Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Has there been any confirmation that apps installed through the Mac App Store will be available to all the users on the computer?

For iTunes music they say you can authorize up to five computers, but they really mean five user accounts or iTunes libraries. Since the apps will be tied to an AppleID, I wonder if they will be installed only to an individual user account instead of the root applications folder.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Has there been any confirmation that apps installed through the Mac App Store will be available to all the users on the computer?

For iTunes music they say you can authorize up to five computers, but they really mean five user accounts or iTunes libraries. Since the apps will be tied to an AppleID, I wonder if they will be installed only to an individual user account instead of the root applications folder.

I can't remember how it was phrased or how it works, but the impression I got from whatever SJ said was that it will be like Home Sharing and iTunes so that all computers on the network will be able to use the apps.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I am not a developer but if I was I'd want to see choices as to how my app my "licensed" through the app store. I suspect you'll see some balking at having an app available to multiple users and/or computers - in essence making all apps something like a "family pack" without some choice in the matter.....oh yeah!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Duff-man needs to learn proper English and not reference himself in the third person. Those type of posts were funny for about 2 minutes 8 years ago. Its 2010.

As for the topic, its probably too early to tell, but I think the licensing will be tied to the computer, just like any other application. I'm not sure there's too much wisdom in letting anyone on the same network use the app once purchased.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Duff-Man says....I am not a developer but if I was I'd want to see choices as to how my app my "licensed" through the app store. I suspect you'll see some balking at having an app available to multiple users and/or computers - in essence making all apps something like a "family pack" without some choice in the matter.....oh yeah!

I thought it was funny ;0)

pac

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
The app store uses your Apple ID to access purchased apps, so unless you share your ID with other users of the same machine, they won't be accessible for them, I'm afraid.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Not true, Macaroony. Other members here have already verified that once the app is authorized for any user account, it's accessible by all users on that machine. That fits with the terms of service, too.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.