Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

133851-itunes_10_icon_90.jpg

With Apple's teaser posted today regarding an "exciting" iTunes-related announcement scheduled for tomorrow, there has been a considerable amount of speculation about what exactly the company is planning to reveal.

One of the most popular topics of discussion for some time now has been a cloud-based iTunes that would allow users to have their purchased iTunes Store content hosted on Apple's servers and streamed to Internet-connected devices rather than having to manage local content libraries on each machine or on a user's home network. Another popular rumor dating back many years is a subscription-based music service that would allow users to pay a monthly fee to be able to listen to an entire catalog of music.

But according to All Things Digital, both of these possibilities appear unlikely given the lack of any inside reports of new contracts with major music labels that would be required for such plans.
But the music industry sources I've talked to so far today don't know of any new deals between Apple and the big music labels. So that would rule out a new subscription service, which would definitely require a new rights deal.

And that also makes it very unlikely that Apple does the next best thing: Letting users upload their iTunes catalog to the cloud, and letting them access it anywhere they want.
The report notes that Apple could try to announce such services without deals in place, but that Apple would likely not be interested in antagonizing content providers with such a move as it continues to try bring them on board with its digital initiatives.

Article Link: Apple Not Likely to Introduce Cloud-Based or Subscription iTunes Tomorrow?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Knew it. I'm telling you (again). 90 Second song previews. Edit: ^ DANG you beat me.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Hmmm if it's the 90 sec. preview that isn't anything big to announce really, that should have happened long time ago just saying. To say something big happening tomorrow and being a bit secretive it has to be more than just 90 sec. preview but than again I am still on iPod classic don't have an iTouch, iPhone, or an iPad so for me I hope it is something for everyone to enjoy. :apple:

jpmack

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yet another new iTunes icon?

paul800m

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2004
Oh dear... this is obvious.

The words are even written out like song lyrics.

Just Another Day.

I've Just Seen A Face. etc etc etc

They have even written 'you'll'.... not 'you will'.

Mike11223

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
iTunes Brain: Got a song in your head? We put it there!

Cupertino - Starting on Tuesday, November 16, Apple will begin streaming music from their new North Carolina server farm directly to users' brains!

"I'm a beta tester and this is awesome," said NY Times technology reporter, David Pogue. "It still has a few bugs that I've reported. For instance, I've had 'Baby' by Justin Bieber stuck in my head for days!"

Apple CEO, Steven P. Jobs has stated that iTunes Brain is going to start as a music only service but will eventually expand to movies, television shows, and images that emphasize submission to Jobs' will and world domination.

"This is truly an incredible day," Jobs said. "This is really going to change the way you interact with music. And, maybe, start a magical and revolutionary zombie apocalypse."

"There is no need to purchase any new hardware or download any new software," Jobs continued. "Set up is a breeze. After all, we've been in our users' heads for a while."

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Probably The Beatles on iTunes. Anything like cloud or streaming would require an event, most likely.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
BUZZ KILL!!!

Why would 90 second previews be "unforgettable???"

C'mon!

Sometimes people look too far in to things. I'm not saying I'm right. However, maybe it's just their way of saying "another great announcement by awesome us".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.