Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dr-jerry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Hi I'm currently considering buying a magic mouse having waisted already two normal mice (the scroll ball at the top gives problems, even cleaning with alcohol does not work anymore)
But I'm a bit worried about the fact that it is only wireless, so i do have some questions:
  • is it only available wireless?
  • How does it work with an older (white) imac? I read somewhere that bluetooth might be problematic.
  • How is battery life? And how dow I recharge it? Some wireles windows mice have a docking station. The magic mouse not?
  • How is your general satisfaction with the magic mouse?

Okay a lot of questions, hopefully somebody will take some time answering them. My mac has snow leopard so os wise it should be capable of running it?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
1. Yes, only wireless
2. Should be fine with the older imac
3. Battery life is good - lasts weeks. Depends on how you use the computer, really.
4. Buy a charger and rechargeable batteries. Apple supply one, or buy a third party set. Much cheaper than buying fresh batteries.

mheidt

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
With older OS X versions you need to install something separately to get the magic working (scrolling etc.)

There is a 3rd party docking station but it is too expensive. 49EUR iirc.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I think it's a great mouse - best one I've used in fact. I would recommend testing one for comfort though. It is a very "flat" mouse. Some people seem to prefer a chunkier mouse that you can rest your whole hand on.
The lack of any physical buttons/wheels/etc is a great bonus because there's nothing to get gunked up!
Battery life is OK, would recommend using rechargables though. If cash is not a concern, you could always get the inductive charger!!

rmcbuckeye

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
Ohio
I have a Magic Mouse. I like it a lot. It's easy to use, but I have to be careful sometime on how I scroll by using my finger on the mouse. It has a mind of its own. ;) My battery life is good. I have no complaints with it. I love the fact it is wireless!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
3. Battery life is good - lasts weeks. Depends on how you use the computer, really.
my energizer batteries easily last months at a time, fwiw
4. Buy a charger and rechargeable batteries. Apple supply one, or buy a third party set. Much cheaper than buying fresh batteries.

i also use duracell rechargables, i get about 2-3 weeks out of them - i never turn it off.

i would highly recommend the mighty mouse for use, i have found it to be extremely ergonomic and usable for my computers.

additonally, i would also HIGHLY recommend BetterTouch Tool to customise the magic mouse's ability to have gestures. e.g. if i tap left hand click my volume goes down, tap right volume goes up. tap left/right simultaneously and iTunes pauses. three finger swipe up forces safari to come to the front, etc. :)

sarahbikes

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Magic Mouse with Windows

I realize that this issue has probably been covered in multiple threads over a year ago, but I have neglected my beautiful iMac by not updating peripherals and the drivers to make them work the best.

I have a Magic Mouse but can't get it to sync with Windows via Boot Camp. I am on Leopard 10.5.8 (waiting until Lion to upgrade). I have tried downloading the software from uneasy silence, updating Boot Camp, and I'm not sure what to do next. What should be installed on Mac and what should be installed on Windows?

Would it be best to just wait until Lion comes out to sync everything up then, or is there something else to try?

I realize this is an outdated topic, but this thread has recent replies and I was hoping for some almost real-time support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.