Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It appears Apple has finally put Front Row out of its Apple TV software 1.0 misery. They've removed all traces of it from 10.7 Lion and it's not even a customized option on the install image.

I guess it's no surprise since they recently ported the interface to ARM for Apple TV 2.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Interesting. I wonder if they will finally axe iSync, or at least put it in the Utilities folder. They should probably put Time Machine in there too.

Do you have access to the preview? Any word on if Chess has been updated? Is iChat still the same? I ask because it seems like a merger between iChat and Facetime would make sense.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Dont suppose they replaced FR with the ATV software/interface??? I HATE front row and have a mac mini hooked to a projector (non HDMI) that could really use a face lift!!!!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Dont suppose they replaced FR with the ATV software/interface??? I HATE front row and have a mac mini hooked to a projector (non HDMI) that could really use a face lift!!!!

as long as your content isn't purchased from the iTunes store have you looked into plex? or even xbmc.
If you did get it from itunes, because of DRM, you're currently stuck with an apple solution (front row, :apple:tv).

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Interesting. I wonder if they will finally axe iSync, or at least put it in the Utilities folder. They should probably put Time Machine in there too.

Do you have access to the preview? Any word on if Chess has been updated? Is iChat still the same? I ask because it seems like a merger between iChat and Facetime would make sense.

iChat does not have Facetime capabilities. Time Machine was updated with "Versions" support so it's not going anywhere. I'll let you know about Chess and iSync.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
iSync is gone. Chess was updated (not sure what they did though).

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Front Row looked like it needed way too much work anyway. It's not too big of a deal with all the other htpc programs out.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I won't miss Frontrow, as I haven't used it since Tiger. I use iTunes directly to play my music, and any DVD i put in auto-loads anyway. Either that or I use my ATV to access\play my media. However, I will be peeved if they remove an OS X native chat client.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
iChat was also updated to 6.0, but doesn't include FaceTime support. FaceTime.app 1.0 is included in beta.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
I'm not too familiar with using a mac mini, since I'm on the ATV2 bandwagon... but, I thought frontrow was how people use the mac mini as htpc.

How will they access the itunes DRM contents, etc, going forward on a TV? :confused:

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I'm not too familiar with using a mac mini, since I'm on the ATV2 bandwagon... but, I thought frontrow was how people use the mac mini as htpc.

How will they access the itunes DRM contents, etc, going forward on a TV? :confused:

iTunes, QuickTime player or Apple TV. Of course, this is only the first public beta of Lion. I'm sure we'll see additional enhancements and features in Beta 2, Beta 3, etc. I'm not entirely convinced they'll even reveal everything until WWDC.

Some developers have found references to features that are not yet included like "Find My Mac" and "cloud folders."

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If fronteow goes, What will fire up by default when you use the apple remote??

They must be in the process of revamping iTunes to the point where frontrow is no longer needed.

I use frontrow everyday, it's a simplified iTunes interface which isn't perfect but works pretty well.

I use

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
My guess is that the full screen version of iTunes will look like the new Apple TV interface and that is what your Mac will default into when clicking the menu button on the remote.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
My guess is that the full screen version of iTunes will look like the new Apple TV interface and that is what your Mac will default into when clicking the menu button on the remote.

More likely Apple will assume you have at the least an iPod Touch, and that you'll use a combination of the the remote app, and AirPlay to drive media on your Mac.

FrontRow could very easily just be dead. Remotes aren't included by default anymore, so any FR update would be for a subset of older Macs only.

ckd

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Since right now I'm waiting for Apple to release a Thunderbolt-equipped Mac mini I can use for an uber-AppleTV HTPC, I'm really hoping that Apple keeps the IR sensor and puts either Front Row or something better into Lion. (A full-screen iTunes mode would be a possible "something better" as long as it'll play VIDEO_TS; the whole point of a Thunderbolt-ized setup is to let me hook up a big fast RAID of DVD images....)

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
This is another flip-flop for me. On one hand, I use iTunes for most of my media.

On the other, I love watching movies and being able to control them with the remote via Front Row. Even more-so, I love the ability to easily browse new movie trailers. Another feature of the Mac OS I'm sad to see go.

Maybe Lion really isn't for me. :(

pondosinatra

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Calgary, Canada
...Maybe Lion really isn't for me. :(

Ya I'm on the fence - that's assuming my ancient Core 2 Duo iMac will even run it. If I can install it Lion will be my last OS X install - I refuse to buy a new system until Apple offers a non-glossy screen option. They refuse to do that, so I refuse to ever buy another Mac.

Sigh.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
More likely Apple will assume you have at the least an iPod Touch, and that you'll use a combination of the the remote app, and AirPlay to drive media on your Mac.

Is there any news on whether you can use airplay to display video on a mac rather than an :apple:TV? I have a mini as an HTPC, and it would be unfortunate if I couldn't use it to display video via AirPlay. While it's not the most impressive interface in the world, I do use front row. I do hope some sort of decent sofa-friendly interface is available for this sort of use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.