Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

155110-2010_apple_tv_promo_shot.jpg

AppleInsider reports that Apple is preparing a new software update for the Apple TV to address issues with flickering when used with certain televisions.
An Apple support representative has confirmed that Apple is aware of the issues caused by the latest update to the Apple TV, software version 4.2, AppleInsider has learned. The Cupertino, Calif., company is said to be working on a fix that will address the screen flickering problems for a small number of users.
Apple TV software version 4.2, which is actually a build of iOS 4.3, was released last week ahead of the iPad 2 launch.

The issue seems to appear on certain televisions attempting to convert the Apple TV's 720p output to a 1080i format for display. With the new software version, users are experiencing flickering and flashing on both direct HDMI output and HDMI to DVI video adapter output. In addition, some users are finding that the video output settings on their Apple TV have been permanently set on the "Auto" option with a 480p resolution.

Article Link: Software Fix Coming to Address Flickering Issues With Apple TV

gramirez2012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Chicago, USA
I tried for several days to get my Apple TV to install this latest update. Every time I tried it, it just kept saying "The update process failed" or something to that effect. I was finally able to get it to install this afternoon.

dvswede

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
Add to that the issue with apostrophes in genres. If you have a category called "Children's Music" then every genre gets garbled and shows every single thing on your iTunes account. Only way around it currently seem to be to rename the genre (in iTunes) "Childrens Music" (i.e not ')

Bad release apple! I've come to expect better stability then this :-/

oracle_ab

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No problems here. Loving my ATV 2.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I still haven't been able to reliably stream from 3rd party apps to my Apple TV2. Always hangs or disconnects after a few seconds. I've ruled out it being a network issue.

TalonFlyer

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
Net Flicker!

I have a TV that is a few years old and the AppleTV was working fine until the last update. Now it is unwatchable as every second or two I get what looks like a loss of video sync for just a moment. I am also locked at 480P and that may also be part of the problem.

Hope it's fixed soon as I am currently unable to use the AppleTV at all.

It seems apple is having video problems in many product lines, hope they get back on track soon.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I tried for several days to get my Apple TV to install this latest update. Every time I tried it, it just kept saying "The update process failed" or something to that effect. I was finally able to get it to install this afternoon.

I was experiencing the same thing, over and over, but I finally got it to update by switching from wireless to Ethernet.

awr

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
I wonder if this will correct the loss of sound issue that some (me) are experiencing as well . . . .

Cmd-the-World

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Hope this fixes the flickering that occurs with the Sony Bravia 40W4000. :rolleyes: I was lucky in the beginning I didn't have the issue; I had no idea about it. However when I changed the HDMI port in order to connect another device I started encountering the flickering problem.

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
I hope they fix the MLB and NBA issue. Like.. I don't want to see them there. I'll never click on them. At least put them at the end of the list.

kanderer

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
No flickering for me, but motion jitter

I haven't had a flickering problem, but I do get substantial motion jitter in horizontal pan shots on Netflix movies on my Samsung 1080p TV. Who's fixed that?

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
i have noticed mine flicker every now and again, kind of as if its readjusting itself, only ever noticed it on the menu, never during a video, as far as i recall its quite a recent thing, but it may have done it before the update...

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Apple TV software version 4.2, which is actually a build of iOS 4.3

Anyone know what the reasoning is for the version numbering like this? 4.1.1 was really iOS 4.2.1 and now 4.2 is really iOS 4.3..

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
So long as there is a chance of glee popping up on my TV, I will refrain from buying an Apple TV.

-Ken-

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Oregon, USA
No flickering on my television. The update has however GREATLY improved Netflix's reliability. No more buffering or video/audio jumping.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Come on Apple, enable 1080p output - even the ATV1 could output at 1080p (upscaled) - surely the 720p limit is an iOS limitation that can be overcome.

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
Jailbreak it or it's useless.

There's really no point in the :apple:Apple TV, unless it's jailbroken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.