Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:55 AM   #1
samratm
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to samratm
Question Can I use my MacBook Pro without battery

Hello,

I want to use my MacBook Pro extensively for my day to day use, so I don't think running my MBP on battery with the power cord plugged in is always advisable.

Is it possible to remove the battery and run my MBP with power cord plugged in ?

Is this safe??
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:57 AM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Yes it's possible, but not recommended.

Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:58 AM   #3
iPhoneCollector
Banned

its really hard to remove the battery (i.e you have to remove the whole bottom of the unibody). i would say its not that much of a problem to use the power supply. if your battery dies then just let apple replace it. no big deal.
iPhoneCollector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:09 AM   #4
samratm
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to samratm
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneCollector View Post
its really hard to remove the battery (i.e you have to remove the whole bottom of the unibody). i would say its not that much of a problem to use the power supply. if your battery dies then just let apple replace it. no big deal.
Apple doesn't replaces battery for free and my MBP is out of warranty.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:33 AM   #5
snaky69
macrumors 68040

The battery cycles itself be letting itself uncharge to 95% and back up to 100% on a regular basis. If you unplug the MBP once in a while for an hour or two or if you bring it with you to watch TV on the couch it's fine.

You can keep it plugged in at all times without damaging the battery all that much, just try and think to unplug it for a few hours once in a while to keep the electrons moving and you'll be perfectly fine. My pre-unibody MBP has been plugged in 75% of it's life and the battery health still shows 80%.
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:51 AM   #6
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by samratm View Post
Apple doesn't replaces battery for free and my MBP is out of warranty.
Right. Sometimes you have to spend money to have things replaced.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Mabyboi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaky69 View Post
The battery cycles itself be letting itself uncharge to 95% and back up to 100% on a regular basis. If you unplug the MBP once in a while for an hour or two or if you bring it with you to watch TV on the couch it's fine.

You can keep it plugged in at all times without damaging the battery all that much, just try and think to unplug it for a few hours once in a while to keep the electrons moving and you'll be perfectly fine. My pre-unibody MBP has been plugged in 75% of it's life and the battery health still shows 80%.
Thats what normal batteries do, but i remember seeing a video on apples website about their new batteries (the ones in the Macbooks now) saying that once the battery was at 100% it stopped charging the battery and just devotes the power to the computer when using it... ill see if I can find the video about it..
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:27 PM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaky69 View Post
The battery cycles itself be letting itself uncharge to 95% and back up to 100% on a regular basis.
That's not true. Read the FAQ (link in 2nd post in this thread) and play special attention to the section "CHARGING".
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro