Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Tigersoup
macrumors newbie

Unhappy No ringtone tab in my itunes - Device. HELP!

hey all, please help me with this problem:

My itunes has the Ringtone Tab under library, but when i plug in my iphone 4, there is no ringtone tab for the device. When i click under Device, on my Xx's iphone, these are the only tabs that appeared:

Summary - Info - App - Music - Movies - TVShows - Photos

How do i get the ringtone tab to appear??

And how do i change my .m4a file to m4r? i'm using windows XP.
Tigersoup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 01:09 PM   #2
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersoup View Post
hey all, please help me with this problem:

My itunes has the Ringtone Tab under library, but when i plug in my iphone 4, there is no ringtone tab for the device. When i click under Device, on my Xx's iphone, these are the only tabs that appeared:

Summary - Info - App - Music - Movies - TVShows - Photos

How do i get the ringtone tab to appear??

It sounds like you have never added a custom ringtone. Is that correct? Simply drag a ringtone into your itunes library, it will create the ringtone tab.

Try audiko.net to find a ringtone.
webbuzz is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Tigersoup
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
It sounds like you have never added a custom ringtone. Is that correct? Simply drag a ringtone into your itunes library, it will create the ringtone tab.

Try audiko.net to find a ringtone.
Hey webbuzz! Thanks for the help! Now everything is good! Thank you!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 01:28 PM   #4
X2thaP
macrumors member

Quote:
You need to make sure windows is showing you the file extensions, so that you can see xxx.m4a or xxx.m4r and so on.
If that's the case you just click the song you need to change the extension from, click it again (so no double-clicking,
just two clicks say a second from each other, whatever) so that you can change the filename.
Then you just change the 'a' in xxx.m4a into an 'r' for xxx.m4r, that should be it. You can now drag your song/ringtone to iTunes.

Do make sure your song/ringtone is no longer than 30 seconds, if not iTunes will not accept it as a ringtone I believe.

Hope this helps.

*edit* just reloaded the page and see you you already got it.
X2thaP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Tigersoup
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2thaP View Post
You need to make sure windows is showing you the file extensions, so that you can see xxx.m4a or xxx.m4r and so on.
If that's the case you just click the song you need to change the extension from, click it again (so no double-clicking,
just two clicks say a second from each other, whatever) so that you can change the filename.
Then you just change the 'a' in xxx.m4a into an 'r' for xxx.m4r, that should be it. You can now drag your song/ringtone to iTunes.

Do make sure your song/ringtone is no longer than 30 seconds, if not iTunes will not accept it as a ringtone I believe.

Hope this helps.

*edit* just reloaded the page and see you you already got it.
Hey! thanks for the help too! but how do i make them show me the file extension? they don't show me the .m4a when i try to rename, so i can't rename it no matter what i did. That was my MAIN problem actually.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 01:48 PM   #6
X2thaP
macrumors member

Quote:
Hey! thanks for the help too! but how do i make them show me the file extension? they don't show me the .m4a when i try to rename, so i can't rename it no matter what i did. That was my MAIN problem actually.
ohkay, well, I'm not on windows, but as far as I remember you have to open any folder on your hard drive, like 'My Computer' for example. Then select from 'Tools', 'Folder Options', then click the 'View' tab. There you should see 'Hide extensions for known file types' somewhere, uncheck the box (so windows DOESN'T hide them), and then save/ok.

Click here for the full info with pictures (but what I said is basically it).
Old Jan 2, 2011, 02:52 PM   #7
Tigersoup
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2thaP View Post
ohkay, well, I'm not on windows, but as far as I remember you have to open any folder on your hard drive, like 'My Computer' for example. Then select from 'Tools', 'Folder Options', then click the 'View' tab. There you should see 'Hide extensions for known file types' somewhere, uncheck the box (so windows DOESN'T hide them), and then save/ok.

Click here for the full info with pictures (but what I said is basically it).
okay! i got it now! thanks! Thanks for the pictures too (i did use it :x). haha.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 04:57 PM   #8
X2thaP
macrumors member

Well, they're not my pictures and it's not my website or anything, just looked it up for you in order to make life easier.

Glad I could help.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Bojo
macrumors newbie

No ringtone tab

I have itunes 10.2 and and new iphone 4 and the ringtone tab is not appearing in itunes. Help please
Bojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:09 PM   #10
milani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojo View Post
I have itunes 10.2 and and new iphone 4 and the ringtone tab is not appearing in itunes. Help please
Again, import a ringtone into iTunes and it will automatically create the necessary tabs.
milani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:58 PM   #11
Bojo
macrumors newbie

Again

I just bought 30 of them from itunes and there just sitting there!! No tab yet!
Bojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:18 PM   #12
nanaloveby
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Thank You!

Hello webbuzz,

I'm just a passerby trying to look for a solution for the same problem as Tigersoup raised ("no ringtone tab in iTunes/ the device").

Your reply is so clear and helpful, thank you so much.
Have a great weekend.

Regards,
nana
nanaloveby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:19 PM   #13
nanaloveby
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Thank You!

Hello webbuzz,

I'm just a passerby trying to look for a solution for the same problem as Tigersoup raised ("no ringtone tab in iTunes/ the device").

Your reply is so clear and helpful, thank you so much.
Have a great weekend.

Regards,
nana
nanaloveby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:06 AM   #14
sonu delhi
macrumors newbie

i m not able to find ringtone tab i. my i tunes

----------

[QUOTE=sonu delhi;16228703]i m not able to find ringtone tab i. my i tunes
sonu delhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:29 AM   #15
airynmanj
macrumors newbie

Well, they're not my pictures and it's not my website or anything
airynmanj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:56 AM   #16
d0eb0y
macrumors newbie

I too was having the same issue with the tones tab, and everyone saying that dragging into itunes will create the tab..i created my tone in itunes and now where do i drag it too if its allready in there??? hmm???

Answer!
In itunes you have to click on EDIT > PREFERENCES
And under the General option..in Sources...check off the Ringtones (Tones) option, along with any other option you may want under your itunes library and there you have it.

Keep the change and have a nice day!
LACE UP
d0eb0y is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting