Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

registerednerd

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Big deal, we've had them at Best Buy for weeks, and yes, they're just iTunes cards (just like how there are also app store cards that are just iTunes cards)

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I am a bit surprised that Apple hasn't released an iBooks reader application for the Mac. Amazon released Kindle for Mac, and it works pretty well. But then again, we all know exactly what Apple wants you to read iBooks content on, and it isn't the Mac.

I agree. While I prefer reading the books on my iphone, that's why I like them so much (more portable, easier to hold), it would be nice to be able to sync the books with my computer and read it on either if I'd like.

I'm not sure why Apple hasn't done that when Kindle has (and has Barnes And Noble Nook reader done that as well)?

Sure, it may not be what most people prefer, but it gives them options and it opens up a little more market (those who don't have an iphone/ipad but still would read an ebook off their computer).

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
The selection in the ibook store is hampered by publisher contracts with other companies. But in the end it isn't as big an issue as it seems since there is Kindle for iOS, etc. So you can read all your books regardless of 'store'

iTunes doesn't work as a reader program but it does show the books you have sync'd to your computer from your iThing. Assuming of course that you have turned on 'books' in your iTunes preferences.

Thats fine. But why isn't there an iBook for Mac?

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
All the cards will do is add to your iTunes account credit. You'll be able to purchase books AND music AND movies AND anything else on the store just like everything else. Apple doesn't have a separate accounts for just iBooks. It's just like how you can buy iTunes music cards and can purchase apps with them.

idmurphy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
iBooks

I am a bit surprised that Apple hasn't released an iBooks reader application for the Mac. Amazon released Kindle for Mac, and it works pretty well. But then again, we all know exactly what Apple wants you to read iBooks content on, and it isn't the Mac.

I have a feeling iBooks for mac may come with Lion. It's not part of iTunes on the ipad etc its a seperate store. I think it'll be made available through the mac app store if it was to happen.

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010

My guess is that they will do it with OSX Lion (10.7) through the "iOS layer."

Edit: Oops, beaten by idmurphy

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Why anyone would choose iBooks over Kindle books is beyond me. One word - CONTENT, of which iBooks has about one-tenth of Amazon, and almost nothing in terms of technical / scholastic books. Just like iTV - It won't work unless you go after content.

Tony

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Don't know, but there is something about holding a real book, flipping pages
for real, etc.etc.

It's just "magical"

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

But paper kills trees! :)

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
A great way to advertise their books. But that may confuse people who don't know how to read fine print and think they can only use it for books.

for real, etc.etc.

It's just "magical"

Tree killer.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Why anyone would choose iBooks over Kindle books is beyond me. One word - CONTENT, of which iBooks has about one-tenth of Amazon, and almost nothing in terms of technical / scholastic books. Just like iTV - It won't work unless you go after content.

Tony

I like iBooks because it has more font options, and the two-page view of iBooks is nice, too. Kindle app recently introduced a two-column view, but it's just not the same as two-page. Anyway, there are ways to de-DRM Kindle books, so I just buy books from Kindle, de-DRM them, convert to epub, and read them in iBooks. Best of both worlds. ;)

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
for real, etc.etc.

It's just "magical"

Agreed.

And for the books I buy, in general iBooks has about the same selection honestly. Where I find the difference is sometimes Amazon or Nook is cheaper :(.

But I really have to say I agree that there is something about the flipping the pages animation and just the small touches ibooks has that just makes ibooks a helluva lot more appealing to me. It just feels more like a holding a book. I know, they are small, stupid stuff, but they make a big difference in how "cozy" it is to read (like curling up and reading a book).

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I like iBooks because it has more font options, and the two-page view of iBooks is nice, too. Kindle app recently introduced a two-column view, but it's just not the same as two-page. Anyway, there are ways to de-DRM Kindle books, so I just buy books from Kindle, de-DRM them, convert to epub, and read them in iBooks. Best of both worlds. ;)

How do you do this?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Agreed.

And for the books I buy, in general iBooks has about the same selection honestly. Where I find the difference is sometimes Amazon or Nook is cheaper :(.

But I really have to say I agree that there is something about the flipping the pages animation and just the small touches ibooks has that just makes ibooks a helluva lot more appealing to me. It just feels more like a holding a book. I know, they are small, stupid stuff, but they make a big difference in how "cozy" it is to read (like curling up and reading a book).

Yes, let's all snuggle up with an ipad:)

Also love the Treekiller comments:

Yes, trees eventually get killed, but first they are being grown to be "harvested" i.e. they are a renewable resource.
Technology is getting better to use more recycled content in paper , so there will be less and less trees in paper.

What would really help is people to stop printing every little thing or printing extras , because it's cheap. I know people who print their e-mails, duh!

Driven to an extreme ipads, kindles etc. use electricity to charge their batteries. That energy is many times not created with renewable resources.

And, when the battery cycle is finished or the ipad is dumped it kills more of the environment than book printing kills trees.

Try to get rid of electronics honestly. My area doesn't even take them in hazardous goods collections and who knows where that stuff goes anyway.

At least Apple goes as green as possible these days.

Peter.Howard

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Australia.
Looks like a great christmas present if you know someone that has an Ipad and they love reading books.

Rather than trying to pick something they might enjoy get them a gift card and they can do it themself.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Yes, let's all snuggle up with an ipad:)

Be an iphone for me, no use for an ipad (if I need ultra portability that's what my iphone is for. Anything I'd bother taking more than my purse to have an extra gadget with me I'll just go ahead and take my 13" MBP *shrug*. Sure, it's a little less portable but with my shoulder bag that fits it specifically and can be used as a sleeve as well when I put it in a backpack it's not that hard to take around with me at all. Honestly, I really don't see the use of an ipad when you have a laptop and a smartphone).

Besides, I think the iphone makes a better ebook reader cause one reason I like ebooks over regular books is lighter and easy to hold in one hand and flip pages with the same hand (I really doubt an ipad is going to have that advantage over a paper book). Makes it easier to eat and read or to read in bed (I just set the iphone down on my bedstand like I would with a book I was reading before I went to bed and have the charger there to plug it in when it's time to sleep). Plus when packing for vacation it makes my bag I take with me on the plane a whole lot lighter cause I'm not carrying so many books (my ipod and laptop have helped with that too cause not carrying a discman/walkman, tapes and CDs).

Anyways, I'm absolutely loving ebooks now that I've caved and given in to the fact the publishers are never going to be reasonable about price (you know, they could get me to buy the book twice if they were more reasonabley priced, one for the paper version and one for a more portable version for my iphone so I don't have to load my bag down with books for airplane trips).

FireFish

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Duh. :confused:

iBooks gift cards are the same exact things as the others.
Just like they have gift cards that have pics of App icons vs. iTunes music on the cards, now they're throwing books in the mix. They're all the same.

I'm shocked that this article was even posted to begin with. What kind of mac fans do you people think you really are? How could you not know this??!! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.