Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
NOPE! My only regret is i have the 4 g ram model and donesnt seem faster than the 2 , oh well, what screen issue? It really is not an issue like anything in life you'll get used to it.

acemics

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
I have the 11.6 64GB 4GB and no real issues at all. I use it mostly for Internet research, email, bill paying and working on my novel using Scrivener. I have not seen an instance where I have used more then half the available memory. I love the portability and how quick it comes to life when opening the lid to work. I am very pleased.

macnerd123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Pennsylvania
NOPE! My only regret is i have the 4 g ram model and donesnt seem faster than the 2 , oh well, what screen issue? It really is not an issue like anything in life you'll get used to it.

The issue where the screen goes black on wake up and the vertical multi-colored lines. I don't mean that the screen is smaller. I agree, that is not an issue.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
besides the screen issues...:)

I have no screen issues, battery life isnt as good as I'd hoped but not a deal breaker. Otherwise it's everything I wanted and more

ram doesnt make your laptop faster. It's designed to not be noticed. It only helps prevent it from slowing down when you are power using cpu intense apps and multiple app tasking

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
ram doesnt make your laptop faster. It's designed to not be noticed. It only helps prevent it from slowing down when you are power using cpu intense apps and multiple app tasking

That is not an entirely accurate statement. RAM does come into play when multiple applications are opened, but performance degradation would only come into play if and when the amount of RAM requested exceeds that available and the system has to page out inactive items to slower disk space. It has little if anything to do with "power using CPU". You can have a very intensive CPU application and it can use little if any RAM.

At any rate, for what the 11" is designed for, you probably can't go wrong with 2GB, unless you blatantly try to use it for something that you wouldn't use on a larger machine with the same specs (i.e Photoshop, video editing, etc)

macnerd123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Pennsylvania
Do you think I should get the 1.4 GHz model with 128GB flash storage and 4GB of memory? I will use word processing, internet, itunes, ichat, and rarely iLife.:apple:

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
Do you think I should get the 1.4 GHz model with 128GB flash storage and 4GB of memory? I will use word processing, internet, itunes, ichat, and rarely iLife.:apple:

1.4 is enough.. go with the 128gb like i did :apple::);)

do the unboxing at apple store if you are buying in-store then check for the creak sound by pressing the (black plastic)

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007

For the apps you described, you'll be fine with the 1.4/2GB model. Whether or not you need the 64 vs. 128 GB FS will depend on how much media files you plan to keep on your MBA. I have large 1080p mkv files on my MBA, and so I need the 128GB FS. Otherwise, 64GB would have been sufficient.

macnerd123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Pennsylvania
For the apps you described, you'll be fine with the 1.4/2GB model. Whether or not you need the 64 vs. 128 GB FS will depend on how much media files you plan to keep on your MBA. I have large 1080p mkv files on my MBA, and so I need the 128GB FS. Otherwise, 64GB would have been sufficient.

Does it run 1080p videos smoothly?

macnerd123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Pennsylvania
1.4 is enough.. go with the 128gb like i did :apple::);)

do the unboxing at apple store if you are buying in-store then check for the creak sound by pressing the (black plastic)

Do you think I could use it as my primary computer. To replace my late 2007 macbook

macnerd123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Pennsylvania
Let me ask this. Would it be worth it to spend 200 dollars extra for the 13 inch model with 4GB just to get the 1.86 GHz processor. I don't care about the screen sizes and besides that the RAM would be the same. Is there a difference between the 1.4 GHz processor and 1.86 GHz? :confused:

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
well, i use the base 11" but upgraded the ram to 4GB.

one thing i can say is it's silent, it's even cold like the iPad, and much much better than my old rev B 1.86ghz with 128GB SSD.

the rev B i got still has some keneltask issue where this new 11" is dead silent.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
Let me ask this. Would it be worth it to spend 200 dollars extra for the 13 inch model with 4GB just to get the 1.86 GHz processor. I don't care about the screen sizes and besides that the RAM would be the same. Is there a difference between the 1.4 GHz processor and 1.86 GHz? :confused:

if you are going to use this as your primary go with 13" if secondary just buy the 11"

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
I had a bad experience. I went and looked at one at best buy. I felt bad that I couldn't buy one

macnerd123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Pennsylvania
well, i use the base 11" but upgraded the ram to 4GB.

one thing i can say is it's silent, it's even cold like the iPad, and much much better than my old rev B 1.86ghz with 128GB SSD.

the rev B i got still has some keneltask issue where this new 11" is dead silent.

as a primary computer?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.