Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Whitelightning
macrumors regular

Connect MBP to HDMI via Thunderbolt or Displayport?

Being a first time mac user... what exactly do you use to connect from MBP to HDMI? (for both video and audio) Is there anything you guys can recommend?
Whitelightning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:27 PM   #2
superericla
macrumors 6502

Seeing as the thunderbolt port is also a mini displayport connection, you could use a mini displayport to hdmi adaptor.
superericla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Broward
macrumors newbie

I ordered the Kanex V2 adapter from Amazon, they had it for $21 and change. I couldn't find any reports of people trying it with the new models yet. Hopefully someone here may be able to elaborate on whether the adapter still works with this model.
Broward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:32 PM   #4
superericla
macrumors 6502

I can confirm it will work without issues. Apple stated on their website that the thunderbolt port will also accept mini displayport devices and can be used with mini displayport cords.
superericla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Treeman574
macrumors regular

I bought the moshi mini dp hdmi adaptor from the apple store with my 15" pro. The new model comes with sound, since the thunderbolt/mini display can now handle sound as well as video.

It's $49 Australian, but since it comes with the computer and has free shipping, it will end up cheaper than if I purchased a random third party adaptor.
Treeman574 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:40 PM   #6
missr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeman574 View Post
I bought the moshi mini dp hdmi adaptor from the apple store with my 15" pro. The new model comes with sound, since the thunderbolt/mini display can now handle sound as well as video.

It's $49 Australian, but since it comes with the computer and has free shipping, it will end up cheaper than if I purchased a random third party adaptor.
Your Moshi adapter worked? Mine didn't... wondering what the issue is..... :/
missr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 01:08 PM   #7
dagamer34
macrumors 65816

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-DisplayPo.../dp/B0025V2VO0
Old Mar 1, 2011, 01:12 PM   #8
JamesGorman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeman574 View Post

The 2010's do sound as well.
JamesGorman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 01:27 PM   #9
JTToft
macrumors 6502a

Has anyone else noticed a specific product line disappearing from the online Apple Store some days ago? Thursday or Friday last week, there were a product line called iWires. They were neatly designed cables made especially for Apple products, but they disappeared from the store again on Friday or Saturday. I actually wanted to buy a mDP to HDMI cable of this brand along with a MacBook Pro on Saturday, but couldn't due to the removal...

Take a look at their website here: http://www.techlink.uk.com/products/wires_cables/iwires
JTToft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 01:29 PM   #10
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816

Works fine. Kanex makes good stuff for a reasonable price. I'm also using their min display port to displayport cable for my NEC monitor. No clunky adapter, just a cable.
http://www.kanexlive.com/products/mdp_hdmi_10ft.html

They make a similar cable for HDMI but its pricier.
http://www.kanexlive.com/products/mdp_hdmi_10ft.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broward View Post
I ordered the Kanex V2 adapter from Amazon, they had it for $21 and change. I couldn't find any reports of people trying it with the new models yet. Hopefully someone here may be able to elaborate on whether the adapter still works with this model.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:53 AM   #11
mmansell
macrumors newbie

The Kanex v2 fixed the display port issues on Thunderport

I just got my Kanex v2 adapter and it worked flawlessly. The Moshi Mini display port to hdmi adapter that I had been using with my mid 2010 macbook pro didn't work with my new Macbook pro with the thunder port. I got the Kanex v2 adapter from Amazon and it fixed everything. I have my MBP hooked up to a 24" Dell monitor. I now have it hooked up to my 52" Sony LED TV watching a movie while I'm posting this. It's as cheap as $17 through this link: Kanex v2 adapter
mmansell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:38 AM   #12
mmond
macrumors newbie

Adapter missr suggested worked for me too

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041NFIBS?...MTYKMGC56BR51&

New 2011 MBP 15" video failed with old adapter and works with above adapter.

Best,
Mark
mmond is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro