Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:15 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPod Mini - 5 or 6 GB & Color Screen?

According to sources close to ThinkSecret, Apple is expected to upgrade the line of iPod minis to include a larger 5 or 6 GB hard drive, and include a color screen.
Quote:
Highly reliable sources have confirmed that the next iPod mini will gain a full-color active-matrix TFT screen while the form factor will remain largely unchanged. The color screen will be able to display colors clearly and brightly regardless of ambient lighting, even outdoors in direct sunlight. The new screen will be about the same size as the current iPod mini display and will sport a 176x132 resolution.

Apple's move to a color screen on the iPod mini is part of the company's shift away from monochrome displays, sources said. Standard iPods will also gain color screens across the board with the next update later this year. The move toward color screens is part of an effort by Apple to keep its industry-leading iPod looking new and fresh. In the last 6-8 months, prices on small active matrix TFT screens have dropped sharply and several Apple competitors are already using them, including Rio, iRiver, Creative, Gateway, and Samsung.

The next iPod mini will also pack a higher capacity Seagate drive. Sources hinted at a 6GB drive, but Seagate currently only offers its 1-inch hard drive the iPod mini would use in a 5GB capacity. The possibility always remains that for a customer as large as Apple, Seagate may quietly roll-out a 6GB version of its ST1 Series hard drive alongside the new iPod mini.
Pricing is expected to stay at the current $249.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:17 PM   #2
SteveC
macrumors 6502

Nice. This could be the big announcement for next week. I wonder if we will also get an iMac announcement.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:17 PM   #3
xtanium
macrumors newbie

sweet

nice. its great that apple is moving away from B&W. niiice
xtanium is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:18 PM   #4
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Verrryy interesting...looks like I may need a mini to go along with my shuffle. Color screen is a big bonus. I almost bought a mini several months ago, but balked because the monochrome paled (no pun intended) in comparison to the color screen on the photos.
WildCowboy is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:19 PM   #5
Littleodie914
macrumors 68000

Awesome! I might consider getting one if the price stays at $249...
Littleodie914 is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:20 PM   #6
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
This might push me to get a new iPod, same price but COLOR!? Yay!

LimeiBook86 is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:21 PM   #7
TMA
macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Apple have made some breakthroughs in extending battery life? The current iPod Mini gives a just-about-bearable 8 hours maximum play time. With a newer HD and a colour screen this would place more demands on it, I just wonder what they've done to help it.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:22 PM   #8
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
makes me wonder if they'll offer the same photo support as in the iPod photo.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:24 PM   #9
TheMasin9
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to TheMasin9
looks like ill have to tell my gf to hold on the purchase. haha
TheMasin9 is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:24 PM   #10
sasza
macrumors member

Finally!

I hope it will have 6 Gb capacity
sasza is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:24 PM   #11
bdkennedy1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC
Nice. This could be the big announcement for next week. I wonder if we will also get an iMac announcement.
Yeah! iMac with a color screen!
bdkennedy1 is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:25 PM   #12
kidtronix
macrumors regular

would be a rather hard hit at everyone who coughed up the dough for an ipod photo. but it seems like the only direction to go, with color displays that is.
kidtronix is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:25 PM   #13
mxpiazza
macrumors 6502a

if the price stays the same, i am more than there... i have been in the market for a mini, but this makes it more than worth it to grab a new one.
mxpiazza is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:26 PM   #14
rtdgoldfish
macrumors 6502a

I figured this would happen. I waited and waited to buy my girlfriend her iPod mini and finally got it for Valentine's Day. Now they are going to be updated. I wouldn't have been too upset if it was just a 5 gig HD instead of 4 but now we are looking at possible color screens and 6 gigs! Guess I will have to give Apple a call and see if they will send us a new one.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:26 PM   #15
Lacero
macrumors 601

How about mini with no color screen, but 6GB harddrive, 20 hours battery life, and $199 price point? I really don't see the need for a color screen.
Lacero is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:27 PM   #16
LaMerVipere
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to LaMerVipere
Colour screen? I'll order it the same day it's released.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:28 PM   #17
davey-nb
macrumors regular

Smile Good one Nick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrumors
According to sources close to ThinkSecret, Apple is expected to upgrade the line of iPod minis to include a larger 5 or 6 GB hard drive, and include a color screen.

Pricing is expected to stay at the current $249.
Way to go Nick de Plume, what amazing sources you have, and sticking with you through lawsuits and plague and locusts. Awesome karma, it seems moles really, really like you!
Deep Throat lives on in Cupertino.
davey-nb is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:29 PM   #18
ipacmm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ipacmm
Cool...I will be ordering one if they come out next week.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:29 PM   #19
iJaz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacero
How about mini with no color screen, but 6GB harddrive, 20 hours battery life, and $199 price point? I really don't see the need for a color screen.
You can get a Shuffle if you don't like screens...
iJaz is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:29 PM   #20
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1
Yeah! iMac with a color screen!
Yeah, I'm really sick of monochrome iMacs too...come into the '80s, Apple!
WildCowboy is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:29 PM   #21
Mitthrawnuruodo

Hmmm... I can barely squeeze 9 hrs battery life from my year old mini. Hopefully Apple has improved the battery if they're really putting a colour screen on the next rev. A decrease in battery life would NOT be a good move...
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:32 PM   #22
Roz
macrumors newbie

anyone want to buy a slightly used ipod mini?
Roz is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:32 PM   #23
cmx08
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to cmx08
???

what will happend to the iPod photo?

i was hoping to see a capacity increase and a price decrease only, along with some design changes like a solid wheel like in the 3G and mic.

something that ppl will like more, more affordable.

why not radio? well the metal case of the ipods will weaken the RF, and besides, who will listen to the radio when they have 4-60GB of music

mic in HD based devices, even in flash based 64MB had have it as a handy recorder.
will it kill iMic or whatever the 3rd party mics are? no because they have more features and better quality.

well again, why not, apple had been killing competition with the apps like safari vs ie, mail vs outlook, shake and motion vs Adobe's, and last but not least, office vs iWork

like i read it somewhere, "...if the big companies can give it all to you, they can also take it away from you..." (this was refering to microsoft office at the time)
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:36 PM   #24
paulg
macrumors member

ipod mini

i dont see the point in a color screen either. graphically the monchrome screens look great. sticking with my 2ndGen ipod for now....we i'm broke so...
paulg is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:36 PM   #25
Thataboy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacero
And I really don't see the need for 20 hours of battery life. Why do you people need ANY more than 8... hell any more than 6??

Morning commute + Evening commute + Gym Time.. that's gotta max out at about 4 hours. Then you go home and dock it. Done. What kind of lives do you people lead where you need it non-stop, away from a socket, for 20 hours??
Thataboy is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)