Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
This is another flip-flop for me. On one hand, I use iTunes for most of my media.

On the other, I love watching movies and being able to control them with the remote via Front Row. Even more-so, I love the ability to easily browse new movie trailers. Another feature of the Mac OS I'm sad to see go.

Maybe Lion really isn't for me. :(

Fortunately for you, XBMC and Plex more than covers those bases.

Ya I'm on the fence - that's assuming my ancient Core 2 Duo iMac will even run it. If I can install it Lion will be my last OS X install - I refuse to buy a new system until Apple offers a non-glossy screen option. They refuse to do that, so I refuse to ever buy another Mac.

Sigh.

Your iMac has Core 2 Duo. That means it will run Lion just fine.

For non-glossy screens: Apple's laptops offer them. Desktop? Just get a Mac mini and an external display from another manufacturer. Problem solved.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Ya I'm on the fence - that's assuming my ancient Core 2 Duo iMac will even run it. If I can install it Lion will be my last OS X install - I refuse to buy a new system until Apple offers a non-glossy screen option. They refuse to do that, so I refuse to ever buy another Mac.

Sigh.

I'm becoming a bit afraid of Apple's OS upgrade policy these days since I have a Core 2 Duo MBP now and I'm starting to wonder when I'll be forced to upgrade for an OS update. Each OS has been slowly fading out previous computers, and granted, the Core Duo processors were from 2006, but I think they still sold them through 2007, making that series only 4 years old. Excluding them from the entire OS makes me fearful of how soon I'll have to upgrade my MBP; 2 years? 3 years? I hope at least that long... :(

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
My guess is that the full screen version of iTunes will look like the new Apple TV interface and that is what your Mac will default into when clicking the menu button on the remote.

Great guess. Since all native apps are getting a full screen mode, Front Row would be redundant because iTunes would be doing the same thing.

That said, full screen doesn't mean a remote controller interface. It still needs to be a cursor based UI and full featured. Something similar to AppleTV may emerge, but I suspect it'll still look like iTunes, but in full screen.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Is there any news on whether you can use airplay to display video on a mac rather than an :apple:TV? I have a mini as an HTPC, and it would be unfortunate if I couldn't use it to display video via AirPlay. While it's not the most impressive interface in the world, I do use front row. I do hope some sort of decent sofa-friendly interface is available for this sort of use.

Erica Sadun wrote a tool called airplayer that enables this exact thing.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
NOOOOOooooooo!!! I was waiting for them to improve it, not ditch it.

My guess is that the full screen version of iTunes will look like the new Apple TV interface and that is what your Mac will default into when clicking the menu button on the remote.

That would be nice, but I'm skeptical. Apple wants me to go out and buy an :apple:TV and it's not happening.

Oh well, it's only eye candy I guess. My iPhone remote apps do a pretty good job of controlling the Mac and iTunes.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I used Front Row on a mac mini long before the first ATV came out. Loved it, and when the ATV came out, hated the ATV interface. But as they improved that and FR stayed the same, combined with he sheer ATV convenience, I grew to hate FR.

Now....no great loss really. It feels clunky compared to the last ATV1 interface, and even the ATV2 interface, which needs work, is better.

pondosinatra

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Fortunately for you, XBMC and Plex more than covers those bases.

Your iMac has Core 2 Duo. That means it will run Lion just fine.

For non-glossy screens: Apple's laptops offer them. Desktop? Just get a Mac mini and an external display from another manufacturer. Problem solved.

Ya and another manufacturers keyboard, mouse and then at that point why not just get a PC or create a Hackintosh?

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Ya and another manufacturers keyboard, mouse and then at that point why not just get a PC or create a Hackintosh?

Why would you have to go with another manufacturers keyboard and mouse?

That makes no sense at all......just buy BT keyboard and either Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad. Done!

Only non apple hardware is monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.