Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Davewithak
macrumors regular

[iPad 2] No sound in Apps?

Just got my iPad 2 yesterday, love it. However, I downloaded the ABC, Real Racing 2, and Flight Control apps. I made sure my volume and ringer was turned all the way up, but still no sound.
Davewithak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Bluemeanie1976
macrumors 6502a

Are you deaf?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Roadking
macrumors 6502

make sure that your rocker switch is not set to mute.
Roadking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Davewithak
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
make sure that your rocker switch is not set to mute.
It's not, I have that set to control rotation.

Edit: I went in settings, set it to control sound, muted it and un-muted it and it fixed it. Thanks for the help.
Davewithak is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Norm1222
macrumors newbie

I too am having sound issues, but only when using apps or keyboard. My YouTube, iPod, etc plays sound. I have reset twice, made sure that the locking key is NOT on mute, etc. It is driving me nuts and may have to take a trip to the store. Any other ideas?
Norm1222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:54 PM   #6
skyfreedom
macrumors member

This is funny

I had the same issue, then a buddy of mine asked if the rocker switch was muted and of course it wasn't but get this I had the rocker switch set to rotation lock my buddy set it switch to mute and then launched the an app " angry birds" and no sound..... Then while in the app switched to unmute and bam sound!!!!

I believe that some apps confuse the rotation lock on as mute, since then I haven't used rotation lock and all is good!
skyfreedom is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:39 AM   #7
Norm1222
macrumors newbie

Tried that also. Finally called the techies and they had me do a full restore and now sound works but in the process noticed the backlighting prob that others have been referring to. Seems like apple rushed to get these new iPads out!
Norm1222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:40 AM   #8
Project
macrumors 68020

While your mute/rotation rocker might be fine, the system might have overrode it. It's happened to me when using Garageband. Doubleclick home and scroll left to the volume/mute control and check there.
Project is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:50 PM   #9
BobbieM629
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewithak View Post
It's not, I have that set to control rotation.

Edit: I went in settings, set it to control sound, muted it and un-muted it and it fixed it. Thanks for the help.
This worked perfect for fixing my problem too
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:56 PM   #10
imutter
macrumors 6502

I have a different issue I switch the sound off and when I play some Apps and youtube it still plays sounds ..annoying my family sleeps at noght an dall of a sudden my ipad blasts LOL at least the speakers are louder then iphone LOL
imutter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 09:24 AM   #11
wash43
macrumors newbie

This works

This worked for me, for some reason certain apps had sound and others did not, but this worked and I was able to change back to using the side switch to lock rotation. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfreedom View Post
I had the same issue, then a buddy of mine asked if the rocker switch was muted and of course it wasn't but get this I had the rocker switch set to rotation lock my buddy set it switch to mute and then launched the an app " angry birds" and no sound..... Then while in the app switched to unmute and bam sound!!!!

I believe that some apps confuse the rotation lock on as mute, since then I haven't used rotation lock and all is good!
wash43 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:45 AM   #12
Allertonj
macrumors newbie

No sound ipad2

I've tried all fixes on this site regarding unlocking orientation and unmuting. And still no sound. I've checked everywhere where may be something on mute and still no sound.
Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm very frustrated.
When I had to ring apple support they were less than helpful.HELP please
Allertonj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:27 AM   #13
graystone
macrumors newbie

There seem to be certain apps, or combination of apps, that disable sound. Try doing a system re-set. Press the Home button and the on-off button on top of the iPad at the same time and hold until you see the Apple logo appear. Disregard any interim screens that appear, including the welcome screen, and just wait until the apple logo appears. This will "re-set" the iPad, but no data or settings will be lost. This should restore sound.
graystone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:02 PM   #14
twamos
macrumors newbie

no sound in my game apps

so i had the same issue with the sound on my apps - but i followed another user's advice about doubleclicking home and scroll left to the volume/mute control and checking there - turns out my mute there was on! wth? anyway - this seems to have fixed it...
twamos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:47 PM   #15
Shadyriley
macrumors 6502

You have to make sure that you switch it to unmute before you switch it to lock rotation, it will stay on the last setting. Common sense.
Shadyriley is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 01:07 PM   #16
ITweijie
macrumors newbie

I also had the no sound in all my apps.. I thought it was something wrong with my ipad that I just brought today. Then I realized that a lot of people had the same problem. I set the switch back to Mute and all I Flicked the switch back to normal and all the sounds came back.. Phew!
ITweijie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:26 PM   #17
KDNYC
macrumors member

Had the exact same problem. Mute/Unmute worked. Whew. Fighting zombies is not as fun without the sound
KDNYC is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:07 PM   #18
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Incidentally if you have the switch set to control rotation lock, then you can find the mute/unmute button on the far left side in the widgets section of the multitasking bar. Conversely this button controls rotation lock when the switch is set to mute.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:21 PM   #19
WildAl
macrumors newbie

Turn on notification sounds

I discovered that if I slide to notification sounds switch to On, the App sounds work.
WildAl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:52 PM   #20
NikeTalk
macrumors 6502a

Had this happen to me cause my son figured out how to turn it off and I tried EVERYTHING! Then I remembered the volume when you double tap LOL.
NikeTalk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:27 AM   #21
nino852
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemeanie1976 View Post
Are you deaf?
ahah you don't hear because you disabled the audio settings menu!

improve eyesight

Last edited by nino852; Apr 19, 2012 at 04:20 AM.
nino852 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:41 AM   #22
UneElle
macrumors member

Had the same problem. If you haven't already done so, try this:

Double click on Home Button to bring up Task Bar
Scroll all the way to the right to bring up controller
Make certain both volume slides are slid all the way to the right (maximum)
NOW check the icon of the Speaker Volume on the left. Make sure it does NOT have a diagonal line thru it If it does, click on the Speaker Icon and "MUTE OFF" will appear for a short period of time in the bottom center of your screen.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:16 PM   #23
thegreati
macrumors regular

switch was set to mute prior to changing it to rotate lock.
thegreati is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 12:38 PM   #24
liontamer67
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbieM629 View Post
This worked perfect for fixing my problem too
This also happened on one of my ipad2's and this worked to for me. weird.
liontamer67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:33 AM   #25
canoemtp
macrumors newbie

Possible Fix for No Sound

My wife has an iPad2 and recently downloaded a bunch of games for our grandchild; however, none of them had sound. I tried the toggle switch on the side and no sound. I went into GENERAL settings and went to SOUNDS. In SOUNDS I went to Ringer and Alerts and click ON for Change with Buttons. All Apps now had sound including games. Hope that helps.
canoemtp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad