Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:12 PM   #1
jbg232
macrumors 65816
 
jbg232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
iPad 2 has yellow tinting issue! (Pics included)

Just got back home with my shiny new iPad 2. Opened it up, turned it on, what do you know, quality control strikes again and there is yellow tinting at bottom of screen. Very visible on black background! Will have to return when they are in stock I guess....

Terrible quality photo (wanted to get this out quick) but on the left hand side about 1 inch up from the bottom left hand corner you can see the yellowing.

__________________
iMac | MacBook | iPad | iPhone | Apple TV
5D Mark III | 24-105L | 100-400L | 50 f/1.4 | 50 f/2.8 Macro
jbg232 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Blacklabel34
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Orange County
Send a message via AIM to Blacklabel34
doesn't even surprise me one bit....with multiple new launches a year (iphone, mbp, imac, ipad) QC has gone downhill.
Blacklabel34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Digitalflick
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
this again?

You realize it has to set still right?
__________________
Digitalflick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:14 PM   #4
SmittS
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Yep. Got the same thing.
SmittS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:15 PM   #5
zoman504
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
my 32GB wifi has it too! ****!!! What do we do now?
zoman504 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Intell
macrumors G5
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
It isn't a quality issue. It's the glue curing. It will all be clear and proper in a few days. Source: iPhone 4 yellow issue at launch
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:18 PM   #7
iMattcotv
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Guys relax please, my iPhone 4 had the same thing, it just goes away after a few days.

There is no need to take it back, relax.

Those who read this, spread the word so that people dont explode.
__________________
: If you recieved an Apple from me, its because I think your awesome!
iMattcotv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:18 PM   #8
zoman504
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
It isn't a quality issue. It's the glue curing. It will all be clear and proper I'm a few days. Source: iPhone 4 yellow issue at launch
Ok, thanks! I didn't have this issue w/ my i4 or iPad 1, but I did hear something about it.
zoman504 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:19 PM   #9
iserian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palo Alto Apple Store
Put your magnetical magical coverette on and you wont even notice it.
iserian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:19 PM   #10
Blacklabel34
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Orange County
Send a message via AIM to Blacklabel34
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoman504 View Post
my 32GB wifi has it too! ****!!! What do we do now?
riot?


email steve
but his response will probably be:

"your looking at it wrong"
-steve

(sillllly silly steve)


honestly, go back to the store ASAP and demand a new one, I would open it up there in front of the genius/tech to ensure you get a good one...repeat until solution is solved....hopefully they aren't all like this
Blacklabel34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:19 PM   #11
smiddlehurst
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Come on folks, I know it's an emotional day but we've been here before. Give it a couple of days to see if the problem goes away ala iPhone 4, if not take it back for warranty replacement. There, done, problem solved and no big drama.
smiddlehurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:19 PM   #12
KaPOWitsCHRIS
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Coventry, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMattcotv View Post
Guys relax please, my iPhone 4 had the same thing, it just goes away after a few days.

There is no need to take it back, relax.

Those who read this, spread the word so that people dont explode.
Like that'll make a difference. Haters gonna hate and all that.
KaPOWitsCHRIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:27 PM   #13
iserian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palo Alto Apple Store
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklabel34 View Post
riot?


email steve
but his response will probably be:

"your looking at it wrong"
-steve

(sillllly silly steve)


honestly, go back to the store ASAP and demand a new one, I would open it up there in front of the genius/tech to ensure you get a good one...repeat until solution is solved....hopefully they aren't all like this

If you ask nicely perhaps they will give you a free bumper.
iserian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:49 PM   #14
samven582
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
is the whole screen yellow?
samven582 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:50 PM   #15
samven582
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
It isn't a quality issue. It's the glue curing. It will all be clear and proper in a few days. Source: iPhone 4 yellow issue at launch
it has nothing do with glue
samven582 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:52 PM   #16
apattee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
For what it's worth, I got a 32gb black iPad and it also has the yellow tint at the bottom of the screen. Hopefully it goes away.
apattee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:55 PM   #17
Intell
macrumors G5
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven582 View Post
it has nothing do with glue
If the yellow disappears after a few days, then logic dictates it is glue as proven with thousands of iPhone 4's.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:07 PM   #18
henrikrox
macrumors 65816
 
henrikrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh my god. This again. Same with iPhone 4. Will clear up in some days.

God
__________________
15,4" rMBP, 2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Geforce GT650M, 512GB SSD.
henrikrox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:50 PM   #19
afan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Same thing here with a 16gb black. It looks like yellow lights at the bottom of the screen are lighting it up. Hope it clears up.
afan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:00 PM   #20
Crunch
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hollywood Hills, California
I got my iPad 2 today and thought that there was a difference between the iPad 1 and 2's "whiteness levels", so to speak. I've seen this before. The iPad 1, my particular model anyway, has an incredibly sharp and super bright white screen.

Conversely, I want to say that the iPad 2's white screen has slight "yellowish" undertones, doesn't it? I'm doing apples-to-apples comparisons, e.g. the Settings --> WiFi page, which is consists of lots of white background. The iPad 2 does not appear as super crisp as the iPad 1. They're definitely not identical. Are they calibrated differently maybe? I'm not even saying it's bad. There may be a lot of people who prefer the iPad 2's "warmer" white to the iPad 1's.

I've seen this before with BlackBerry's and it's driving me crazy. The iPad 2 has a "warmer" white "tone" to it, maybe that's a better way to describe it.

You really think this is going to go away???
__________________
Flash-only 27" iMac w/ quad-core Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz / 3.8GHz max. Turbo | NVIDIA GTX 775M w/ 2GB GDDR5 | 24GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung PCIe x2 SSD
Crunch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:13 PM   #21
iPadThai
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
.

You really think this is going to go away???
lol it won't go away. You people who believe it is glue must be sniffing some glue if you believe it will go away with time.

See: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=515
iPadThai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:53 AM   #22
Irunnoft
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
I got my iPad 2 today and thought that there was a difference between the iPad 1 and 2's "whiteness levels", so to speak. I've seen this before. The iPad 1, my particular model anyway, has an incredibly sharp and super bright white screen.

Conversely, I want to say that the iPad 2's white screen has slight "yellowish" undertones, doesn't it? I'm doing apples-to-apples comparisons, e.g. the Settings --> WiFi page, which is consists of lots of white background. The iPad 2 does not appear as super crisp as the iPad 1. They're definitely not identical. Are they calibrated differently maybe? I'm not even saying it's bad. There may be a lot of people who prefer the iPad 2's "warmer" white to the iPad 1's.

I've seen this before with BlackBerry's and it's driving me crazy. The iPad 2 has a "warmer" white "tone" to it, maybe that's a better way to describe it.

You really think this is going to go away???
It isn't your imagination. I have the exact same problem with 2 of my 3 new ipad 2s. Both my white and black 64gb models have this yellowish overall tint. It isn't on one particular area of the screen. It is the whole screen. My son's white 32gb ipad 2 has a brilliant whitish/blue screen.

I also have lights bleeding from many sides on all iPads.
Irunnoft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:22 AM   #23
Crunch
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hollywood Hills, California
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post
It isn't your imagination. I have the exact same problem with 2 of my 3 new ipad 2s. Both my white and black 64gb models have this yellowish overall tint. It isn't on one particular area of the screen. It is the whole screen. My son's white 32gb ipad 2 has a brilliant whitish/blue screen.

I also have lights bleeding from many sides on all iPads.
Alright, I feel somewhat relieved, as it can be remedied by a simple exchange (if I can find one, right? ) Is that what you would suggest?

I also have very slight light bleeding and yes, on both iPad 1 and 2. Even though I am extremely sensitive to *ANY* small screen issue on any of my devices (iMac, iPad, iPhone, ThinkPad laptop, whatever...), the iPad screen bleeding is something I can live with.

However, this "yellowish overall tint" as you so ably described it, I cannot tolerate. What about you? Have you decided to do anything about it?

Btw, I bought mine online and got it in only 2 business days. A whole lot of good that did me. Will I be able to swap it out at an Apple store? I really don't want to have to go through shipping this thing back and forth.
__________________
Flash-only 27" iMac w/ quad-core Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz / 3.8GHz max. Turbo | NVIDIA GTX 775M w/ 2GB GDDR5 | 24GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung PCIe x2 SSD
Crunch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:27 AM   #24
MN7119
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Mine has a very small backlight bleeding on th eleft side so I decided to take mine back to the Apple store and see what they would say. It wasn't that bad of bleeding but wanted to get their opinion. Met with the genius guy that took my iPad2 to the back room and came back in less than 5 min with a brand new unopened box saying he would exchange it. I asked if they were getting many people with that problem and he said mine was the first one he actually saw it in the store. The new one was perfect with no backlight bleeding at all.
MN7119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:37 AM   #25
AppleGoddess
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN7119 View Post
Mine has a very small backlight bleeding on th eleft side so I decided to take mine back to the Apple store and see what they would say. It wasn't that bad of bleeding but wanted to get their opinion. Met with the genius guy that took my iPad2 to the back room and came back in less than 5 min with a brand new unopened box saying he would exchange it. I asked if they were getting many people with that problem and he said mine was the first one he actually saw it in the store. The new one was perfect with no backlight bleeding at all.
They all have backlight bleeding
AppleGoddess is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IPad definitely has yellow tint issue Ipadluvr iPad 317 Apr 15, 2012 10:16 AM
iPad 2 2mm yellow tint around perimeter of screen ? aibo82 iPad 6 Dec 26, 2011 03:42 PM
iPad 2 Has Different Color on iTunes? Patoma16 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Jul 28, 2011 04:59 PM
iPad 2 Syncing Issues benhollberg iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 6 Mar 15, 2011 08:43 PM
Concern with charging cable with IPad 2 not meeting flush / potential issues! JodyK iPad Accessories 11 Mar 12, 2011 11:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC