Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple continue to Update the iPod classic?

• Yes

Votes: 55 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Doesn't Matter

Votes: 13 17.3%

• Total voters

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
more than 160gb... in music ????

I will admit the need for a larger size if there is someone with that large of a collection that was 100% purchased , not downloaded for free anywhere

I can just fit my collection on my Classic (about 2gb spare at the moment), but I have to downgrade everything to 128kbps to get it on. I'd like to put a couple of live videos on as well and have it at 256kbps (if only to speed up syncing), but need a bigger capacity to do that.

I have less than 100 free downloads in my collection, which are songs that are deleted so can't be purchased legally.

EDIT to say that I don't believe that these products are likely to be, or should be, upgraded to account for people like me, who make up a very small proportion of the population. However, enough people want to have their music in lossless format, or add some video, so there would be demand for larger capacity.

I suspect Apple won't upgrade the HDD classic, but as SSD's get cheaper we are likely in a few years time to see very large capacity SSD iPods available.

Last edited:

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
My guess right now is that Apple with the 5G iPod touch due September 2011 finally phase out the iPod classic and replace it with the 128 GB capacity iPod touch.

littleman23408

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
My guess right now is that Apple with the 5G iPod touch due September 2011 finally phase out the iPod classic and replace it with the 128 GB capacity iPod touch.

But isn't the 64 GB touch like $400? If they make a 128 GB touch, i'm sure it will be bloody expensive. It would be cool to have that much storage on a touch, but I would not buy it for as much as i'm sure that thing will cost.

petsy

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
Not that I have a ton of tunes in that format, but FLAC compatibility would obviously be nice on a future iPod Classic. Sizewise, I don't think they should try and make it smaller. It doesn't need to be. Who says everything has to become thinner and thinner? I love the weight and feel of my iPod. Apple are already ahead of the competition on this, but I really think they and other makers should focus on making well built and solid units that have a real physical quality to them. That's way more important than thickness (and, for the most part, features). This is one way electronics have really become worse as the years have gone by.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
But isn't the 64 GB touch like $400? If they make a 128 GB touch, i'm sure it will be bloody expensive. It would be cool to have that much storage on a touch, but I would not buy it for as much as i'm sure that thing will cost.

I would agree, but with the price of flash RAM still going down, I wouldn't be surprised that Apple prices the next-generation iPod touch at these prices:

32 GB US$229
64 GB US$299
128 GB US$399

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
I would agree, but with the price of flash RAM still going down, I wouldn't be surprised that Apple prices the next-generation iPod touch at these prices:

32 GB US$229
64 GB US$299
128 GB US$399

Regardless... i would not be willing to pay 400$ for 128GB, especially considering i can get 160GB for $279 right now. Some people don't want to have to pay for a touch screen, wifi, iOS in something they just want to use as a music player. The question is whether Apple wants to continue producing a product for that market segment or if they'll just focus on fancier gadgets. I would buy a 128GB flash-based Classic if it came in at the same price as the current iPod. I'd be willing to take a hit in storage space for the solid state drive, I've probably still got a few years before I fill 128GB of music, but i will definitely get there. I'd also like to keep my photos on me, but I'm happy either looking at them on the small iPod screen, or plugging into a computer if I want to show them full size.

nightpwnsj00

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Not that I have a ton of tunes in that format, but FLAC compatibility would obviously be nice on a future iPod Classic. Sizewise, I don't think they should try and make it smaller. It doesn't need to be. Who says everything has to become thinner and thinner? I love the weight and feel of my iPod. Apple are already ahead of the competition on this, but I really think they and other makers should focus on making well built and solid units that have a real physical quality to them. That's way more important than thickness (and, for the most part, features). This is one way electronics have really become worse as the years have gone by.

Ahhhh, FLAC would be amazing, as would the Classic not shrinking (or disappearing all together!). I happen to enjoy the heft compared to my Nano. The Nano gets knocked around so much because there's honestly nothing to it, and the thinness isn't that comfortable when compared to my Classic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.