Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
The FAA has authorized Executive Jet Management to use the Jeppesen Mobile TC App for the iPad as an alternative to paper aeronautical charts.

This is the first step for "Electronic Flight Bags" to be used by Airline Pilots to better manage the paperwork blizzard pilots face during their flights, and increase safety.
It has been a dream for years to have such a thing, and now it is reality!

It also makes iPad acceptable for all manner of transportation duties, not just airplanes because a Federal agency says so.

It's not to airline level yet, but it is big first step.

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articl...rts.html?WT.mc_id=110218epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan

Edit:
FAA Regulations for the use of:
AC 120-76A.pdf

AC 91_78.pdf

And suggestion for better use if iPad/iPhone as EFB
http://www.aviationconsumer.com/issues/41_12/accessories/6096-1.html

Last edited:

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I hope if I'm on a plane, the pilot that is flying that day doesn't get a pop-up notification while he is checking his chart (blocking the middle of the screen).

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
While interesting I wonder about a couple of things. What happens if your battery dies or if you break your iPad mid-flight?

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
That's the dumbest thing yet. You know those pilots are going to be surfing the web and playing Fruit Ninja.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
This is the first step for "Electronic Flight Bags" to be used by Airline Pilots to better manage the paperwork blizzard pilots face during their flights, and increase safety.
Good news!

I hope things keep progressing in this area.

blackberrypilot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
This is great news. Paper charts are in pita. I wonder if they'll allow the iPad to replace a flashlight for night flights...:apple:

flyboybiker

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
It's already pretty common in the corporate aviation world. The company I fly for has been testing one to see if we like it. We still have to carry a paper backup in Canada, but it's still a whole lot easier to use than the paper charts. It sounds like in the US you can go paper less if you have a backup battery source, or possibly 2 Ipads, I'm not quite sure of the rules there. Regardless, most crews I see both have one. It's a great tool for flightplanning and checking weather, communicating with dispatch and so on.
I'm hoping my company go's ahead and buys me one, as I can't justify it on my own at the moment.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
This is great news. Paper charts are in pita. I wonder if they'll allow the iPad to replace a flashlight for night flights...:apple:

Nothing beats a flashlight if you need to see in a corner or inside something. Too hard for an iPad to do, lifting it up and such.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
As someone who has a passion for aviation and flying in general this is really exciting news for me.

I am sure pilots with have a hardcopy backup just in case the iPad fails in flight.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
While interesting I wonder about a couple of things. What happens if your battery dies or if you break your iPad mid-flight?
I'm guessing the pilot and co-pilot will simply plug their iPad's in.

As for a pilot breaking his iPad? 1. Auto-pilot 2. Radio navigation 3. Paper-charts will likely remain within the cockpit, for emergencies.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Electronic Flight Bags have been a reality for over a decade. They are usually based on Microsoft tablet PCs, so it's interesting (but not surprising) that someone used an iPad instead.

FAA approval is only needed for flight-for-hire operations. A private pilot can use a PC or an iPad on their own authority.

Class 1 Type B approvals like this are almost the lowest type. It's strapped to your knee or perhaps yoke during use. It's not hooked to the aircraft's instruments, but can use aircraft power.

Why should I, consumer, care? Enlighten me, por favor.

Your pilot could be less distracted with this, than trying to find and read a smaller paper approach plate. Like paper, the electronic would still need to be the latest update of course.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010

It also makes iPad acceptable for all manner of transportation duties, not just airplanes because a Federal agency says so.

It's not to airline level yet, but it is big first step.

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articl...rts.html?WT.mc_id=110218epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan
In an plane, the iPad, or any other tablet/elecronic device, will NEVER replace paper, only accompany it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well I wouldn't call this huge news.

Yeah good news for those aviation type folks, but for the rest of the unwashed masses, it means nothing at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.