Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Never underestimate a cell company's ability and desire to get money from people.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Never underestimate a cell company's ability and desire to get money from people.

Its part of the contract you agree to, so its not that they're being underhanded, but rather telling those that are getting something for nothing. To expect to be charged for it.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
so much for the wifi+tethering iPhone only :(... I hope this is not true

From what I've read...it has to do with the amount of data you're using vs actually being jailbroken and tethering. There have been people who got the notice who don't even tether but ATT is assuming they are because of the amount of data they are using.

I use MyWi every now and then and got no notice but I only use around 700MB of data per month so it doesn't raise any flags.

wenstinator

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
From what I've read...it has to do with the amount of data you're using vs actually being jailbroken and tethering. There have been people who got the notice who don't even tether but ATT is assuming they are because of the amount of data they are using.

I use MyWi every now and then and got no notice but I only use around 700MB of data per month so it doesn't raise any flags.

This is true. i tether but infrequently, and i did not receive the notice.

AT&T cannot tell if you are tethering against the terms, if they could, dont you think they would have notified people much earlier? all data is routed through the iphone so it just looks like iphone usage.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
This is true. i tether but infrequently, and i did not receive the notice.

AT&T cannot tell if you are tethering against the terms, if they could, dont you think they would have notified people much earlier? all data is routed through the iphone so it just looks like iphone usage.

no, you can tell if the data is originating on another device

wenstinator

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
no, you can tell if the data is originating on another device

please explain. based on if your ua shows a desktop browser? thats a pretty poor method...

its probably based on heavy heavy usage, maybe bittorrent or something that you would only typically be able to access through a desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.