Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 20, 2010, 08:24 PM   #1
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Auto add area code to phone app?

I can't figure out how to auto add the area code in the iPhone's phone app. Dialing locally is a PITA without it, not to mention when surfing safari and the browser recognizes a phone number, but can't dial it. What am I missing?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:53 PM   #2
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

There is no dialing "locally" on any cell phone. You have to dial all ten digits. In fact, most land-lines in the US require 10-digit dialing now too.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
There is no dialing "locally" on any cell phone. You have to dial all ten digits. In fact, most land-lines in the US require 10-digit dialing now too.
Huh? I dial 7 digit numbers all the time.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:36 AM   #4
jpetticrew
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
Huh? I dial 7 digit numbers all the time.
From your land line, or from your cell? I live in a small town in east Texas and we can dial 7 digits locally, but only from land lines.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:39 AM   #5
JonathanK81
macrumors 6502

I think it also depends on the provider. Before I joined AT&T I was with Sprint. I live in another city than my area code, but when I called home (my old area code) I only needed to dial 7 digits. Now that I'm with AT&T calling home requires 10 digits.
JonathanK81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 01:05 AM   #6
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetticrew View Post
From your land line, or from your cell? I live in a small town in east Texas and we can dial 7 digits locally, but only from land lines.
From either the cell or landline. No problem. I'm in NY. I'm sure it has to do with location.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:38 AM   #7
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

I was able to dial 7 digits with my Verizon cell just a few months ago. Even the GV+ Mobile app will let me dial 7 digits. On setup, it asks for a local area code so it will autofill upon a 7 digit dial.

So I'm guessing that there's not a way to add this to the iPhone's standard phone app? Hmm. Maybe it has to do with being a world phone? Just don't understand how/why Safari can recognize a phone number but he phone app can't. Seems pretty weak...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Tom G.
macrumors 65816

I just dialed my land line from my iPhone using just the 7 digits without the area code. It worked fine.

I find this to be a very small issue as 90% of the calls I make from my iPhone are from my contacts so all I have to do is tap their number in my address book. No dialing at all.
Tom G. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 01:44 PM   #9
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
I just dialed my land line from my iPhone using just the 7 digits without the area code. It worked fine.

I find this to be a very small issue as 90% of the calls I make from my iPhone are from my contacts so all I have to do is tap their number in my address book. No dialing at all.
The only reason that worked is because your land line number is already in your address book. Try it with a number thats not I'm your address book and it won't work.

For anybody that makes many calls from their iPhone, like say a salesperson, this is really a pain.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:32 PM   #10
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetticrew View Post
Both.
Areas with only one area code can still dial 7 digits, but many areas have multiple area codes overlayed in the same area. For example, here in Manhattan 212, 646, and 917 are all overlaid. Where I'm from in Florida 954 and 754 are overlaid.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:02 AM   #11
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
Both.
Areas with only one area code can still dial 7 digits, but many areas have multiple area codes overlayed in the same area. For example, here in Manhattan 212, 646, and 917 are all overlaid. Where I'm from in Florida 954 and 754 are overlaid.
OK. But even then, roughly a third of NYers calls would benefit from 7 digit dialing.

Anybody else have a guess why 7 digit dialing is omitted from the iPhone?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
area code, phone