Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abacab

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
I am the Sys admin at an All Mac Shop.
Set up as Follows:
Xserve connected to 14TB Promise Vtrak Raid via Fiber, Drives 1 & 2 on Xserve Raided with System, Users,Groups & data on vtrac raid. Drive 3 on Xserve used as a CCC emergency Boot. 24 TB NAS connected via ISCI to which whole system is TIME MACHINED for back up. NOTE: all users are MOBILE ACCOUNTS THAT HAVE SERVER HOME FOLDERS.

There is an identical setup at a colocation to which the data is Rsynced on an hourly basis.

This has worked flawlessly for 3 years but since the last update, something broke in Time machine and backups fail AND APPLE IS NO HELP BECAUSE TIME MACHINE IS NOT AN ENTERPRISE BACKUP SOLUTION.

So does anybody have any suggestions? I've looked at Bru, (Overkill)
and RETROSPECT JUST PLAIN SUCKS!

I also purchased a 16 TB Drobo to test on.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Is there any specific reason for you to use Time Machine?

Personally, I'd stick with a simple scheduled rsync.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
so you want a backup solution for the 14TB server? will this be incremental, or just once every x months - or what?

i too think rsync is always a great idea as it allows things to continually run (the backup would take forever! :eek:).

for a paid solution, i guess CCC or something similar. retrospect does suck :p

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
so you want a backup solution for the 14TB server? will this be incremental, or just once every x months - or what?

i too think rsync is always a great idea as it allows things to continually run (the backup would take forever! :eek:).

for a paid solution, i guess CCC or something similar. retrospect does suck :p

rsync backups incrementally as well, so the 14TB won't be an issue.

I wouldn't rely on CCC for an enterprise solution. Although I never had any issue with it, it is too error prone (just look at the bug reports).
rsync is on the market for more than a decade and is widely used in enterprise environments.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
I am using Amazon S3 service for backing up our servers. It's cheap and reliable. You can rsync with them or push your files to their servers.

Abacab

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Rsync & CCC

The total amount of data is only about 7 TB. We used Time Machine because if somebody accidentially erased a file it could be retrieved.
I also had the Promise Raid take a dump and we were able to do a complete restore from Time Machine with no issues.
What I have found so far with CCC, it takes some time to move this amount of data , so scheduling is the trick.
Anybpody familiar with Atempo products? They seem good but nobody ever responds from thier website.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
rsync backups incrementally as well, so the 14TB won't be an issue.
that's true - it does seem to be a very highly recommended industry standard.

I wouldn't rely on CCC for an enterprise solution. Although I never had any issue with it, it is too error prone (just look at the bug reports).
rsync is on the market for more than a decade and is widely used in enterprise environments.
not enterprise no, but i thought it used rsync on the backend? we use it work for computer backups/moves/changes etc, and it runs not TOO bad, never had a problem with it (but it is pretty slow).

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
The only issue with rsync to a standard filesystem is versioning. Time Machine provides that, so you'd be wise to rsync to a versioned system.

For example, let's say you rsync at 7pm nightly. Someone deletes a file at 5pm, and then your rsync kicks off. At 8am, they realize they need the file restored. Without a versioning system, you're out of luck.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
not enterprise no, but i thought it used rsync on the backend? we use it work for computer backups/moves/changes etc, and it runs not TOO bad, never had a problem with it (but it is pretty slow).

CCC does indeed use rsync for syncing the selected directories. However, the rsync command has to be fed with the appropriate parameters. I'm not saying that CCC doesn't work (I use if for years now and never had a single problem), there are reports where CCC went wrong, though. For consumers, I highly recommend that application, for enterprise, I'd rather stick to manually kick off an rsync process without a fancy GUI on top of it, as that introduces more error possibilities.

The only issue with rsync to a standard filesystem is versioning. Time Machine provides that, so you'd be wise to rsync to a versioned system.

For example, let's say you rsync at 7pm nightly. Someone deletes a file at 5pm, and then your rsync kicks off. At 8am, they realize they need the file restored. Without a versioning system, you're out of luck.

That's exactly why I asked for a reason to use TimeMachine. Versioning would in fact be the only thing that comes to my mind with this backup method.

For versioning with rync, you should take a look at rsnapshot.

ArcSissy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
Hello Abacab,

I've been using Archiware's PresStore for some time now.
You might take a look at this application.

In a similar data surrounding, it takes care of daily incremental synthetic backups to several NAS solutions and on a weekly bases it does incremental backups to tapessets. Synchronisation to multiple destinations is supported as well. It might be an overkill for you ... but my experiences are good.

Hope this helps,
ArcSissy

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
CCC does indeed use rsync for syncing the selected directories. However, the rsync command has to be fed with the appropriate parameters. I'm not saying that CCC doesn't work (I use if for years now and never had a single problem), there are reports where CCC went wrong, though. For consumers, I highly recommend that application, for enterprise, I'd rather stick to manually kick off an rsync process without a fancy GUI on top of it, as that introduces more error possibilities.

woops, late reply!

i completely agree with you there - we want to reduce the possibility for errors in the more demanding areas (such as enterprise).

what i do still find is that even in these areas there is still the unpredictability in the applications, which makes it very hard for choosing the "RIGHT software for you" -- it is more what WORKS or you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.