Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:56 PM   #1
sweeper604
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Connecting Apple cinema 27" display to pc

I was wondering if there is an adapter or cable of some sort where you can plug in the minidisplay port from the ACD to dvi from the video card of a pc?
sweeper604 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601
 
Eddyisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-DVI-Mini.../dp/B002QPWBEK or something of that nature.
__________________
iCloud Logo Courtesy of : JiP
Eddyisgreat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:38 PM   #3
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816
 
CubeHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Nope, thats single link only. He will need the Atlona DP-400 (must be the 400) to properly display at the full resolution.
CubeHacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:03 PM   #4
sweeper604
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
thanks for the replys.
Wow thats quite a pricy adapter! I was doing some research and i'm thinking that if i upgrade my video card and buy the Radeon 6850 or 6870 (which comes with a minidisplay port plug) then I can use it to connect to the cinema display, which would seem to be a better value than buying that adapter.
sweeper604 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:26 AM   #5
MH01
macrumors 68030
 
MH01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
go video card...

I would recommend a ATI video card that supports mini display port out. The adapters franky cost too much and are a hack, and do not give you full control of resolutions.

I got a 6870 to run a 24 LED and 27 imac in display mode, works a treat, just do your research which cards work. The new ATI cards even allow for sound to work through the mini displayport
MH01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:49 PM   #6
fts3v3r
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post
I would recommend a ATI video card that supports mini display port out. The adapters franky cost too much and are a hack, and do not give you full control of resolutions.

I got a 6870 to run a 24 LED and 27 imac in display mode, works a treat, just do your research which cards work. The new ATI cards even allow for sound to work through the mini displayport
I'm actually thinking about getting at 27" imac and using it my main display for my PC as well. Are there are issues with this setup? Is there a way to toggle the screen between OSX and the PC connected to it?
fts3v3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:16 PM   #7
cherry su
macrumors 65816
 
cherry su's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Any video card with a displayport works. If it's a minidisplayport, that's great. If it has a regular displayport, then you need displayport(male) to minidisplayport(female) adapter.
__________________
MacBook Air 13/1.86/4/128 : Dell Streak 5 : Canon EOS 5D Mark II + 24-105L
MIT '14
My Blog
cherry su is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:37 PM   #8
wing1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry su View Post
Any video card with a displayport works. If it's a minidisplayport, that's great. If it has a regular displayport, then you need displayport(male) to minidisplayport(female) adapter.
I am not sure if this is entirely true, as the early 5xxx ati cards had issues with these displays. there are other threads indicating this, i'd do a search just to be safe
wing1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:56 AM   #9
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816
 
CubeHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing1 View Post
I am not sure if this is entirely true, as the early 5xxx ati cards had issues with these displays. there are other threads indicating this, i'd do a search just to be safe
This is mostly correct. The ATI 5xxx cards with a built in mini displayport generally do NOT work with the ACD with the exception of the eyefinity 5870 model with 6 mini displayports.

Luckily, the recently released ATI 68xx line has been released, and so far reports have been that the bug is fixed and they work great on the ACD.

A few Nvidia cards also have regular displayport outputs, and using a simple $10 converter cable seems to work well too (if you prefer Nvidia cards).
CubeHacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Eric.Anthony
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Burbank CA USA
ACD 27" vs wxp/PC: HIS 5970 eyefinity mini diplay port

well im hoping i might find the right answers here, im planning on the 5970 HIS card, it has 1 mini display port/ hdmi and DVI of course.....also has Eyefinity i only have 1 monitor......i want the ACD 27" LED....do you think i need the DP400....or should i have smooth sailing
Eric.Anthony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:41 PM   #11
Eric.Anthony
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Burbank CA USA
give me some help here macmen..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121388

heres my new video card above from newegg
i dont have a mini port just DVI and displayport, i just ordered the The Atlona AT-DP400.......i should have a beautiful pix when my ACD 27" arrives ?

computer system:
Asus CrossHair IV Extreme AMD/SAS 15k sas drives
PC system

Thank you
Eric.Anthony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:13 PM   #12
mrfoof82
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.Anthony View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121388

heres my new video card above from newegg
i dont have a mini port just DVI and displayport, i just ordered the The Atlona AT-DP400.......i should have a beautiful pix when my ACD 27" arrives ?

computer system:
Asus CrossHair IV Extreme AMD/SAS 15k sas drives
PC system

Thank you
DVI to Mini-DisplayPort was not the best solution -- at all -- if you have a regular DisplayPort.

The best option would've been a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter, which is $10. I currently use this on my work-provided Lenovo Thinkpad T410s, which has a DisplayPort connector, to drive a 27" LED Cinema Display: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200691

I'd return that Atlona converter or cancel your order if you can still cancel it before it ships. It is needlessly expensive and complex considering you have a DisplayPort connector on that card.
mrfoof82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:29 PM   #13
Eric.Anthony
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Burbank CA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoof82 View Post
DVI to Mini-DisplayPort was not the best solution -- at all -- if you have a regular DisplayPort.

The best option would've been a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter, which is $10. I currently use this on my work-provided Lenovo Thinkpad T410s, which has a DisplayPort connector, to drive a 27" LED Cinema Display: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200691

I'd return that Atlona converter or cancel your order if you can still cancel it before it ships. It is needlessly expensive and complex considering you have a DisplayPort connector on that card.
BTW: if i would use dp400 my pix would have been bad? but the simple converter gives you max viedo...yes?


good show!
i see you have the 27" display , i kind of heard different on that one and i needed the dp400....ok i wondered why theres a display port on lots of cards....i will order right now i new there had to be a simple way.
hows your picture on your acd 27"
thanks alot

Last edited by Eric.Anthony; Nov 28, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
Eric.Anthony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 06:33 PM   #14
mrfoof82
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.Anthony View Post
BTW: if i would use dp400 my pix would have been bad? but the simple converter gives you max viedo...yes?


good show!
i see you have the 27" display , i kind of heard different on that one and i needed the dp400....ok i wondered why theres a display port on lots of cards....i will order right now i new there had to be a simple way.
hows your picture on your acd 27"
thanks alot
The only real difference between DisplayPort and Mini-DisplayPort is the physical size of the connector. That's why a simple adapter that basically maps pins to a smaller connector just-plain-works.

Now if you ONLY had DVI... yeah... then you need something like the Altona. But you have DisplayPort, so save the bulky breakout box and $140. =P

The 27 LED CD is fine and dandy all things considered, either hooked up to a Mid-2010 Mac Mini or to the Lenovo Thinkpad 410s. There is some lack of backlight uniformity, but that's with any display, and is only really noticeable from a far distance (not the usual 20" viewing distance) when you're basically displaying black. No complaints compared to the previous 23" Aluminum HD Cinema Display.
mrfoof82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:21 PM   #15
Eric.Anthony
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Burbank CA USA
Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoof82 View Post
The only real difference between DisplayPort and Mini-DisplayPort is the physical size of the connector. That's why a simple adapter that basically maps pins to a smaller connector just-plain-works.

Now if you ONLY had DVI... yeah... then you need something like the Altona. But you have DisplayPort, so save the bulky breakout box and $140. =P

The 27 LED CD is fine and dandy all things considered, either hooked up to a Mid-2010 Mac Mini or to the Lenovo Thinkpad 410s. There is some lack of backlight uniformity, but that's with any display, and is only really noticeable from a far distance (not the usual 20" viewing distance) when you're basically displaying black. No complaints compared to the previous 23" Aluminum HD Cinema Display.
i got the hdmi converter to adc and Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter,the apple tech said i can use both 1 at a time of course, i wanted both of them i will use the DVI 1st and see as good as it gets.
so im happy to see things moving now....i will update you
thanks
Eric.Anthony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 09:19 PM   #16
Eric.Anthony
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Burbank CA USA
keeping it simple mrfoo.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoof82 View Post
The only real difference between DisplayPort and Mini-DisplayPort is the physical size of the connector. That's why a simple adapter that basically maps pins to a smaller connector just-plain-works.

Now if you ONLY had DVI... yeah... then you need something like the Altona. But you have DisplayPort, so save the bulky breakout box and $140. =P

The 27 LED CD is fine and dandy all things considered, either hooked up to a Mid-2010 Mac Mini or to the Lenovo Thinkpad 410s. There is some lack of backlight uniformity, but that's with any display, and is only really noticeable from a far distance (not the usual 20" viewing distance) when you're basically displaying black. No complaints compared to the previous 23" Aluminum HD Cinema Display.
i ordered the asus 5970 ati card, it has a minidisplay port and i ordered from monoprice.com 6ft. minidisplayport to female minidisplayport other end.
so im waiting on this now.....now i can have a good good pix without all the mess with breakout boxes like you said keep it simple and clean correct!
on my pc system and keyboard how do i go into the brightness menu controls on the ACD....thanks mr foo
Eric.Anthony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:44 AM   #17
henrikrox
macrumors 65816
 
henrikrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
i can atleast confirm the new 6970 cards work great with the ACD, those cards come with x2 mini displayport, and thats great
__________________
15,4" rMBP, 2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Geforce GT650M, 512GB SSD.
henrikrox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:39 PM   #18
DidYouConsider
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Mini DisplayPort to regular DisplayPort adapter

I have been wondering the same thing. I'm in the market for a great 27 inch monitor, and I have a PC. I checked out the Dell UltraSharp U2711 and the Apple Cinema Display 27, and liked the Apple product much more. Looks so wonderful and crisp.

The folks at Apple had a hard time telling me how to connect the Apple Cinema Display to my brand new laptop. It has only a VGA port and DisplayPort. No DVI. They helped me figure out that the Apple CinemaDisplay has a Male MiniDisplay port that comes out of the monitor. And my PC has a Female DisplayPort on it. So, just found this adapter. I just ordered it and will see if it works:

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/pr...page=2#reviews

Less than 20$.

The page displays a list of video cards that won't work with it, so check before buying!
DidYouConsider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:59 PM   #19
Maniia
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I've been using the Gefen adapter for about 6 months. Works fine, no issues with it at all. It's not getting hot or making noises. So if you decide on an adapter, I'll give a +1 to the Gefen. But yea, very pricy
Maniia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:06 PM   #20
Ashok0
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniia View Post
I've been using the Gefen adapter for about 6 months. Works fine, no issues with it at all. It's not getting hot or making noises. So if you decide on an adapter, I'll give a +1 to the Gefen. But yea, very pricy
Works fine? The Gefen adapter can't output higher than 1920x1200. Do yourself a favor and get a new video card or an Atlona DP-400! Why buy an Apple LED Cinema 27" if you aren't going to use it @ 2560x1440???
Ashok0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:03 AM   #21
YerMa
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoof82 View Post
DVI to Mini-DisplayPort was not the best solution -- at all -- if you have a regular DisplayPort.

The best option would've been a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter, which is $10. I currently use this on my work-provided Lenovo Thinkpad T410s, which has a DisplayPort connector, to drive a 27" LED Cinema Display: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200691
There are also straight MiniDisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cables available. With such a beast, you need no adapter at all.

Hm... Those cables *do* work both ways, right? (That is, between e.g. a Mac and a Dell monitor *and* between a ThinkPad and an Apple Cinema Display.)
YerMa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting Apple 27" Cinema Display to a PC laptop lykkegaard Mac Peripherals 1 Feb 18, 2014 07:57 AM
Mac Pro (5,1) connecting third Apple Cinema Display - Any advice greatly appreciated macperegrine Mac Pro 1 Oct 18, 2013 07:42 PM
Mac Pro (5,1) connecting third Apple Cinema Display - Any advice greatly appreciated macperegrine Mac Peripherals 1 Oct 18, 2013 07:33 PM
Connecting Apple Cinema Display to Late 2007 Macbook AppleChomper Mac Peripherals 1 Jun 22, 2013 04:02 PM
Connecting LED 24" Cinema Display to Powermac G5. Liquinn PowerPC Macs 1 Aug 17, 2012 12:57 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC