Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Installing 10.7 on Primary Machine

• I won't and wouldn't recommend it.

Votes: 44 24.2%
  • I will be - we'll see how it goes

Votes: 35 19.2%
  • I have - no major functionality bugs

Votes: 73 40.1%
  • I have - going to have to go back to Snow Leopard

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Don't have access to try

Votes: 23 12.6%

• Total voters

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Considering it. I'm down to one machine, so to test the OS I'd have to replace Snow Leopard. Anyone else doing it, or have already done it?

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Considering it. I'm down to one machine, so to test the OS I'd have to replace Snow Leopard. Anyone else doing it, or have already done it?

I have Lion running on my main MBP. No problems so far.

Photshop CS5 works, office for mac 2011 works, Aperture 3 works.

Only thing that does not work is the WebKit nightly build browser, not much of a loss there.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
You can install Lion on an external USB drive and boot into it when you want to try it out, which is what I've done.
I certainly wouldn't recommend using it as your main OS as it's the initial beta and anything could happen with it, including loss of data, etc.

One thing that doesn't work with Lion is Dropbox - Lion just says it's incompatible and you need a newer version (which obviously doesn't exist yet)
Also, no Rosetta in Lion for those who want to run PowerPC apps

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Ive always had good luck with betas. It doesnt take long before the betas become just as good for most people as the final release.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Somewhat. Me and my wife have 2 iMac 27's and I've installed it on my iMac and MBAir 13. One to have during my daily home routine and one to take and test on the go. Also this can give me a side by side comparison when executing the same task between Lion and SL.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I have a second partition on my drive that I'm going to put it on to test with. I'd use a different machine if I had one, but I still don't want it to be my primary OS on here.

jW

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Installed on 2008 Mac Pro, no problems.
Installed on 2010 MacBook Pro (which I use more often), no problems so far either, except iCal won't quit...

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
You can install Lion on an external USB drive and boot into it when you want to try it out, which is what I've done.
I certainly wouldn't recommend using it as your main OS as it's the initial beta and anything could happen with it, including loss of data, etc.

One thing that doesn't work with Lion is Dropbox - Lion just says it's incompatible and you need a newer version (which obviously doesn't exist yet)
Also, no Rosetta in Lion for those who want to run PowerPC apps

Change the info.plist in your dropbox-application to version 2.0 and Dropbox works just fine: details are here

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
I've got it installed and running on my primary laptop and have no issues. I have a desktop running SL as a fallback in case something that I need isn't compatible but honestly, I don't foresee it being a problem. Apple is the type of company that doesn't release low-quality stuff, even if it is an early beta. :)

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
I've got it installed and running on my primary laptop and have no issues. I have a desktop running SL as a fallback in case something that I need isn't compatible but honestly, I don't foresee it being a problem. Apple is the type of company that doesn't release low-quality stuff, even if it is an early beta. :)

Ditto'd, there is one small encoding program that doesn't work and my other machine running snow leopard is doing that task. Only used once a week (literally)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
BTW, I have it on an external and I've noticed that the finder and spotlight will hang occasionally when trying to access my internal SSD. What happens is that the Finder will actually "eject" the drive. Anyone else?

Definitely gives me pause about installing it on the SSD as the primary OS.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Seems to run well, I am struggling with the touchpad gestures though, pinching is buggy and hard to do so having to unpinch with 4 fingers to see the desktop sucks, I liked being able to set that to swipe-up. I also desperately want ALL-windows expose back, the "show apps" expose function is useless. I havent used it much but even VMware Windows 7 works.

Anyone know if you can customize the expose swipes?

What is with all the grey icons? I have to actually look for what I want now. This is terrible UI design, color allowed me to auto-pilot to icons Im familiar with, now they are all identical so you have to actually hunt for the icon you need. For instance it was really easy to pick out the desktop icon in a drop down list since it was the purple square, now its a grey square among other grey squares.

Last edited:

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010

You'd be surprised. I was running Leopard beta back in the day, and Mail just would not work. It crashed one day, and every time I tried to bring it back up after that would result in me having to force shut down the entire computer. Betas are betas. They're not meant to be perfect.

nathanl1192

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2010
I installed it onto a partitioned external hard drive. I am running my primary machine off of it now!

That way I could do a clean install, without losing or risking any of my files! And it works a dream!

DandsM

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Guys, I am trying to install 10.7 through VMWare Fusion on my MacBook and it is stuck at the grey boot screen for 20 minutes so far. I think there is a problem, can you help me?

Thanks

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F5166b Safari/6533.18.5)

DandsM said:
Guys, I am trying to install 10.7 through VMWare Fusion on my MacBook and it is stuck at the grey boot screen for 20 minutes so far. I think there is a problem, can you help me?

Thanks

It doesn't work in Fusion (as you've found...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.