Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Feb 9, 2005, 03:23 AM   #1
ceytl
macrumors newbie

Convert Windows programs to Mac

Is there a way to convert a Windows program to a mac or do you build it from the ground up? Also if you cannot convert the program, is there a way to use some of the same data files in the mac app?
ceytl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 03:42 AM   #2
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceytl
Is there a way to convert a Windows program to a mac or do you build it from the ground up? Also if you cannot convert the program, is there a way to use some of the same data files in the mac app?
That depends on the kind of program you wish to convert. Simple applications which involve nothing more that a console will convert fine by just compiling them with a Mac compiler.

As far as the program's data is concerned, in most cases you will not need to convert them, but there are exceptions. If they are cross-platform data (like a specific image format, or movies, or plug-ins designed for the program) I think that you shouldn't have any problem.

But, again, you can't tell for sure, because each program is different. In your post you don't give any specific information about the program you wish to convert so I cannot tell you if it can be done.
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:33 AM   #3
stcanard
macrumors 65816

Assuming you're talking about porting source code, depending on how complicated the program you can look into Darwine. It's a port of the wine libraries to OSX. The wine libraries essentially port the win32 system calls to other platforms, so you can have source code compatibility. Recompile the app with winelib and it runs native, then you can take your time slowly moving to Cocoa native calls.

Of course the practice isn't nearly as simple, and work ntill needs to be done, but it gives you a good first step.
stcanard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:39 AM   #4
ceytl
macrumors newbie

This is the program

The program is called Parts Mart

you can download the program from my website.
http://homepage.mac.com/ceytl/partsmart/
it is in a zip format

The program basically lets you look a lawnmower model# then search for parts through diagrams, when you select a part it tells you a price and current info. The manufacture price files come with the cd so you can get their current information.

I wanted to know if it could be converted over to a mac and how I could find someone I could hire to do it.

Thanks
ceytl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 08:22 AM   #5
buggybear
Banned

help converting windows programs to mac...

can anyone tell me if it's possible to convert a windows program/game to mac? cause i have this really simple 2d game on my windows thats unbelievably addicting (its called "icy tower" download at www.freelunchdesign.com) and i really need to find a way to convert it to mac platform. any help?
buggybear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 01:14 PM   #6
GeeYouEye
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to GeeYouEye Send a message via Yahoo to GeeYouEye
Quote:

it is in a zip format

The program basically lets you look a lawnmower model# then search for parts through diagrams, when you select a part it tells you a price and current info. The manufacture price files come with the cd so you can get their current information.

I wanted to know if it could be converted over to a mac and how I could find someone I could hire to do it.

Thanks
Depends one what it's written in, for starters. If it's a VB app, then you're pretty much going to have to rewrite it or run it under Virtual PC. If it's a Win32 app, the Darwine will suffice. If it's a C#/.NET app, then you're probably best off rewriting it in Java.
Like politics, free speech, computers, entertainment, and more? Join us at Wordforge.net
GeeYouEye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:02 AM   #7
Dippo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggybear
can anyone tell me if it's possible to convert a windows program/game to mac? cause i have this really simple 2d game on my windows thats unbelievably addicting (its called "icy tower" download at www.freelunchdesign.com) and i really need to find a way to convert it to mac platform. any help?

Unless you have the source code, then you can forget about converting it.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:16 AM   #8
Dippo
macrumors 65816

Quote:

it is in a zip format

Thanks

IMPOSSIBLE!!

Your best bet would to run it in VirtualPC or something, because you don't have the source code so the program would have to be written from scratch.

Considering it is being sold for $240 at http://ipmsoftware.com/partsmart.htm I seriouly doubt that you are going to be able to find someone to write it for you at a reasonable price.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:53 AM   #9
pasketi
macrumors newbie

generally

So what about this worlds greatest game, generally? Can someone convert it to mac? i tried from parallels, but it's laggin so much u cant play it so....
pasketi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:54 AM   #10
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
Nice thread resurrection my friend.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:09 AM   #11
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasketi View Post
So what about this worlds greatest game, generally? Can someone convert it to mac? i tried from parallels, but it's laggin so much u cant play it so....
If you have the source code (not normally available) and a team of expert programmers yes. How much are you looking to pay to have this done? I expect a budget in the 10s of thousands at a minimum will be required.

Unless it runs OK under crossover...
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming