Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

231453-10j855.jpg

As noted by AppleInsider, Apple has seeded a fourth beta version of Mac OS X 10.6.7 to developers for testing purposes. The new version, termed Build 10J855, comes just over a week after the previous seed and reportedly carries no documented known issues.

Apple continues to ask developers to focus their testing on Mac App Store, AirPort, Bonjour, SMB, and Graphics Drivers, while the update has grown in size by over 35 MB to weigh in at 412.6 MB as a delta update.

A targeted public release timeframe for Mac OS X 10.6.7 remains unknown.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.6.7 Build 10J855 to Developers

thesk1llerz

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
At least they are putting more resources to the graphic drivers. Maybe in a few years OS X will rival or surpass windows in a gaming sense (un-likely but what the hell, maybe)
~ Sk1llz

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I wonder how many more updates there will be before Lion. Does anybody else think this might be one of the last?

If nothing else I really hope they continue to work on graphics drivers. It seems like that work would actually carry over to 10.7 and not be a total waste of time. I'm still looking for more gaming improvements.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
If nothing else I really hope they continue to work on graphics drivers. It seems like that work would actually carry over to 10.7 and not be a total waste of time. I'm still looking for more gaming improvements.

Graphics driver updates for Snow Leopard after Lion is released? Not likely, generally when Apple releases a new OS the previous version only gets security updates.

But the torch of graphic driver improvements will be passed onto Lion so not to worry there.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Graphics driver updates for Snow Leopard after Lion is released? Not likely, generally when Apple releases a new OS the previous version only gets security updates.

But the torch of graphic driver improvements will be passed onto Lion so not to worry there.

No of course not after Lion is out. With suggestions that this might be the last 10.6.X update (I doubt it will be) my hope is that if they do issue the final Snow Leopard update 4 or 5 months before 10.7 is released that they'll continue working to improve graphic drivers in the meantime. As everyone is aware there is still a lot of work needed to bridge the gap between performance under OS X and Windows.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Haven't had any graphics driver related crashes, but definitely some flakiness. Like going from the Dock [with the animations enabled], and going to the active app window. The graphics get chopped in the dock, and kind of stick. Hard to explain, and not earth shattering. But I guess I expect more...?

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Given what has been revealed about the Lion user interface thus far, I hope Apple continues to support OS 10.6 for a while longer. Obviously, OpenGL 3.0 support would be nice, but Apple seems to have some issue with GLSL 1.3 (is it perhaps a compatibility problem?), so it unlikely to happen for Snow Leopard.

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
you cant be serious? it will be to at least 10.6.9 or even 10.6.10 before the Lion release date is even mentioned.

i would doubt that
10.6.7 could still be a while off
and the release date for Lion will be released in June?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i would doubt that
10.6.7 could still be a while off
and the release date for Lion will be released in June?

10.6.6 was released 6th Jan (with the apple store). its now the 12th of Feb, so basically a month between releases. if we follow this month to month trend we may even see more (but i doubt it).

i thought the release was scheduled for August.?

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
10.6.6 was released 6th Jan (with the apple store). its now the 12th of Feb, so basically a month between releases. if we follow this month to month trend we may even see more (but i doubt it).

i thought the release was scheduled for August.?

the release is in August
but you said before the release date which should come in June?

for example Mac OS X 10.6.5

first build: August 13
public release date: November 10

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.