Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I can't figure out how to auto add the area code in the iPhone's phone app. Dialing locally is a PITA without it, not to mention when surfing safari and the browser recognizes a phone number, but can't dial it. What am I missing?

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
I think it also depends on the provider. Before I joined AT&T I was with Sprint. I live in another city than my area code, but when I called home (my old area code) I only needed to dial 7 digits. Now that I'm with AT&T calling home requires 10 digits.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
From your land line, or from your cell? I live in a small town in east Texas and we can dial 7 digits locally, but only from land lines.

From either the cell or landline. No problem. I'm in NY. I'm sure it has to do with location. :apple:

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I was able to dial 7 digits with my Verizon cell just a few months ago. Even the GV+ Mobile app will let me dial 7 digits. On setup, it asks for a local area code so it will autofill upon a 7 digit dial.

So I'm guessing that there's not a way to add this to the iPhone's standard phone app? Hmm. Maybe it has to do with being a world phone? Just don't understand how/why Safari can recognize a phone number but he phone app can't. Seems pretty weak...

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I just dialed my land line from my iPhone using just the 7 digits without the area code. It worked fine.

I find this to be a very small issue as 90% of the calls I make from my iPhone are from my contacts so all I have to do is tap their number in my address book. No dialing at all. :)

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I just dialed my land line from my iPhone using just the 7 digits without the area code. It worked fine.

I find this to be a very small issue as 90% of the calls I make from my iPhone are from my contacts so all I have to do is tap their number in my address book. No dialing at all. :)

The only reason that worked is because your land line number is already in your address book. Try it with a number thats not I'm your address book and it won't work.

For anybody that makes many calls from their iPhone, like say a salesperson, this is really a pain.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
From your land line, or from your cell? I live in a small town in east Texas and we can dial 7 digits locally, but only from land lines.

Both.
Areas with only one area code can still dial 7 digits, but many areas have multiple area codes overlayed in the same area. For example, here in Manhattan 212, 646, and 917 are all overlaid. Where I'm from in Florida 954 and 754 are overlaid.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Both.
Areas with only one area code can still dial 7 digits, but many areas have multiple area codes overlayed in the same area. For example, here in Manhattan 212, 646, and 917 are all overlaid. Where I'm from in Florida 954 and 754 are overlaid.

OK. But even then, roughly a third of NYers calls would benefit from 7 digit dialing.

Anybody else have a guess why 7 digit dialing is omitted from the iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.