Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 9, 2010, 08:44 PM   #1
mario24601
macrumors regular

Did you do a fresh install?

I have been using my Air for a couple weeks now, when you guys got your new 2010 Air did you do a fresh install with the USB drive?

I am reading you can save space and maybe speeds it up, is that right? What are your thoughts? And what is the process? Thanks.
mario24601 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 08:56 PM   #2
T4R06
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario24601 View Post
I have been using my Air for a couple weeks now, when you guys got your new 2010 Air did you do a fresh install with the USB drive?

I am reading you can save space and maybe speeds it up, is that right? What are your thoughts? And what is the process? Thanks.
as soon as i got my MBA i grab the usb stick the did a fresh install with customization. removing all the language and remove also some of the stuff on iLife that i dont need like iDVD.

no, the speed will remains the same. it is just you will save a lot of space
T4R06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 09:06 PM   #3
kyle.c
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

How did you do it? Just plug it in and reboot? On the first boot up?
kyle.c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Mechinyun
macrumors 6502

yes, same day i got it.
Mechinyun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:41 PM   #5
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

how much space is available after the first boot up? without removing anything?
viperGTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:00 PM   #6
fswmacguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperGTS View Post
how much space is available after the first boot up? without removing anything?
My MBA is on the way but I can field that.

Formatted space is always less than advertised. This is true with any type of hard drive, whether it be SSD or spinny, even iPods.

From what I can tell, the SL install is ~5GB. So it's easy to do the math here: 128GB - 5GB = ~123GB (give or take a gig or two).

You are effectively getting the advertised amount of space.
fswmacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:21 PM   #7
deedas
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to deedas Send a message via AIM to deedas Send a message via MSN to deedas Send a message via Yahoo to deedas Send a message via Skype™ to deedas
Crap I forgot to do this. Ehhh, I can always use monolingual to get almost the same result.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:25 PM   #8
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fswmacguy View Post
My MBA is on the way but I can field that.

Formatted space is always less than advertised. This is true with any type of hard drive, whether it be SSD or spinny, even iPods.

From what I can tell, the SL install is ~5GB. So it's easy to do the math here: 128GB - 5GB = ~123GB (give or take a gig or two).

You are effectively getting the advertised amount of space.
so on the 64 GB i could expect about 55 GB+ ?
viperGTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:36 PM   #9
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4R06 View Post
as soon as i got my MBA i grab the usb stick the did a fresh install with customization. removing all the language and remove also some of the stuff on iLife that i dont need like iDVD.

no, the speed will remains the same. it is just you will save a lot of space
having always done installs of osx using cd/dvd...how long did it take using usb?
tom vilsack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:53 PM   #10
deedas
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to deedas Send a message via AIM to deedas Send a message via MSN to deedas Send a message via Yahoo to deedas Send a message via Skype™ to deedas
Just got rid of 1.35GBs worth of languages and PPC architectures using monolingual. Now how did I use to get rid of printer drivers? Ugh, it's been a long time.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:53 AM   #11
poobear
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle.c View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You have to start Disc Utility in the beginning after the reboot, otherwise you won't have the opportunity to do a custom install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedas View Post
Now how did I use to get rid of printer drivers? Ugh, it's been a long time.
They aren't there from the beginning. When you plug in a printer Software Update downloads the driver for that printer.
poobear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 05:47 AM   #12
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Yes, for three reason:
1) always do it to get rid of things like GarageBand which I never use
2) I have normally two partitions on my Mac's and wanted the same
3) wanted to try the USB stick
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 08:11 AM   #13
rmhop81
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Yes, for three reason:
1) always do it to get rid of things like GarageBand which I never use
2) I have normally two partitions on my Mac's and wanted the same
3) wanted to try the USB stick
same here regarding item 1. takes up like 1.5gb of space. using flash compared to regular hard drive, took me 25 minutes to completely load the OS, was amazing
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:10 AM   #14
fswmacguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperGTS View Post
so on the 64 GB i could expect about 55 GB+ ?
You should expect to have ~60GB of readily available space (give or take a gig or two).

MBA owners (or any notebook with SSD for that matter) should stick the included Snow Leopard USB stick in their MBA and do a fresh install as soon as they ensure that the MBA boots up in the first place. I always remove the extra languages, shaves off a good chunk of crap.
fswmacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:39 AM   #15
Pete A
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle.c View Post
Boot up normally first, to make sure the SSD works. Then follow the instructions provided by MacRumors, linked at the top of the MacBook Air forum page. Substitute "USB install stick" for "install disk".
Pete A is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:42 AM   #16
maflynn

Any computer I buy, the first thing I do is reformat the drive and install the OS as I want it, not as apple thinks I want it. I usually only select the specific printers, and omit, X11, fonts languages that I don't want.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:46 PM   #17
mario24601
macrumors regular

I did a fresh install today from the USB drive. Took about 22 mins. I think I saved around 3GB getting rid of all the extra language stuff....guess it was worth it.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 08:06 PM   #18
gwsat
macrumors 68000

I got the 13 inch MBA with 256GB of flash storage so that I wouldn't have to worry about saving storage space. I genuinely admire those of you who can make less storage work by using some of the techniques described in this thread but I lacked the will.

My old Santa Rosa MBP, which the MBA has replaced for most purposes, has a 160GB hard drive, so the MBA's 256GB of storage has been a pleasure. I used Apple's OS X installation as it was out of the box and then migrated the MBP's programs, settings, and data from a Time Machine backup on my Time Capsule. With the exception of a couple of minor glitches, the MBA's setup is now identical to the MBP's. The Migration Assistant is pretty neat.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:08 PM   #19
mario24601
macrumors regular

I have the 256GB drive on my 13 too but thought why not delete the "useless" stuff
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:23 PM   #20
potentpotable
macrumors regular

22 mins is damn fast for a re-install!

I just deleted all the apps I didn't want through the Applications folder, then used CleanMyMac and Monolingual to fully delete everything. Such a breeze, Macs!
potentpotable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 09:58 AM   #21
gloryunited
macrumors 6502

I am new to Mac and I have only been using my late 2010 MBA for a couple of days, so a fresh install will not be too much of a hassle to me.

But, I am curious about Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner. What if I backup my data, apps and/or settings now with Time Machine or CCC, and then do a fresh install to remove languages and apps I don't need. When I then restore the data, would it put the unwanted languages and stuff back into the system?
gloryunited is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:46 AM   #22
gloryunited
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryunited View Post
I am new to Mac and I have only been using my late 2010 MBA for a couple of days, so a fresh install will not be too much of a hassle to me.

But, I am curious about Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner. What if I backup my data, apps and/or settings now with Time Machine or CCC, and then do a fresh install to remove languages and apps I don't need. When I then restore the data, would it put the unwanted languages and stuff back into the system?
I asked this a while ago and now I really want to do a fresh install.

I backed up via Time Machine and also backed up the boot camp partition as an image file using WinClone, all on an external hard drive.

When I restore from Time Machine, would it restore the unwanted language files back to the system? Do I have to choose which directories/files to be restored?

this is my first mac and my first time using Time Machine, thanks
gloryunited is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:00 PM   #23
psirix
macrumors member

I used mine for a week or so and then did a reinstall. I did my reinstall on the copy I made of the Apple USB key because I'd prefer to use that then abuse the one provided by apple

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air