Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentdavo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Good evening all!

Right, i have a problem. I've just upgraded the hdd in my ibook 900mhz.... when i first turned on there were 3 beeps indicating bad memory. After turning on again, there are now four indicating bad rom?

Have i totally friend my logic board? Or is there something "simple" that can be done to fix it?

Any support would be much appreciated,

Best wishes,

David.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
IIRC, iBooks are very hard to upgrade. You might have broken something important. Fried it, not pushed in all the way, I'm not sure.

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
Remove the battery and any 3rd party memory and leave unplugged for an hour, then try again.

Take it apart again and try powering it up with the ATA bus unplugged. Best way to start it up without it's plastics on is to lie it on its screen with the logic board area sticking up. Remember to make sure the airport aerial is not contacting the logic board before inserting a screw driver into the powerbutton plug (top left of the logic board) to switch it on.

agentdavo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Thanks for the fast responses.

With hard drive and third party memory removed...

- tried the old hard drive. Same four flashes/beeps.

- tried with the logic board up vertical, same problem. And also removed the ata cable, same problem.

- been trying the command+option+p+r thing to reset the PRAM, but dont get a restart or second chime like apple tech suggest... "Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time"

Thanks for the help so far, it's greatly appreciated. What can be done to reflash a bad rom? If that is the case?

Best wishes.

David.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.