Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
So far in my search for a decent looking carbon fiber skin, the most pleasing looking without compromising in looks; the winner, it seems, belongs to icarbons:

http://www.icarbons.com/products/ipad-2

the corners look the best

I knew from the start the new curves on the ipad along with the speaker grille, camera and buttons would make it difficult for skins.

Luckylabs just doesnt look right. PERIOD.

Bodyguardz looks overly busy and there's no apple logo cutout (if you're into that kinda thing)

http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/bodyguardz_carbon_fiber_skin_review

anyone else know of other carbon fiber skins that looks good?

Last edited:

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
I went with Skinomi Techskin for the iPad2. Skinomi TechSkin

I didn't go with black tho - I went with the silver carbon fiber.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 510
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,929

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
I didn't think the corner coverage was all that great on the iCarbon. The pic I'm attaching is the "wood look" as it was the only picture that really showed how the corners look. I'd wager the carbon fiber would be the same.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 531

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
I didn't think the corner coverage was all that great on the iCarbon. The pic I'm attaching is the "wood look" as it was the only picture that really showed how the corners look. I'd wager the carbon fiber would be the same.

Yes they would be the same. But it's more aesthetically pleasing to me vs the bodyguardz type corners. It's give and take.

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
I ordered from iCarbons the day before yesterday in White carbon fiber with black apple logo. I received a shipping notification today.

I too think its the best looking of the bunch!

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
The Skinomi siliver carbon fiber looks really nice actually (minus the corners). I think it would blend in very though. I may have to look into that if i dont end up liking the white (or if it stains easy) which I am afraid of.

NewYorkRanger

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Icarbons are, by far, the best at this stage of the game.

Really hoping they do a silver carbon one, to keep the existing aluminum look going.

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008

Watch the install video.

Chewy954

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
I'm stuck between the iCarbons and Phantom Skinz white or black lol.

Does this void your warranty? I'm just worried about getting it, and if Apple ends up issuing a recall for the bleeding backlights and I have this installed :/.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011

Does this void your warranty? I'm just worried about getting it, and if Apple ends up issuing a recall for the bleeding backlights and I have this installed :/.

I'm assuming they peel off. Am I wrong?

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace

No it doesn't void your warranty because you're not opening it up.

I'm assuming they peel off. Am I wrong?

Yes, it should peel off easily with little to no residue.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
No it doesn't void your warranty because you're not opening it up.

Yes, it should peel off easily with little to no residue.

Great. I'm placing my order today. My only other concern is screen protection. I like the look of the carbon fiber bezel but what if you have a screen protector on?

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Great. I'm placing my order today. My only other concern is screen protection. I like the look of the carbon fiber bezel but what if you have a screen protector on?

Are you saying you're worried that a screen protector will void your warranty? It won't.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
No. I'm wondering about how you install this front bezel cover with a screen protector.

Probably cant have both. It's one or the other.

From my experience with my original iPad however, a screen protector is unnecessary. I went an entire year without a screen protector on and the glass was pristine. But I take care of my gadgets so ymmv.

just got a free bodyguardz carbon fiber skin in the mail today

Sorry for the crappy pic:
W2dk2.jpg

Really dont like the corners :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.