Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Spring Training is under way which means baseball is about to return for another season.

- Will AJ Sucknett go back to being AJ Burnett? How will the Yankees perform this year?

- Will the Red Sox bounce back this year?

- How will the Rays perform this year after losing a lot of their talent?

- How will the Phillies perform with their solid pitching rotation?

- Was the Giants WS win a fluke or will they remain a force to be reckoned with this season?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Jut noticed this, I was about ready to start up a new one.

At the moment the best teams are the Phillies and Red Sox, of course paper doesn't play the games so we will have to see how it all pans out. All it takes is one injury to derail a team.

Not sure what Burnett will do, I doubt we see lights out from him but hopefully he plays better than last year and doesn't completely fly off the rails. I would not be surprised to see Pettitte get the itch come June and want to play half a season.

The Rays really just don't care, why else would they get rid of their talent and pick up Damon and Manny. The team has money they just don't want to spend it on keeping the team relevant.

I'm sure the Giants will be contenders but will have a hard time getting past the Phillies.

Looks like Pujols is burning his bridges at St Louis as he will turn free agent come the end of the season.

Then there are the Mets, who knows who might be owning them come the end of the season.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
New era in ATL with Bobby Cox gone
That may be good, and may be bad

Questions:
Can Chipper Jones survive the season? He seems healthy now, but breaks down
Can Jason Heyward beat the sophomore slump?
What can be expected of rookie Freddie Freeman at 1B?
How will Martin Prado adjust going from 2B to LF to accommodate Uggla?
Can Nate McClouth or Jordan Schaffer get any production in CF?

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
Go Redsox!!! I hope they really let ellsbury and crawford run though. In they past they have been a bad stealing team and don't give that steal signal that much but with ellsbury and crawford on the basepaths they can really have a big advantage if they let them steal a lot.

EazyWeazy3

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Red Sox and Yankees will be disappointments again. The way it should be.

The Giants will compete with the Rockies for the West. That division is a toss up.

With that said, The Repeat is in full effect.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It is nice to have baseball on the tube, even if it is only spring training.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Giants still look like the strongest team in the NL West. The Padres, their toughest competition from 2010, weakened significantly. The Rockies and Dodgers will be a bit tougher than they were last season, but don't think either of them improved enough to catch the Giants.

The Phillies. Their rotation looks untouchable, though be sure to ask the Giants about how they fared against them all five of them in the LCS & World Series. Their starters will need to be on top of their game because the Phils' offense is worse on paper, with key players getting older and their most productive hitter from last season leaving via free agency. A lot is riding on Domonic Brown; I'm just glad the Giants don't have to put such pressure on Brandon Belt.

The Braves can clearly compete in the NL East, all depending on if they can stay healthy, of course.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
If the RedSox can stay healthy this year, I think we are the team to beat in the AL.

Phillies and Giants in the NL are the early favorites in my opinion.

robo

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2005
Giants still look like the strongest team in the NL West. The Padres, their toughest competition from 2010, weakened significantly. The Rockies and Dodgers will be a bit tougher than they were last season, but don't think either of them improved enough to catch the Giants.

The Phillies. Their rotation looks untouchable, though be sure to ask the Giants about how they fared against them all five of them in the LCS & World Series. Their starters will need to be on top of their game because the Phils' offense is worse on paper, with key players getting older and their most productive hitter from last season leaving via free agency. A lot is riding on Domonic Brown; I'm just glad the Giants don't have to put such pressure on Brandon Belt.

The Braves can clearly compete in the NL East, all depending on if they can stay healthy, of course.
I'm not worried about the Phils pitching staff ;) The thing that worrys me is their offense :eek: Utley's hurt (tendonitis in his knee) nobody to bat righthanded behind Howard:confused: and old age in general:rolleyes:

Right now in Philly it's hockey season:D:D:D

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
my draft picks

here are my draft picks...what you guys think?

Adrian Gonzalez
Ryan Zimmerman
Jacoby Ellsbury
Jason Heyward
Elvis Andrus
Aaron Hill
Kurt Suzuki
Andre Ethier
Grady Sizemore
Chicago White Sox
Michael Bourn
Kila Ka'aihue
Domonic Brown
J.J. Hardy
Mitchell Moreland
Julio Borbon

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
just wanted to make an announcement: i won't be doing a 2011 national tv schedule, at least not right now. just too much on my plate at the moment. but if someone wants to make one on ical, just pm me and i'll give you some pointers.

anyway, on to my picks.

NL: phillies, reds, giants, braves (wc)
AL: red sox, twins, rangers, rays (wc)

world series: rangers over braves in 6

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
You really think the Rays have a chance this year and they are better than the Yankees?

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
I'm not worried about the Phils pitching staff ;) The thing that worrys me is their offense :eek: Utley's hurt (tendonitis in his knee) nobody to bat righthanded behind Howard:confused: and old age in general:rolleyes:

Right now in Philly it's hockey season:D:D:D

Let's hope hockey season is not the only highlight. Potentially no football and aging bats means Broad and Pattison could be an angry place after the Flyers finish up...

robo

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2005
Let's hope hockey season is not the only highlight. Potentially no football and aging bats means Broad and Pattison could be an angry place after the Flyers finish up...

Not if the Flyers win the Stanley Cup.:cool:;):D

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
You really think the Rays have a chance this year and they are better than the Yankees?

I'm not sure the Rays have a chance, but the Yankees are in trouble unless they pull out a miracle with their starting rotation. Even IF Burnett has a career year, their 1-5 won't be anywhere close to the best. Throw in an aging/overrated infield defense and age/durability questions with Jeter/A-Ro(i)d etc and I think it's fair to say the Yanks are anything but a lock for this year.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I am taking my son out of school tomorrow and we are heading to Coors Field for opening day tomorrow. Can't wait. Go Rockies!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.