Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

123254-ipad_4_2_profile.jpg

DigiTimes reports that Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn has opened up its first iPad production lines at its new plants in Chengdu, China. While the new lines are only capable of producing 300,000 units per month, Foxconn plans to expand it capabilities in Chengdu to 50 production lines capable of manufacturing 40 million iPads per year.
Foxconn had previously refuted claims that the company would establish iPad production lines at the plants in Chengdu, but related component players have pointed out that Foxconn already started shipping iPads from the site in November and expected the site to become a major supply base starting the first quarter of 2011.
The majority of Foxconn's iPad production (2.5 million units per month) currently comes from the company's facilities in Shenzhen, China, but the company has recently moved to build new plants in cities such as Chengdu in the interior of China to address worker morale and mental health by keep workers closer to their families and offer a great degree of separation between their work and personal lives.

According to today's report, Apple is looking for shipments in excess of 7 million units in the fourth quarter of this year, up from sales of 4.19 million in the third quarter.

Article Link: Foxconn Ramping Up iPad Production at New Chengdu Factory

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
I guess they plan on selling a lot for Christmas. Although, I would hold off buying one this late in the game if I already didn't have one. Since the newer one will probably be out early next year. ;)

I normally don't believe in the "waiting game", but I have a feeling the 2nd gen iPad is going to blow the first out of the water since Apple has all these "me too" devices to compete with now.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Hard to believe it's only been out for 6 months or so. They've really taken off, more than I ever expected.

I've yet to take the plunge myself, still not sure if the iPad is for me.

lee14160

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2009
Fruitland, Idaho
Haven't found a need for one, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good product. Would like to see the prices a little lower, then maybe I would find a need for one.:)

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
with Apple at 95% market share, are any of the competitors catching up?
Samsung Galaxy are shifting a few aren't they... where's the graph!
(keep us up to date!)

EvolutionXGSR

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2010
I'm so sick of hearing this "China" talk everywhere.

Can't we build stuff over here in the U.S anymore. It really makes me sick. :mad:

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
As someone who has been touting the idea of the iPad since it was announced in February, this success pleases me, of course. What I think is coming true is my prediction that the iPad will own Christmas. What competition does it have, really? The Tab is getting mixed reviews and is viewed as good by the geeks, but the average person hardly knows from models. They just know that Oprah thinks the iPad is the best thing ever made, and they've seen those cool commercials, and Apple makes the coolest stuff, etc.

iPad will own Christmas. Pity the poor kid whose parents know he desperately wants a tablet (i.e. an iPad) and they get him this instead (thinking, hey, it's a tablet isn't it?).

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010

Can't we build stuff over here in the U.S anymore. It really makes me sick. :mad:

Of course we can build stuff over here in the U.S. Ready for a pay cut? That's the only thing holding it back. Welcome to globalization.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

Yah, then iPads would cost more. That's the issue. There is not enough demand from people who buy stuff because they're made here for it to be worth it to make products here. Most people don't care enough for it to matter.

space1nvaders

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004

The only way we could do it would be to eliminate minimum wage and child labor laws for manufacturing because the only people who would work for that kind of money are kids who live with their parents and have no bills.

I would like to know the average age of the worker in China making these iPads.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The only way we could do it would be to eliminate minimum wage and child labor laws for manufacturing because the only people who would work for that kind of money are kids who live with their parents and have no bills.

I would like to know the average age of the worker in China making these iPads.

Not to mention environmental regulations. It's highly unlikely it'll ever be cheaper to make things here, unless it becomes more expensive everywhere else. But if that happened, we could kiss our economy good bye.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Of course we can build stuff over here in the U.S. Ready for a pay cut? That's the only thing holding it back. Welcome to globalization.

No!

It's more like ... would you pay $999 for an iPad and $1999 for a MacBook.

Anyone who demands lower cost (i.e. shops at WalMart) promotes the manufacturing getting moved to outside the US, in the end. That's why I like Germany, they operate at the other end of the spectrum ... high-quality/high-cost manufacturing.

In the end, the quality of life would hardly decrease to keep the manufacturing in the states. The ability to consume would decrease severely, but the basic infrastructure would remain similar.

Now, if you correlate the quality of life with the ability to consume (this is an iPad discussion after all), then the quality of life would decrease (approximately by 50%).

The real question is how long until the market is saturated. 40M iPads/year. There's only roughly a billion Americans (300M) /Canadians (30M) / Europeans (600M).

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
The real question is how long until the market is saturated. 40M iPads/year. There's only roughly a billion Americans (300M) /Canadians (30M) / Europeans (600M).

Once the market is saturated then they will have a captive audience of folks looking to upgrade since their old iPad won't run the latest and greatest features. I think folks are anxiously eyeing what Apple will do next with the iPad given Steve Jobs' comments in the most recent press release.

Certainly Jobs can't think that battery, screen-size and apps market are the only thing he wants to beat the RIM Playbook on.... I'm sure he is going to want to out-perform the Playbook as well from a speed and memory perspective.

After seeing RIM flaunt how their 2011Q1 product outperforms Apple's 2010Q1 product in web browsing, I can't wait to see what iPad will do in 2011. Web browsing is one of the top ways to use a tablet.... you want to deliver the best and fastest tablet Web browsing experience.

I'll be the first to admit that I want one but with the 2nd Gen just around the corner Ill hold off. I didnt get the iPad at the Apple unveil last year but I have to eat my words and say yeah i get this now and know why its so popular.

Would be nice to see the new one with FT camera but i would rather have increased RAM and processor speed bump than the camera. Maybe to have a USB port built in instead of that horrible adaptor they are shipping nowadays. Dual speakers would be a nice addition and the inclusion of a landscape 30 pin connector will see me drop the money on one next year. And to be fair to Apple I havent read about a lot of any reliability issues.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
No!

It's more like ... would you pay $999 for an iPad and $1999 for a MacBook.

Anyone who demands lower cost (i.e. shops at WalMart) promotes the manufacturing getting moved to outside the US, in the end. That's why I like Germany, they operate at the other end of the spectrum ... high-quality/high-cost manufacturing.

In the end, the quality of life would hardly decrease to keep the manufacturing in the states. The ability to consume would decrease severely, but the basic infrastructure would remain similar.

Now, if you correlate the quality of life with the ability to consume (this is an iPad discussion after all), then the quality of life would decrease (approximately by 50%).

my inlaws are always going about how european quality is so good compared to US and china.

they went on vacation to france and bought my son a boat. made in china and broke in a week. a lot of the made in europe crap is made by imported chinese workers. and my grohe faucets aren't made in germany either

as for wal mart i've bought stuff there that is much better made than some of the crap i have from the snobby/elite stores

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.