Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Feb 7, 2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Skika
macrumors 68020

Lion installation disc?

Hi,

i have a question, if my friend plans to buy a mac later this year when Lion will be included standard, can you use that disc to install on other Macbooks? I heard that disc that come with the computers are made just for them, is that true?

Tnx
Old Feb 7, 2011, 02:28 PM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6

If it stays true to form, discs that come with a computer will be machine specific and not able to be used on other computers
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 02:28 PM   #3
simsaladimbamba

You won't be able to use that DVD as it is tied to the machine.
You need to go the legal route and buy ...
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 02:38 AM   #4
pacmania1982
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Hi,

i have a question, if my friend plans to buy a mac later this year when Lion will be included standard, can you use that disc to install on other Macbooks? I heard that disc that come with the computers are made just for them, is that true?

Tnx
How about waiting for the release date for Lion, then buying a Mac a week before. You'll get the Snow Leopard DVD which will be machine specific, but you should then be able to get the Lion installer disk for the price of shipping and handling - usually $9.95 or something. That way it should be a universal disk and not tied to a machine?

Just an idea

pac
Old Feb 9, 2011, 03:56 AM   #5
supermariofan25
macrumors member

why don't you just buy it?

Why don't buy it? it's only about $40 AUD i think
supermariofan25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 04:20 AM   #6
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermariofan25 View Post
Why don't buy it? it's only about $40 AUD i think
The OP is talking about a future iteration of Mac OS X, called Lion and to be released in summer 2011. Therefore the OP can't buy it yet, but prices are unknown too.
What you seem to refer to is Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, the current iteration of Mac OS X and it costs 39 A$ as you implied: http://store.apple.com/au/product/MC...co=MTY3ODQ5OTY
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:27 AM   #7
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmania1982 View Post
How about waiting for the release date for Lion, then buying a Mac a week before. You'll get the Snow Leopard DVD which will be machine specific, but you should then be able to get the Lion installer disk for the price of shipping and handling - usually $9.95 or something. That way it should be a universal disk and not tied to a machine?

Just an idea

pac
Or wait and buy the computer in the week after. If you buy a stock machine they normally have the same mail in disks to put in the box, until the New OS stock starts to role in.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion