Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Nice to [ear more about this story from the golden era at the end of the 90s. Sierra limped along for quite some time after this. I'm looking at you Homeworld 2.

I loved Sierra back during the Golden Age of adventure games. I just played King's Quest 2 over the weekend. Just discovered that some old AGI games can be played (to some degree) on the iPad at http://ipad.sarien.net....whoops...not any more! The legal hounds sniffed them out.

Anyway...I loved Sierra, but after Ken Williams sold the company in the mid-90s, it was never quite the same, and Sierra started stumbling afterwards. Half-Life was their last real big hit that I can recall before the brand finally disappeared.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I loved Sierra back during the Golden Age of adventure games. I just played King's Quest 2 over the weekend. Just discovered that some old AGI games can be played (to some degree) on the iPad at http://ipad.sarien.net....whoops...not any more! The legal hounds sniffed them out.

Anyway...I loved Sierra, but after Ken Williams sold the company in the mid-90s, it was never quite the same, and Sierra started stumbling afterwards. Half-Life was their last real big hit that I can recall before the brand finally disappeared.
Apologies to those that remember Sierra before 1997. It is hard to go back before Half Life. I should have called "a golden era" instead of "the" given the many years of quality software before that. I only have vague recollections of King's Quest but yes good memories. ;)

lpetrich

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
A radioactive nuclide is an isotope of an element with a higher than normal amount of nucleons (i.e. prone to radioactive decay).
In general, it's

energy(final) < energy(initial)

which induces radioactive decay. The leftover energy goes into kinetic energy.

Alpha decays and spontaneous fissions are arguably a result of "too many nucleons", but beta and gamma ones aren't.

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I couldn't play half life on my powerbook g4 17inch because someone was butt hurt over sales figures?
I want to punch this person.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Interesting... I always had this conspiracy theory that M$ paid them not to release it for the iMac (which was hot and new at the time.) When they bought Halo this confirmed my theory at the time.

Looks like I was wrong... oh well. Another thing I can bury.

If MS payed them to not release it on the Mac then she would not know that, it could well be that MS payed them more than the projected Mac sales.

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
Wheres the insider interview about how Bungie took a big ol truckload of cash from M$ to abandon the Mac platform that created Bungie from its beginnings...

HALO for mac...what would the world be like if that happened?

I had Microsoft Halo running on my dual G4.

The G4 is a piece of history I would not want to miss - but don't get me wrong: I will not trade with my MacPro (dual quad core). Apple was as good as broke and if you ask me, I would have made the same choices back then: give me the MacPro and OSX; forget about OS9. The world moves on dude.

mcmacintyre

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
Now they're talking about the latest Duke Nuke Em, but expect that to take at least 11 years to happen...

captmurphy

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2011
im mad as hell, i'd take hl over hl2 any day,im pretty sure the levels are bigger,if not bigger they deff take more time having to run around flipping switches and jumping through puzzles, for the new player atleast) the story for hl2 is just retarded, talking vortigaunt allies!?!? whynot have bullsquid allies too while we're at it :p some police state garbage? (thats where the US is heading anyway (guess this is a way to break the ice and let all you sheeple know whats to come, dont act suprised ) more polygons and higher bitmaps dont make a better game, im not about to install winblows either (boycotting still) no fascist gatesware in this household!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.