Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:06 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Working on Cheaper, Smaller iPhone and MobileMe Overhaul

Old iPhone Nano concept design
The Wall Street Journal seems to confirm an earlier Bloomberg report that Apple is working on a smaller, cheaper version of the iPhone due this summer:
Quote:
One of the people, who saw a prototype of a new iPhone several months ago, said the new device is intended to be sold alongside the current line of iPhones and would be about half the size of the iPhone 4. The phone, one of its codenames is N97, would be available to mobile carriers at about half the price of Apple's main line of iPhones, the person said.
The previous Bloomberg report claimed the price of the smaller iPhone would be $200 without contract, opening the door to the phone possibly being discounted to free with contract. The iPhone Nano rumor has been circulating for years with various case designs and enclosures suggesting at least prototype work had been done on it over the years.

Next, The Wall Street Journal claims that Apple is also working to revamp its MobileMe service. Apple is reportedly considering making MobileMe a free service. The new free service could serve as a digital "locker" for photos and video, or become the focal point for online music.

Both the new smaller iPhone and revamped MobileMe service are expected this summer.

Article Link: Apple Working on Cheaper, Smaller iPhone and MobileMe Overhaul
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:07 PM   #2
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

I still find this (old) rumor a little hard to believe. But, with retina-class displays, they can fit more pixels into smaller screens.
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Voidness
macrumors 6502a

Interesting. But I don't see how an iPhone Nano would be possible from the application compatibility perspective. If they make the screen smaller, everything on the screen would be too small to tap.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:10 PM   #4
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Well, if The Wall Street Journal says it.........
osx11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:10 PM   #5
louis Fashion
macrumors 6502a

me me mobile me

OOOooo will mobile me be free?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:10 PM   #6
barny
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to barny
I know this is still speculation but if it did happen it would be the ideal phone for me. What i need is phone that is relatively cheap, pay as you go and with a good interface. This would offer all of that
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:10 PM   #7
btcutter
macrumors 6502

MobileMe should be free with purchase of a qualifying Apple product. Simple!

Right now I don't even use my MobileMe email because Gmail is free and I don't want to get tied down with Me.com address just in case I don't feel like renewing.
btcutter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:10 PM   #8
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Next, The Wall Street Journal claims that Apple is also working to revamp its MobileMe service. Apple is reportedly considering making MobileMe a free service. The new free service could serve as a digital "locker" for photos and video, or become the focal point for online music.
I hope the dumb schmucks like myself who paid up can get a pro rata refund :'(.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Mike84
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
I still find this (old) rumor a little hard to believe. But, with retina-class displays, they can fit more pixels into smaller screens.
I find it hard to believe as well. One thing that I think is that if there is in fact a smaller iPhone, that that iPhone would not have some of the features that the current iPhone 4 and future iphone 5 have. Perhaps no facetime?

The thing is, it seems Apple usually makes their older iphone cheaper, based on what they did with the iPhone 3Gs. So, if they continue that trend, the iPhone 4 should become $99. If that is the case, why would they make a smaller iPhone?
Mike84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:11 PM   #10
bartonlynch
macrumors regular

I don't see an iPhone nano coming, I don't know who would want it (same with that new HP phone) but MobileMe for free? And better? Sounds good! It would be a good selling point for iPhones/iPads/iPods, if they make it more reliable. Can't wait to see what Apple comes up with next!!
Who thinks iPhone V sounds good? I do.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:11 PM   #11
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Why? Makes sense in this stage of the product cycle. The iPhone as a product line is already 4 years old. Smartphone sales are still a fraction of overall mobile phone sales. There's clearly a lot of untapped revenues for smartphones. An "iPhone nano" could reel in people with its lower pricepoint and more compact design. That's probably also what HP is trying to do with its new Veer.
thelookingglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:12 PM   #12
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

Why won't an iPhone nano happen? Keyboard.

If it had a sliding physical kb, then game on.
Saladinos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:12 PM   #13
pittpanthersfan
macrumors 6502

No thanks on a smaller iPhone. But free MobileMe? Yes, please!
pittpanthersfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:13 PM   #14
nostaws
macrumors 6502

I would buy one

I would consider buying one. I have thought about not keeping my iphone (3g) when I renew my contract, because I have my iPad just about wherever I go.

If Apple had a more affordable alternative, I might go for it.
nostaws is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:14 PM   #15
iPhoneCollector
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladinos View Post
Why won't an iPhone nano happen? Keyboard.

If it had a sliding physical kb, then game on.
I'd hate a slide out keyboard.
iPhoneCollector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:15 PM   #16
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
The previous Bloomberg report claimed the price of the smaller iPhone would be $200 without contract, opening the door to the phone possibly being discounted to free with contract.
Hey Apple, you know what would be truly revolutionary? Figure out a way to get mobile carriers to let us do away with the contracts altogether (you know, like you did with the iPad).

In Canada we need to sign 36-month contracts for smart phones, and that has been a major factor in why I don't yet have one.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:16 PM   #17
Slix
macrumors 6502

Either Apple won't do it, or they'll make it ridiculously awesome.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:17 PM   #18
bartonlynch
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneCollector View Post
I'd hate a slide out keyboard.
it's better than a microscopic on-screen keyboard
the current iPhone keyboard is great and, I think, as usable as any physical keyboard, but it's as small as it can get
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:18 PM   #19
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

Really can't figure out where a smaller iPhone would fit in the product line-up... you don't really hear anyone complaining about the size of the iPhone 4, and if there's a new iPhone this summer, they can keep the current iPhone on as the low-cost option, as they have always done. A smaller phone would introduce a lot of fragmentation into the App store, as you'll likely have different resolutions, hardware specs, etc, on current-gen devices. A smaller screen with the same resolution would make for UI problems (much as a 7" iPad would), and why would it be cheaper just because it's smaller? If anything, it'll use more expensive components to get the size down. I just don't buy this one, even from the WSJ.
DTphonehome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:18 PM   #20
hayesk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
With Retina-class displays, number of pixels is irrelevant. The physical size of the screen and the elements on it are.
hayesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:18 PM   #21
Warbrain
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Hey Apple, you know what would be truly revolutionary? Figure out a way to get mobile carriers to let us do away with the contracts altogether (you know, like you did with the iPad).

In Canada we need to sign 36-month contracts for smart phones, and that has been a major factor in why I don't yet have one.
If Apple is the only carrier pushing for that change they'll laugh right in Apple's face.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:18 PM   #22
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

i can see a lot of people wanting a smaller iPhone. for me it's a no because i use the iPhone next to talking mostly for internet/googlemaps/GPS and this would be quite bad on a smaller screen.

I'd rather take my card out and pop it into a small robust phone while biking/skiing or other sports. but then apple is thinking about a proprietory built in sim card. that would suck then....
andiwm2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:19 PM   #23
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

I'd consider an iPhone nano. I'm using my iPad more for app use, so my phone use has become lighter. I'd seriously consider a smaller model.
firestarter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:20 PM   #24
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
Why? Makes sense in this stage of the product cycle. The iPhone as a product line is already 4 years old. Smartphone sales are still a fraction of overall mobile phone sales. There's clearly a lot of untapped revenues for smartphones. An "iPhone nano" could reel in people with its lower pricepoint and more compact design. That's probably also what HP is trying to do with its new Veer.
As was mentioned up-thread, taking last year's hardware and deeply discounting it gets the price down (for the hardware). What I think Apple should be looking at, if they are, is building a smaller iPhone to run on less-expensive networks. If you want iPhone 5 (or, I guess 4), you're on AT&T or Verizon (in the US). Send iPhone Nano to Sprint and its MVNOs.

I'm an Apple purist, but if I was platform-agnostic, I'd be looking at the LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile. $150 hardware and $25 per month for unlimited data and texts. And 300 minutes of talk-time. That's the market Apple should be shooting for. And maybe this is there way of doing that.
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:20 PM   #25
hayesk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcutter View Post
MobileMe should be free with purchase of a qualifying Apple product. Simple!

Right now I don't even use my MobileMe email because Gmail is free and I don't want to get tied down with Me.com address just in case I don't feel like renewing.
You've failed to state why it should be free. Gmail is not free - gmail costs your data and contacts being used to advertise to you. Apple does not do this. But if you're ok with that, then use GMail and stop caring about Mobile Me.

Sure, we'd all like free stuff from Apple, but come on - why would a business give you value-added service for free?
hayesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion