Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

View Poll Results: Should Apple continue to Update the iPod classic?
Yes 55 73.33%
No 7 9.33%
Doesn't Matter 13 17.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:24 PM   #1
DrumApple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Apple iPod classic Update?

Are they ever going to update the iPod classic?! I think it's crazy they don't update before the holidays 2010. 160GB is so weak for $250 now!
DrumApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:51 PM   #2
FixYouriTunes
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Francisco
Yes tell me about it. I've been waiting for an updated Classic for a while now. I'm on my second 160GB Classic now and I'm hoping soon they will have a 250GB for 250! That's wish!
__________________
-Michael Greene
http://www.FixYouriTunes.com
FixYouriTunes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:21 AM   #3
timerollson
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: heretothere
I hope so. I only have 9GB left on my 160GB (latest revision) iPod Classic. I know people argue that the iPod Touch is a better alternative, but for me, I like the convenience of having my entire music library on hand.

I've tried just using my iPhone 4 but I've found that when I'm in the mood for certain songs, it's probably not on there. The 16GB is so limited an I'm sure it will probably be at least 5-10 years before a 250GB iPhone is in existence, if ever.
__________________
You're mean on the Internet.
timerollson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 03:50 PM   #4
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Yes, I'm also one of those who likes to have my entire music collection with me when I travel, so I'm a fan of the classic, too.

While I love the Touch, too, (I have the 64GB) it is nice to have all of your music collection on one device.

Cheers
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 03:53 PM   #5
appleguy123
macrumors 603
 
appleguy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 15 minutes in the future
Apple should just make little flash chips that fit flush inside the 30 pin connector. You could have your music with you everywhere, without worrying about space.
__________________
[Steve Jobs was] brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it. -Barack Obama
appleguy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Merthyrboy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
They should update it by either making it cheaper, more battery or more storage. hopefully they'll do all three though
Merthyrboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 01:01 AM   #7
iEvolution
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
Apple should just make little flash chips that fit flush inside the 30 pin connector. You could have your music with you everywhere, without worrying about space.
The reason they don't do this is because capacity is a big selling point for new models, by not having microSD support there would be no need for users of older models to upgrade.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Shaneuk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I'd love to have a 500gb one and a 1tb one, that would be amazing.
Shaneuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 02:01 PM   #9
Twizz91
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I think they are going to discontinue the classic, and upgrade the ipod touch to 128gb flash.

Hasn't anyone noticed how steve did nót point the classic as an ipod during the september event (the one with the 'complete ipod make-over') He did not once notice the Classic.
So i think it's end of road for the Classic....
Twizz91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:19 PM   #10
appleguy123
macrumors 603
 
appleguy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 15 minutes in the future
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
The reason they don't do this is because capacity is a big selling point for new models, by not having microSD support there would be no need for users of older models to upgrade.
Make the chips expensive and don't allow 3rd parties to reproduce them.
__________________
[Steve Jobs was] brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it. -Barack Obama
appleguy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:23 PM   #11
ArmCortexA8
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Terra Australis
If people rememember the iPod Classic came out as 160Gb, then they cut the capacity back to 120GB, then they went back to 160GB. The reason why the Classic still sells well is because of capacity, as it has 1.8" hard disk inside it which is extremeley durable. Hell mine has dropped a couple of times and never missed a beat. I suppose Apple could put a touch screen in the classic with it existing hardware, this way people have the best of both. There has been no Firmware updates to the iPod Classic for over a year.

The iPhone 4 / iPod Touch all use DDR-RAM, not NAND which is used in SSD drives. The DDR is cheaper to produce and more common, unlike NAND used in SSD drives which is usually MLC (Multi Level Cell), rarely SLC (Single Level Cell). True the classic still uses a hard disk, but because these are so common and such high capacity the price of the HDD is very low, especially in the quantities Apple purchase from Hitachi etc. If Apple were to remove the HDD and replace it with a similar capacity 160GB SSD module, the price would make it more expensive than the top end iPod touch.

This is because NAND manufacturing is still pretty minimal and only a select few fabrication plants actually manufacture it - Samsung being the majority stakeholder, and due to this the price remains high. The simple idea of supply and demand. Currently between SSD / HDD the situation is the following - SSD very high speed lower capacity vs HDD slower speed larger capacity. Currently, its uneconomical to have the best of both worlds.

In the end Apple will either kill off the Classic or keep selling it till the Ipod Touch range and their capacities can be increased gradually to meet or exceed the 160GB Classic.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus Gold 128GB / Apple iPod Touch 64GB 5th Gen (Retina) / Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15" / i7 Quad Core / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD / Intel Iris and Nvidia GeForce 750M.
ArmCortexA8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:27 AM   #12
Kestrel452
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
There comes a point where adding more storage just becomes not worth it. 160GB is a TON of storage.
Kestrel452 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Derkatwork
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Milwaukee
They should discontinue it. There comes a point where the old must yield to the new. The storage space of ipod touches are slowly increasing and have a large arsenal of features that the classic is highly unlikely to get. I'm only surprised that they haven't stopped it already. Maybe they are waiting until ipod touches get ~160 GB of storage space; since at that point they will outclass the classic in all respects.
__________________
Proud owner of an IPad 2 32GB
Aluminum Macbook Pro: 2.53 GHz, 4 GB Ram
Derkatwork is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:18 PM   #14
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
They've been using Toshiba 1.8" drives in these for years.

The largest one that Toshiba currently make is 320Gb with a 250Gb model in the same range, but whether they're at a bulk trade price that can enable Apple to keep their usual high margins and still have a product that people will pay for is another thing altogether. There also comes a point where the clickwheel becomes awkward to use with the number of files a gadget like this could hold, so having some idea of how Steve Jobs is incredibly fussy about interfaces, this also might play a part in its future and form factor.

I suspect they can't, or won't take the Classic much further.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:40 PM   #15
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derkatwork View Post
...since at that point they will outclass the classic in all respects.
Except for the price.
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:48 PM   #16
Twizz91
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
Except for the price.
Unfortunately the price has never been a worry for Apple
Twizz91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:37 PM   #17
Derkatwork
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Milwaukee
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
Except for the price.
The features (and there are a lot of them) definitely outweigh the price difference. Also, how many people actually fill an ipod classic? The screen is too small to watch movies (in my opinion at least). Again, based on me, I can barely fill a 16 GB iphone (let alone my 32 GB iphone). At 64GB or maybe 120 in the next generation or two, that will be a considerable amount that most won't fill, other than the people that want an entire movie collection on their ipod for some reason.
__________________
Proud owner of an IPad 2 32GB
Aluminum Macbook Pro: 2.53 GHz, 4 GB Ram
Derkatwork is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:44 PM   #18
iBookG4user
macrumors 604
 
iBookG4user's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derkatwork View Post
The features (and there are a lot of them) definitely outweigh the price difference. Also, how many people actually fill an ipod classic? The screen is too small to watch movies (in my opinion at least). Again, based on me, I can barely fill a 16 GB iphone (let alone my 32 GB iphone). At 64GB or maybe 120 in the next generation or two, that will be a considerable amount that most won't fill, other than the people that want an entire movie collection on their ipod for some reason.
Some people do not need all of the features and just want something that will play music and let them watch videos on it. Personally I have an iPhone, but I also have an iPod Video and I don't mind watching movies on the 2.5" screen. That's why there are more than 1 iPod, because different people have different needs.
__________________
*Super high tech stuff goes here*
iBookG4user is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:56 PM   #19
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3
 
TuffLuffJimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
I'd love to have an iPod classic with a 500GB hard disk, better battery life, no stupid fancy interface, and a thicker body.

My favorite iPod design is the third generation iPod with the glowing red touch buttons. An updated version of that would be sick especially with a glass face.
__________________
"Next PM I get from you about this, and it gets posted as my signature." --*LTD*
TuffLuffJimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:40 AM   #20
DrumApple
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel452 View Post
There comes a point where adding more storage just becomes not worth it. 160GB is a TON of storage.
I disagree, yes 160GB is a lot of storage for the average person. But iPod classics are intended for the hardcore music collectors etc. with a need for A LOT of storage space. For them, 160GB is not much today. Look at computer HD's, the second level iMac already has a terabyte!

I wouldn't mind if they retire the actual hard-drive discs and change to flash memory- but come on give us an update! We're paying nearly $1.56 per gigabyte on these!
DrumApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:11 AM   #21
Peter.Howard
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia.
My guess would be that Apple just replaces the Ipod Classic with an updated Ipod touch with more memory and the better display from the Iphone 4.
I'm sure from their point of view the Classic is an outdated product, with this touch screen OS.


The Ipod Classic does not really look much different to the first Ipod.
Peter.Howard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:39 AM   #22
Derkatwork
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Milwaukee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumApple View Post
I disagree, yes 160GB is a lot of storage for the average person. But iPod classics are intended for the hardcore music collectors etc. with a need for A LOT of storage space. For them, 160GB is not much today. Look at computer HD's, the second level iMac already has a terabyte!

I wouldn't mind if they retire the actual hard-drive discs and change to flash memory- but come on give us an update! We're paying nearly $1.56 per gigabyte on these!
I highly doubt that even music junkies have 160GB of only music and no video. I doubt there is more than 5% of people that fill that to the ~40,000 song limit. And IF you have that much music, do you listen to it all? Or is it taking up space without being listened to? I only have 1.5 GB, but I cycle through it all. And the fact that mac hard drive has that much space is a different story too. Full computers have programs that take up a few GB. They typically handle much large files (and more of them) and need the extra space (although a terabyte is a bit excessive I must admit).
__________________
Proud owner of an IPad 2 32GB
Aluminum Macbook Pro: 2.53 GHz, 4 GB Ram
Derkatwork is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:41 AM   #23
runnin17
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
They should not change the ipod classic other than to give it more storage space. It is perfect the way it is!!!!

I for one would hate to have a touch. The touch screen is not nearly as functional as the click wheel. The click wheel is perfect for a music only device IMO because you don't have to mess with looking at the frickin' screen if you want to change songs or even change the volume.

I would be happy with a 256GB flash storage option or heck even a 320GB 1.8" HDD option would make me happy.

I have had my 160GB classic filled since the second week I have had it.
runnin17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:50 AM   #24
jeffy.dee-lux
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin17 View Post
I for one would hate to have a touch. The touch screen is not nearly as functional as the click wheel. The click wheel is perfect for a music only device IMO because you don't have to mess with looking at the frickin' screen if you want to change songs or even change the volume.
it.
I agree about the interface. If all you want it for is music, the touch screen is less useful and it adds a lot to the cost. I want my money to go towards storage and not the iOS stuff. A 128GB Touch will be way too expensive for me. I'd love a 128GB flash-based storage Classic at $279, that would be perfect for me.
jeffy.dee-lux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:57 AM   #25
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derkatwork View Post
The features (and there are a lot of them) definitely outweigh the price difference. Also, how many people actually fill an ipod classic? The screen is too small to watch movies (in my opinion at least). Again, based on me, I can barely fill a 16 GB iphone (let alone my 32 GB iphone). At 64GB or maybe 120 in the next generation or two, that will be a considerable amount that most won't fill, other than the people that want an entire movie collection on their ipod for some reason.
The extra features of the touch are great if you need them and a complete waste of money if you don't.

I use my 160 GB classic for music only and I'm down to my last 5 GB. I've got an iPhone for the fancy stuff but I just like to plug my iPod into the speakers at work and let it play. The classic is perfect for this.
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resolved: Old iPod classic won't play music: New iPod classic Frozen Scepticalscribe iPod 3 Feb 19, 2014 05:18 PM
iPod Classic Update? NoNoise iPod 60 Sep 22, 2013 12:28 AM
ipod classic update on september 10th tomtanojevic iPod 50 Sep 17, 2013 02:57 AM
Think Apple will update the Classic Mac Pro? ChitoCrisis Mac Pro 7 Jun 10, 2013 05:33 PM
iPod Classic update? LJSurfa iPod 42 Apr 10, 2013 08:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC