Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:40 AM   #1
Kenny Pollock
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Kenny Pollock
Final Cut Pro Scratch Disks

This pisses me off so much!
I use Final Cut Pro on a daily basis, and when I work on other projects I have to set the scratch disk upon every switch of project.

So I set scratch disks for project 1, then finish.. open project 2 and it's scratch disks are set to 1, not to what I set it to for the project. Is there a way to have the scratch disks set per project, so it switches it automatically to the one I set for each project?

This would be a LIVE SAVER. Thanks!
Kenny Pollock is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2005, 01:27 PM   #2
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

AFAIK you can't do that. Just out of curiousity, why do you do it?

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Kenny Pollock
macrumors regular

Why do I do what?
Old Jan 29, 2005, 01:48 PM   #4
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Why do you set different scratch disks for each project?

Lethal
Old Jan 29, 2005, 03:26 PM   #5
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
I have a similar annoying problem with Final Cut Express. I use an external FW disk as my scratch disk but I have to reset it to that every time I start a new project, because it always seems to default to my PowerBook's native drive.
johnnyjibbs is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2005, 09:45 PM   #6
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjibbs
I have a similar annoying problem with Final Cut Express. I use an external FW disk as my scratch disk but I have to reset it to that every time I start a new project, because it always seems to default to my PowerBook's native drive.
That seems kinda odd. One of my scratch disks is FW drive and as long as I have the drive mounted before I launch FCP FCP always sees the drive.

Lethal
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:10 PM   #7
JeDiBoYTJ
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to JeDiBoYTJ
thats one feature that Apple hasnt implemented into FCP... maybe the next version will have an option like that, but for now you will just have to continue manually changing the scratch disks. It is a bit annoying if you are working on many projects, but it only takes 5 seconds out of your time to reset it, so its not really a big deal... everytime i load a project I always check the scratch disks anyway.

and Lethal, the reason people have different scratch disks is for organization
JeDiBoYTJ is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:29 PM   #8
Lacero
macrumors 601

A scratch disk is just that... a scratch disk. Set aside a drive as a scratch drive from which all projects access.
Lacero is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:10 AM   #9
solvs
macrumors 601

Have you tried installing FCP to the scratch disk? I don't know if that will work on not, but I've heard of this issue before. Try the Apple boards if that doesn't work, or maybe see if it's mentioned on the support site.

Last edited by solvs; Jan 30, 2005 at 01:20 AM.
solvs is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:34 AM   #10
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Smile Little of topic, but don't wanna make new thread

Why does FCP use the HD for RAM (scratch disk) when it has normal system RAM? Is there a reason for this? I'm not an expert on how the app uses RAM and such, but I'm really curious cause I may want to get into video editing and motion graphics one day.

Sorry for interrupting, but didn't want to make new thread Thanks ahead of time.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 02:15 AM   #11
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all
Why does FCP use the HD for RAM (scratch disk) when it has normal system RAM?
It doesn't. I think he was talking about a secondary drive for the files. You're probably thinking of a RAM disk.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:15 PM   #12
Kenny Pollock
macrumors regular

I use a different scratch disk on a per-project-basis because my files transport a lot. I'm a high school student, and I transport files from home and back- and to a cable studio and back. Scratch disk on a firewire drive I have is much slower.. and if I take it home to work on 1 project and someone at school needs to work on one they did.. it gets screwed up because the media is offline (I have the drive at home).

I hope Apple adds this feature.. it would be SO useful.. to me and every high school student alive.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 01:23 PM   #13
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Why does FCP use the HD for RAM (scratch disk) when it has normal system RAM? Is there a reason for this? I'm not an expert on how the app uses RAM and such, but I'm really curious cause I may want to get into video editing and motion graphics one day.

Sorry for interrupting, but didn't want to make new thread Thanks ahead of time.
I don't use FCP but if it's more demanding than Pshop then I guess the scratch files would run into many many Gbs depending on undo levels of various functions as well as other rendering processes...

I use a separate scratch disk for Pshop and the space taken on that occasionally exceeds 6gb so if you're talking video files then you would expect them to be far larger. Ram is also needed by the OS & apps so that would limit its usefulness for temporary files.

Just my guess anyway...
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:09 PM   #14
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

"Scratch Disk" in FCP terms means the drive(s) that you store raw & rendered media to.

Lethal

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion