Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:12 PM   #1
carola4700
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Is 3G on Ipad really that slow?

I want to buy the ipad but also don't want wireless in my house so I have been asking about 3G option in apple store. I hear many different opinions. I know it is a little slower than wireless but some folks say MUCH slower and others say it's really fine. I would mostly be using just for browsing on Safari or firefox. I also heard that even with simple browsing (no email or move watching), you use up the MGB so quickly that the $25 just won't be enough in a one month period. Does anybody have any comments about this?
carola4700 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:27 PM   #2
ZilogZ80
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by carola4700 View Post
I want to buy the ipad but also don't want wireless in my house so I have been asking about 3G option in apple store. I hear many different opinions. I know it is a little slower than wireless but some folks say MUCH slower and others say it's really fine. I would mostly be using just for browsing on Safari or firefox. I also heard that even with simple browsing (no email or move watching), you use up the MGB so quickly that the $25 just won't be enough in a one month period. Does anybody have any comments about this?
3G will not be 'a little slower'. It will be far, far slower (not to mention more expensive). Why is it you do not want wireless?
ZilogZ80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:40 PM   #3
carola4700
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Is 3G on Ipad slow

OK. YOu've convinced me that it will be too slow to really enjoy. It's strange that the apple store people didn't explain that to me. The wireless costs $6 extra a month and i believe I have to pay time warner $100 to install it. I considered buying the airport express but if something goes wrong with the wireless, I wouldn't have any tech support whereas I do with time warner.
carola4700 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 06:30 PM   #4
iphone1105
macrumors 68000
 
iphone1105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by carola4700 View Post
OK. YOu've convinced me that it will be too slow to really enjoy. It's strange that the apple store people didn't explain that to me. The wireless costs $6 extra a month and i believe I have to pay time warner $100 to install it. I considered buying the airport express but if something goes wrong with the wireless, I wouldn't have any tech support whereas I do with time warner.
LOL got to best buy, cheap linksys, set up your own network, waste of a $100, lol, read up a little
__________________
Proud owner of a New Macbook Air
16GB iPhone 5
32GB Wifi+3G iPad 4
iphone1105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:48 AM   #5
nosser
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: orange
Send a message via AIM to nosser Send a message via MSN to nosser Send a message via Yahoo to nosser
I don't thing I would enjoy my iPad without 3G service. It depends where you live but I get about 2mbps download which is better than no internet on the go. But yes you need a wifi setup while at home.
__________________
Bryan Rica
iPhone 5 32gb | iPad2 64gb | 15" MB Pro 2.4 Penryn Core2Duo- 4gb ram | 17" iMac Core Duo-2gb ram | 12" rev D Powerbook Superdrive 1.25mb ram | Gripped Canon 50D
nosser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Wizard of Willo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Totally new to this technology. I will post a question here because I can't find how

I live in a remote part of Alaska. Purchased a 3G 32Gig iPad. I want to download past seasons of television series through I tunes and play them on a television (smart) similar to a DVD player. I was told AT&T would shut me off because it would be to much downloading even though I have their $25. month service. I do not want to store programs on iPad because I will delete after I watch. What is best way to accomplish this?
Wizard of Willo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Wizard of Willo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
almighty now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard of Willo View Post
I live in a remote part of Alaska. Purchased a 3G 32Gig iPad. I want to download past seasons of television series through I tunes and play them on a television (smart) similar to a DVD player. I was told AT&T would shut me off because it would be to much downloading even though I have their $25. month service. I do not want to store programs on iPad because I will delete after I watch. What is best way to accomplish this?
There is no internet available other than 3G.
Wizard of Willo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:39 PM   #8
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard of Willo View Post
I live in a remote part of Alaska. Purchased a 3G 32Gig iPad. I want to download past seasons of television series through I tunes and play them on a television (smart) similar to a DVD player. I was told AT&T would shut me off because it would be to much downloading even though I have their $25. month service. I do not want to store programs on iPad because I will delete after I watch. What is best way to accomplish this?
AT&T's $25 plan is good for 2GB of data transfer per month. An episode of a one-hour TV show is... well, the one I have is around 750MB. So downloading about 2 and a half episodes of a TV show will use up your monthly data allowance. I think you can buy another 2GB by paying AT&T another $25, but really, at that rate, I think you'll be better off buying the show on DVDs.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Wizard of Willo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
thank-you Night Spring

Thank-you night spring. That was what I needed to know. Will buy series next time when in the city.
Wizard of Willo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resolved: iPad Slow Syncing JackieInCo iPad 4 Feb 3, 2014 09:58 AM
iPad: ATT LTE on my ipad air is extremely slow compared to the 5S and iPad 4! richard371 iPad 0 Nov 2, 2013 01:16 PM
iPad: Is the iPad 3 slow? trevpimp1 iPad 11 Dec 22, 2012 05:38 PM
Will 4th generation Ipad sales be slow in anticipation of next Ipad? gadget123 iPad 46 Oct 30, 2012 11:55 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC