Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:23 PM   #1
GruXx
macrumors newbie

Upgrading to Mac OS X Lion.

Right now i have a "24 iMac running Leopard (10.5.8) I never upgraded to Snow Leopard. So i was curious if it will be cheaper to upgrade to Snow Leopard for $30 and then upgrade to Lion once it comes out. I may be wrong but i thought that i heard or read somewhere that it is cheaper to upgrade from the next recent OS (ex. Leopard > Snow Leopard or Snow Leopard > Lion) rather than skipping one (ex. Leopard > Lion). Any ideas??

Thanks in advance
GruXx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

It'll be cheaper to skip SL.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:08 PM   #3
alan111
macrumors regular

Ask one of your friends if you can borrow their snow leopard disc. Otherwise, just wait until Lion this summer. I have the beta, and it's a pretty nice upgrade.
alan111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:43 AM   #4
itickings
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruXx View Post
I may be wrong but i thought that i heard or read somewhere that it is cheaper to upgrade from the next recent OS (ex. Leopard > Snow Leopard or Snow Leopard > Lion) rather than skipping one (ex. Leopard > Lion).
The cheap Leopard to Snow Leopard update is actually the first time this has been the case. We don't yet know if it is a new strategy from Apple or just a one time thing because Snow Leopard didn't sport that many new features.

My recommendation is "Wait and see".

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan111 View Post
Ask one of your friends if you can borrow their snow leopard disc. Otherwise, just wait until Lion this summer. I have the beta, and it's a pretty nice upgrade.
If the OP had intended to obtain it illegally I don't think the thread would've been posted at all.
itickings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 03:33 PM   #5
ufkdo
macrumors 6502

Lion may be sold in Mac App Store and so far we observed that Apple sells its softwares cheaper on MAS (such as Aperture, $79 on App Store but $199 on stores and Apple Remote Desktop again $79 on app store but $499 on stores (I don't know if they are exact same versions but App Store says it is unlimited edition) - huge gaps)

We don't and can't know if it will be cheaper to buy snow leopard first, but I don't think so (yeah, I know this is a contradiction to my first paragraph but I read so much articles like that in last 2-3 days )
ufkdo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion