Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

114417-ibooks_gift_cards.jpg

iLounge noted yesterday that Apple has begun selling gift cards specifically for its iBookstore, offering convenient $25 and $50 options for gift givers. While existing iTunes Store gift cards can reportedly be used in the iBookstore, the new iBooks-specific cards offer a new option for those looking to focus their gifts on books as opposed to other iTunes Store content.
Based on an Apple Support Discussions thread from earlier in the year, it appears as though users were able to purchase standard iTunes Gift Cards for use in the iBookstore; the new cards remove any ambiguity customers may have had about whether or not an iTunes GC would be usable in the iBookstore, and will likely be popular add-ons to those purchasing iPads as a gift.
The report notes that the new gift cards are available in Apple's retail stores, but we have also seen them in our local Target store.

Article Link: Apple Now Selling iBooks Gift Cards

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Saw those earlier this week in Best Buy too. Didn't give them too much of a look, but I believe it also said you could use it in the iTunes store.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Does that mean that these are special iTunes cards that can only be used to buy books? As far as I know iTunes only has one generic credit balance, not for each type of content separately so they must have introduced that?

I hope they can still be used to buy apps, music etc.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Seems fine if they are just a different branded iTunes cards and are interchangeable. Like getting a Target gift card with the dog on it verses one with a birthday cake on it. But if they only work for iBooks then that is silly.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Does that mean that these are special iTunes cards that can only be used to buy books?

I hope they can still be used to buy apps, music etc.

My guess is that they can still be used for music and apps, but they are just packaging them this way as a way to advertise their iBooks.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
What is the point? Wouldn't you want the person to have choices when using it? And if it does do the same as the iTunes one what is the point of it if it is the same?

MacRacer

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
My Race Car
This is a cool idea. I figure they would use the iTunes Gift Cards but if you know somebody with a iPad, this would be a good gift if they read.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
So, in order to use an iBook giftcard I need an iPad? Right?

To this day I still don't understand why I cannot buy iBooks through iTunes just like audiobooks. This just shocks me.

Brinkman

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
What is the point? Wouldn't you want the person to have choices when using it? And if it does do the same as the iTunes one what is the point of it if it is the same?

Did you read the article at all? It's the exact same as iTunes but focuses the gift to use it as a book instead of music/movies/apps.

The point is to fill a need people might want to give a gift as a book.

StefSSU

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2009
London
So, in order to use an iBook giftcard I need an iPad? Right?

To this day I still don't understand why I cannot buy iBooks through iTunes just like audiobooks. This just shocks me.

What were you planning on reading it on instead? Aside from the iPad, you can only be referring to iPhone/iPod. In which case, where's the inconvenience in purchasing straight through the dedicated app? I mean, if you buy it in iTunes, what app were you hoping to read it with anyway?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
When you go into Target you can buy a Target gift card that has a Snowman on it or a Penguin on it.

They both let you buy whatever you want.

Same thing with iTunes. Some cards show books. Some show music notes. It's just a way to pick the thing you think your gift recipient will enjoy seeing more.

It's not like this card only lets you buy "A Man Being Shot in the Back for Attempting to Escape."

Attachments

• itunes-gift-card.jpg
    itunes-gift-card.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 1,696

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
To clarify, they are the same as regular iTunes cards and can be used for any iTunes Store, App Store, or iBookstore content, but they allow gift givers to "position" their gifts as being for books.

Apple similarly offers App Store gift cards that are also valid for any iTunes Store content.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
What were you planning on reading it on instead? Aside from the iPad, you can only be referring to iPhone/iPod. In which case, where's the inconvenience in purchasing straight through the dedicated app? I mean, if you buy it in iTunes, what app were you hoping to read it with anyway?

I am a bit surprised that Apple hasn't released an iBooks reader application for the Mac. Amazon released Kindle for Mac, and it works pretty well. But then again, we all know exactly what Apple wants you to read iBooks content on, and it isn't the Mac.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
What were you planning on reading it on instead?

One can hope that Apple will someday have an application for reading iBooks their computers (there is for example a Kindle application for Mac, which Apple could certainly improve on).

EDIT: I see rwilliams beat me to it. I also agree with him that that's probably the reason it hasn't been released for Mac yet. Would be very convenient, however, and I would be more likely to buy an iBook if I knew I could also read it on my computer like with Kindle.

Sep 17, 2007

MacBook? :D

Fanboyofnothing

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Meh, until I can read these on any device I own, I have no reason to buy an iBook over a Kindle book. Not to mention the selection in the iBook store is a joke.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't understand why iTunes does not display your iBooks you have bought :confused:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Does that mean that these are special iTunes cards that can only be used to buy books?

The articles implications are totally wrong.

Just like they did after the apps store launched to highlight that part of the store, this is just a standard iTunes store card that works on everything in the store, but has iBooks mentioned on the card. That's all. No restrictions or such

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
It seems like a good idea if they're locked to purchasing books only.

If I give someone a gift card to buy books, I don't want them using it to buy some Ke$ha songs or games for their iPod.

Last edited:

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008

My Macbook what else. I'm one of those that still reads eBooks on a macbook.

I buy lots of financial ebooks on amazon.com and would love to buy them on iBookStore instead. But want to be able to do research using something like iBook on my Mac to search through sections of the book and so forth.

We have iDVD, iTunes, iWeb, iPhoto, and so forth, why don't we have iBook on Mac?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Meh, until I can read these on any device I own, I have no reason to buy an iBook over a Kindle book. Not to mention the selection in the iBook store is a joke.

The selection in the ibook store is hampered by publisher contracts with other companies. But in the end it isn't as big an issue as it seems since there is Kindle for iOS, etc. So you can read all your books regardless of 'store'

I don't understand why iTunes does not display your iBooks you have bought :confused:

iTunes doesn't work as a reader program but it does show the books you have sync'd to your computer from your iThing. Assuming of course that you have turned on 'books' in your iTunes preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.