

I can't believe you even felt the need to ask. It's just as versatile if not more so than the PCMCIA slots of yore.

c3fcc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
SSD/Card Reader/Network Adapter/FireWire Adapter/USB Adapter/eSATA adapter/etc.

I can't believe you even felt the need to ask. It's just as versatile if not more so than the PCMCIA slots of yore.

Just looking for something different than all of the network adapters and extra ports which I don't need. The SSD is exactly the kind of suggestion I was looking for. Sounds like a nice option for running bootcamp. Thanks.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Just looking for something different than all of the network adapters and extra ports which I don't need. The SSD is exactly the kind of suggestion I was looking for. Sounds like a nice option for running bootcamp. Thanks.
Check and make sure that your specific model of MBP and any specific model of ExpressCard SSD support direct booting using Boot Camp. I've heard that some models of MBP/some SSDs do not work with Boot Camp.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
They make SSD's that fit inside there and you can boot off of them too. They come in 16, 32, and 48GB sizes AFAIK. Check newegg

I have the 48GB one and use it in one of my MBPs as a boot disk. Works really nice and fast, but it does get a bit warm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.