Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:31 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Live Coverage of Launch of 'The Daily'

News Corp. today is holding a media event to launch its tablet-focused news publication, The Daily, which will initially be made available for the iPad. The event is scheduled to kick off at the Guggenheim Museum in New York City at 11:00 AM Eastern Time, or just about 30 minutes from now.

The Daily is offering a live video stream of the introduction on its website, where it has also announced that the application will go live in the App Store at noon Eastern Time, following the event.
Quote:
Watch at 11 a.m. Eastern Time today as News Corporation unveils The Daily, featuring special guest Eddy Cue, vice president of Internet Services from Apple. Check back later today for our full web site. The Daily will be available on the App Store starting at 12 p.m. EST.
Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of Internet Services, will be presenting at the event, presumably to discuss Apple's behind-the-scenes work to develop support for recurring billing to users' iTunes Store accounts. The Daily has been reported to be priced at $0.99 per week, which would be automatically billed directly to users' iTunes Store accounts rather than using separate payment methods.

In addition to The Daily's video stream, we will be updating this article with coverage as the media event unfolds.

Article Link: Live Coverage of Launch of 'The Daily'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:35 AM   #2
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

IMO, the masses are not ready to pay for their daily news. I think they're fighting a long, uphill battle here. They should give it away for at least the first week. Try and get people hooked.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:36 AM   #3
emvath
macrumors regular

Now I'll finally be able to get news on my internet enabled device.
emvath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:39 AM   #4
macrumors 65816

I will probably try it out with the free trial - but it must be really magical, amazing and unheard off to make me buy a subscription - must be better than the subscription free offers.

Also: Live coverage? Couldn't care less - I will just look for the summary once it's out, no need to sit through live coverage.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:39 AM   #5
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

I guess nobody here subscribes to any magazines? You can get basically the same info scattered all over the net too...for free.
I see this as a good thing for Apple's iPad. This type of thing will help bring forth more publications offered for Tablet device(s). If built/designed well and with easy to read/scan info and charts/links/video/etc this will be a good move and see how far people are willing to go with news.
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Digitalclips
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
IMO, the masses are not ready to pay for their daily news. I think they're fighting a long, uphill battle here. They should give it away for at least the first week. Try and get people hooked.
I not only agree but I'd suggest they would be better with a free / ad paid model period. If not then at least a free light version and a paid fuller maybe? There is simply too much free content out there for what at the end of the day is news.

The other problem these kind of products suffer from is they embrace this technology but frequently still think in terms of print ... in that the data is not continuously updated. If I bought this at 11 a.m. and the news changed by 2 p.m. the same day I would expect the article to update, I could be wrong but I seriously doubt this product will do that. I hope it does but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:41 AM   #7
mohrt
macrumors regular

Too bad I can't watch the coverage live from my iPad, since it is a FLASH video. The irony.
mohrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:43 AM   #8
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

What does this get me that Flipboard doesn't? I have a great mix of feeds that tailor the news to my interests.

Launching a whole new platform for news is cool, and all, but I'm not wowed by the offering. I'll check it out. But I'm coming with some low expectations.
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:43 AM   #9
notabadname
macrumors 65816

I pay for the WSJ, and it is well worth it, as do I for Scientific American, Aviation Week and Space Tech, and Car and Driver. They are all digital for me. So depending on the quality, organization and presentation, I certainly would be game for paying for a high quality, interactive product, not flooded with adds and pop-ups. But I certainly would need to have a demo period to check it out. And I think, depending on content, its price should be no more than $1.00/week.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:44 AM   #10
3goldens
macrumors 68000

watch rupert murdoch introduce what will be another one of his disgusting media prducts, NO THANKS!
3goldens is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:46 AM   #11
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrt View Post
Too bad I can't watch the coverage live from my iPad, since it is a FLASH video. The irony.
this is funny
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:50 AM   #12
dpace32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMRamage View Post
this is funny
theres an app for that...
dpace32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:51 AM   #13
e-coli
macrumors 68000

Breaking news about breaking news. Doesn't this cause some type of antimatter that gobbles up the Universe?
e-coli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:53 AM   #14
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post
watch rupert murdoch introduce what will be another one of his disgusting media prducts, NO THANKS!
Get over yourself already. This has been played out to death. This is more or less about the technology and the fact that Newscorp PARTNERED with Apple in developing this. You love Stevie J right??? Well he and Rupert seem to be in a partnership.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:55 AM   #15
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

I'd fire the marketing manager over that. Just inexcusable.

EDIT: You can view it on the iPad. Never mind.

Last edited by rdowns; Feb 2, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:55 AM   #16
jhnnyklry9394
macrumors member

I' m curious to see what's so great about this app that they need to have a press conference for it...
jhnnyklry9394 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:55 AM   #17
Full of Win
Banned

Credit card in one hand iPad in the other. Where do I sign up?
Full of Win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:57 AM   #18
hfletcher
macrumors regular

Looks like it's been delayed slightly. The countdown jumped back up again on the video stream. 4 minutes to go, but it's saying 8...
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:58 AM   #19
Gen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
You don't even know what they are about to announce and you're already dismissing them and giving your valuable-opinion?
Gen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:59 AM   #20
Frosticus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Not Flash. Try again.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:00 AM   #21
Boomchukalaka
macrumors regular

Like most people, I'll probably try the free trial of The Daily. I am interested to see what this product, the first of it's kind I believe, designed specifically for a tablet does differently. If I find that the delivery of this content is in some way superior to the websites of newspapers I read on my ipad, I'd consider it.

My biggest fear, since Murdoch is involved with this, is that it'll have the same "fair and balanced" editorial slant as Fox News. In that I have zero interest.
Boomchukalaka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:01 AM   #22
dball4
macrumors regular

The same statements

Everyone is stating the same statements like they always do, stating that it is a failure before it is even launched. They said it about the iPhone, and the iPad and look where it's at now. Murdoch only invests in products that he can make a profit out of in 10-20 years, he thinks in the long term and that is what he is doing with this.
dball4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:01 AM   #23
franswa za
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums View Post
Get over yourself already. This has been played out to death. This is more or less about the technology and the fact that Newscorp PARTNERED with Apple in developing this. You love Stevie J right??? Well he and Rupert seem to be in a partnership.
strangest, kinky gay setup iHave seen............ who's the daddy then?

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/61506334@N04/
franswa za is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:01 AM   #24
lethalOne
macrumors member

Quote:
Er, it works on my iPad. Sometimes it is best to try things rather than spout crap that shows your ignorance.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:02 AM   #25
louis Fashion
macrumors 6502a

Got Live if you Want it.

Why does this require live coverage? It's not like they are going to show us the White iPhone.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion