Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Interesting. Probably a similar story behind the Dreamcast version that was canceled weeks before release. Sierra was a good company long ago but sure went downhill in a hurry.

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Now that Half-Life 2 is out for Mac OS X, it'd be awfully nice if Valve would port HL1 as well...

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
there were a lot of really good companies back in the day that have all just dropped off the face of the planet....Sierra, Origin, EA, dare I also say Microsoft (1995-2000 era) Games back then had a real since of quality and story telling. All of which really lacks in most video game companies today...

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
Interesting. Probably a similar story behind the Dreamcast version that was canceled weeks before release. Sierra was a good company long ago but sure went downhill in a hurry.

I've played the Dreamcast version that was leaked. I can understand why it wasn't released.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Now that Half-Life 2 is out for Mac OS X, it'd be awfully nice if Valve would port HL1 as well...

They wouldn't need to port it - its already done....didn't you watch the video :p :D

Big shame. I'm sure it would have helped boost mac sales!

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007

Who would buy it? While it was groundbreaking at the time, it's really not that good compared with HL2 or other modern FPS. I'm not sure it's worth the energy - I'd prefer Valve dedicate all their resources to HL2 episode 3. :)

UrbanerMezei

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Who would buy it? While it was groundbreaking at the time, it's really not that good compared with HL2 or other modern FPS. I'm not sure it's worth the energy - I'd prefer Valve dedicate all their resources to HL2 episode 3. :)

Dude what are you talking about. I was playing Apogee - Monster Bash a few days ago. As long as they kept it under 10 bucks people would buy it. I remember picking up the entire Jedi Knight series for 10 bucks a few months ago just to play it through again.

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
They wouldn't need to port it - its already done....didn't you watch the video :p :D

Big shame. I'm sure it would have helped boost mac sales!

It was ported for Classic… it would be silly to port it from Classic to OS X. I would love to stick that onto my old PowerBook G3 though.

They already have Half-Life: Source (for $5). And since Source now runs on OS X, I don’t think there would be much left to port over (someone more knowledgeable about Source feel free to correct me). If I didn’t get it for free with Half-Life 2 I would probably buy it, too.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I would.
Oh... what am I saying? I already have it and would certainly not mind playing it on my Mac.

rufwork

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
I've always liked Heineman (and loved the BurgerLib), but I don't know that we got all of the story there. Honestly, what about 50k units hurts Valve, especially when releasing is all but a sunk cost? They should at least leak a few levels of it so that we can see that it works... I don't get it.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Sad story. If they'd already paid for most of the development then they might as well have shipped it.

Because some sales are better than none.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003

There's this really game console software you can install on your Mac and play HL1 that way. IIRC, it's called WindowsXP or something like that.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Sad story. If they'd already paid for most of the development then they might as well have shipped it.

Because some sales are better than none.

After shipping costs and actually finding retailers willing to stock it it wouldn't be worth it. Especially since they would have had to pay for patches/bug fixes for a few years.

It would have obviously cost them more than it was worth...otherwise it would have shipped (they aren't idiots you know ;))

NewProduct

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
Dude what are you talking about. I was playing Apogee - Monster Bash a few days ago. As long as they kept it under 10 bucks people would buy it. I remember picking up the entire Jedi Knight series for 10 bucks a few months ago just to play it through again.

Here's to that! I replayed all of Monster Bash a few years ago. Amazing game. Retro gaming is a large reason the DOSBox project is so strong.

Jedi Knight is definitely worth another run. Do you play in boot camp, or a VM?

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What do you expect? Get over it. Mac games? No thank you. I don't want to play 3-5 years piece of ****. I only play 1-2 years old games (2009-2010). Mac is not good for playing these all recent games. Forget about boosting market share. It won't never happen.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Isn't CounterStrike 1.6 based on Half Life? I have CS 1.6 purchased in Steam from way back. When Mac versions come out I can download them for free so it would be great if Steam release the port. Try it out again for fun.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
It'd be silly to port the old version but there's already Half Life: Source on Steam, which is just the original HL but in the Source engine.. I would've thought it'd be quite easy (?) for Valve to build that for osX.

It’s a shame it didn’t come out originally though. :(

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Nice to [ear more about this story from the golden era at the end of the 90s. Sierra limped along for quite some time after this. I'm looking at you Homeworld 2.

Wastland II in title
Wha....? :eek:

Arcadie

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
So, does someone want to summarize that 30 minute video?

HL1 was created for the mac and was very good and literally completed... Some big wig non engineer sales guy at valve didnt like that the stores "pre-ordered" 50,000 units because a person at Apple said they would sell 500,000 units. remember the 50k was just pre orders... Valse had a little bitch fit and refused to release it for the mac..

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
HL1 was created for the mac and was very good and literally completed... Some big wig non engineer sales guy at valve didnt like that the stores "pre-ordered" 50,000 units because a person at Apple said they would sell 500,000 units. remember the 50k was just pre orders... Valse had a little bitch fit and refused to release it for the mac..

Thank you Arcadie, I hadn't heard the why behind the cancellation, only that it was very near completion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.