Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:03 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CDMA iPhone Unlocked to Run on China Telecom Network, Deal Coming?

The Wall Street Journal reports that employees of Chinese carrier China Telecom have successfully jailbroken and unlocked the CDMA iPhone 4, getting the device to run on the company's network.
Quote:
Employees of the Guangdong branch of China Telecom teased users this week with a post on its microblog saying they were working on a way to crack Verizon Wireless' CDMA iPhone, suggesting users might be able to use the device on China Telecom's network.

A post signed the "Apple Lab Team" on the Sina Weibo account identified as belonging to the Guangdong branch of China Telecom said Tuesday the "CDMA iPhone 4 has made its first call in China" without a hitch. Preceding posts included a photo of a Verizon Wireless iPhone beside a tag labeled China Telecom Guangdong, then a photo of the device displaying the home screen for Cydia, a software application that allows users to find applications and software packages for jailbroken Apple devices.
China Telecom has reportedly been in talks with Apple to offer the CDMA iPhone 4 and a new report from Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White points to hints that a deal is probably coming sometime this year.
Quote:
"The key takeaway," writes White, "is that the relationship between Apple and China Telecom is clearly moving in the right direction, and we believe that a deal will eventually be announced this year."
China Telecom currently has 90.5 million subscribers, putting it only slightly behind Verizon and AT&T in terms of total subscriber base.

Article Link: CDMA iPhone Unlocked to Run on China Telecom Network, Deal Coming?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:33 PM   #2
timothyjay2004
macrumors regular

I wonder how they got to that screen on the Verizon iPhone? I can't find it anywhere on mine. Not that it is a huge deal, just wondered how they got to that screen?
timothyjay2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:39 PM   #3
AriX
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to AriX Send a message via Skype™ to AriX
I don't see the fact that the company is publicly endorsing jailbreaking & unlocking as an indication that a deal with Apple is coming soon, but whatever...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:49 PM   #4
goobot
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post
I wonder how they got to that screen on the Verizon iPhone? I can't find it anywhere on mine. Not that it is a huge deal, just wondered how they got to that screen?
jailbreak
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:55 PM   #5
mrbrown
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to mrbrown Send a message via AIM to mrbrown Send a message via MSN to mrbrown Send a message via Yahoo to mrbrown
Unless I'm not understanding something correctly, I was always under the impression that an unlock on a CDMA phone didn't even exist because the phone's not "locked" -- the network provider only has to add the phone's ESN to its database.

Given that these were some employees of the provider, it really wouldn't be hard to add the Verizon iPhone to its network.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:29 PM   #6
Nermal

I believe that you still need to program the NAM on the phone, but having never seen a Verizon iPhone I don't know whether a jailbreak is required for that or not. You'd also need to know the SPC although I read somewhere that all Verizon phones just use 000000.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Cartoonkid
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
jailbreak
"There's gonna be a jaaaaaaaaaailbreak!" (In my best Bon Scott voice)
Cartoonkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:09 PM   #8
timothyjay2004
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrown View Post
Unless I'm not understanding something correctly, I was always under the impression that an unlock on a CDMA phone didn't even exist because the phone's not "locked" -- the network provider only has to add the phone's ESN to its database.

Given that these were some employees of the provider, it really wouldn't be hard to add the Verizon iPhone to its network.
You are very correct. Only part that might be different and require a modification would be carrier settings. I'm not 100% sure how the iPhone works, but I would assume that there are some kind of carrier settings that tell the iPhone what servers to use for that carrier etc. When I used to mod my motorola v3m, I would take a brazilian carrier's software (because verizons for it sucked) and install it, but then had to rewrite manually each verizon specific setting back to it. It wasnt difficult, but it wasnt easy. GSM is different, the GSM card has everything the phone needs to know for the most part. So, Yes, in theory all China Telecom would have to do is add the ESNs, but i don't know if it would be able to do data.. cell calls yes, but data out of the box, probably not.
timothyjay2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:24 PM   #9
mrbrown
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to mrbrown Send a message via AIM to mrbrown Send a message via MSN to mrbrown Send a message via Yahoo to mrbrown
Quote:
but i don't know if it would be able to do data.. cell calls yes, but data out of the box, probably not.
From the photo they posted, it looks like they've got data (albeit, 1xRTT). Don't know if they had to do any additional modification to get that, though.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:46 AM   #10
seanm9
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriX View Post
I don't see the fact that the company is publicly endorsing jailbreaking & unlocking as an indication that a deal with Apple is coming soon, but whatever...
So true, how to get Apple to want to work on your network.

Step 1 Hack the Phone..

Step 2... there is no step 2
seanm9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Tailpike1153
macrumors 6502a

If a customer jailbreaks the iPhone, Apple blacklists the device and turns the water hose on the "offender." So what happens when the jailbreaker is a telecom company?
Tailpike1153 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:20 PM   #12
sectime
Banned

Quote:
Settings/Phone/Verizon Services
sectime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:17 PM   #13
kny3twalker
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectime
Quote:
Settings/Phone/Verizon Services
Was just about to post this. LOL
kny3twalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:28 PM   #14
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
There's a video of a Verizon iPhone 4 running on Sprint. Thought I don't believe it lol.

Verizon iPhone 4 Unlocked for Sprint

Something about it doesn't sound right...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:05 PM   #15
mrbrown
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanatic10 View Post
There's a video of a Verizon iPhone 4 running on Sprint. Thought I don't believe it lol.

Something doesn't sound right because it's a load of garbage. Unless he's a Sprint employee who is able to provision new devices on the Sprint network, his video is a fake.

It's not as simple as unlocking the GSM iPhone to work on a network other than AT&T or placing some random file on the phone.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:27 PM   #16
eNcrypTioN
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanatic10 View Post

Would be nice if Apple would just open up the iPhone to all carriers so people don't have to hack the phone like this.
eNcrypTioN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:25 AM   #17
Omniblast
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm9 View Post
So true, how to get Apple to want to work on your network.

Step 1 Hack the Phone..

Step 2... there is no step 2
I thought the steps were like this.

1) Obtain a iPhone

2) Hack iPhone

3) ?????

4) Profit!
Omniblast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 02:10 AM   #18
ment
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

The Wall Street Journal reports that employees of Chinese carrier China Telecom have successfully jailbroken and unlocked the CDMA iPhone 4, getting the device to run on the company's network.China Telecom has reportedly been in talks with Apple to offer the CDMA iPhone 4 and a new report from Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White points to hints that a deal is probably coming sometime this year.China Telecom currently has 90.5 million subscribers, putting it only slightly behind Verizon and AT&T in terms of total subscriber base.

Article Link: CDMA iPhone Unlocked to Run on China Telecom Network, Deal Coming?
Free download
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:43 AM   #19
jozzy
macrumors newbie

iOS 4.3 no unlock for baseband iPhone 4

I have been waiting for long time for iPhone 4 unlock and today I read they are still not able to unlock baseband 2.10.04.

Next time never buy locked iPhone.

I hope what I read is not true.

iOS 4.3 Jailbreak And Unlocking Baseband 2.10.04, 3.10.01 and 4.10.01
jozzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:17 PM   #20
mamba
macrumors newbie

youhave old baseband
you can update it to new unlockable one
mamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:36 AM   #21
adulti
macrumors newbie

Not yet

still don't see any deal here, i'm in shanghai, china for more than 6 month!

i've been waiting!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion