Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virividox

macrumors 601
Original poster
well just the hard drive woke up to hear the click of death and the screech of terror

anyway was able to target firewire mode and recover pictures and documents that were not in the weekly backups

lost my 30 gig music library, but its on an ipod so ill just download it

not really that mad just irked cuz its gonna cost me to replace the drive oh well

lesson learned

data redundancy rocks
and all things mechanical fail

hope to get on the forums more regularly once my mac is back online

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
This is my worst nightmare. I bought a 250GB hard drive a few weeks ago for backups and that sort of thing. I've only copied my music library to it and some applications and stuff as well.

Is there any easy way to make a full backup?

Applespider

macrumors G4
CarbonCloneCopier(free) or SuperDuper!(free for basic back-up, $19.95 for incremental and extra roll-back features) will both make bootable clones to your new drive.

I use SuperDuper! which was very easy. Basically, start program - choose disk to back up, decide whether you want to test backup by rebooting into it, hit OK and wait.

You may have got some software for backing up files with the drive. LaCie ones come with Silverkeeper, IIRC

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
virividox said:
you can also use apples disk image utility

happens to us all

im just disappointed thatmy hd failed in just a little over 2 years

bad luck with the hdd ,just thinking if you can buy apple care for it ?? this late on in the game

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
See, this is scary. I've had numerous computers over the past 8 years and only the past few weeks i've started backing up. Even at that, i haven't made a full back up of everything yet. You read all these horror stories of power surges causing hard drives to fry etc :(

What exactly is a hard drive crash/failure? I've been thinking about this SMS feature of the new powerbooks.... is it any useful?

I could search but i'm too lazy today.

virividox

macrumors 601
Original poster
liketom said:
bad luck with the hdd ,just thinking if you can buy apple care for it ?? this late on in the game

too late in the game oh well it happens

hard drive failures caused by a lot of things

but its the only moving part in the computer aside from the cddrive and all that movement is bound to give way sometime

just back up

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
once the HD is gone it is also too late to make any backups, which is always sad. a few months ago i was helping a friend out that had the same problem - except her powerbook gave no indications of failure prior to the actual moment (in fact, it was running just fine, went to sleep, and then wouldn't wake up - didn't even sound like the HD had spun down). at least most of your stuff is backed up (good job doing that weekly).

the HD is dead. long live the HD!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
You've just inspired me to update my backup, which is about 4 weeks old :eek:

virividox

macrumors 601
Original poster
most of my back ups were of specific things

but i think now the hassle of having to fix settings and all i will change my back up strategy to doing an entire disk image

it will take much more space on the external, but hey if ever it happens again at least i wont be wasting time :D

knock on wood

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I take it you just use the disk utility supplied with os x to make a disk image?

What about the program backup? I downloaded it a while ago but never installed it. Any good?

Again i apologise for being lazy.

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
EGT said:
This is my worst nightmare. I bought a 250GB hard drive a few weeks ago for backups and that sort of thing. I've only copied my music library to it and some applications and stuff as well.

Is there any easy way to make a full backup?

Yeah, select all and drag to the hard drive - easy. :)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
EGT said:
What exactly is a hard drive crash/failure? I've been thinking about this SMS feature of the new powerbooks.... is it any useful?

A "Head Strike" is when the head of the hard drive, which writes the data to the disk and 'floats' a few nanoinches above the platters of the hard drive. If it strikes the hard drive, it may cause data loss or damage but not necessarily kill the drive forever. Bad news though because of the data density among hard drives these days...

A "Head Crash" is when the head buries itself into the platter. The hard drive is toast. It is dead, gone, not alive anymore, whatever you want to call it. Call DriveSavers and hope and pray to your god and the three closest religion's nearest that they can help you out.

A "Hard Drive Failure" is when something like the motor breaks so the platters or something cannot spin. Essentially, something aside from the head of the hard drive breaks.

I just backed up my PowerBook because its taking a trip to AppleCare....:)
Thank you Apple for FireWire Target Disk Mode!

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
Mechcozmo said:
A "Head Strike" is when the head of the hard drive, which writes the data to the disk and 'floats' a few nanoinches above the platters of the hard drive. If it strikes the hard drive, it may cause data loss or damage but not necessarily kill the drive forever. Bad news though because of the data density among hard drives these days...

A "Head Crash" is when the head buries itself into the platter. The hard drive is toast. It is dead, gone, not alive anymore, whatever you want to call it. Call DriveSavers and hope and pray to your god and the three closest religion's nearest that they can help you out.

A "Hard Drive Failure" is when something like the motor breaks so the platters or something cannot spin. Essentially, something aside from the head of the hard drive breaks.

I just backed up my PowerBook because its taking a trip to AppleCare....:)
Thank you Apple for FireWire Target Disk Mode!
Ya - that firewire disk mode saved me not once, but twice!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
jackieonasses said:
Ya - that firewire disk mode saved me not once, but twice!

Actually my repair was unrelated to the hard drive... it was due to some case problems. The case was separating. It left 3:45 today... :(

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Backup is a real pain for me because I have over 700GB of data across several HDs. I'd imagine I'd have to spend at least $1000 on firewire cases and extra drives to keep a full backup of all my data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.