Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:50 PM   #1
appleyay
macrumors newbie

Extend Wireless Network Using Airport Base Station

So, I'm trying to connect my DirecTV reciever to an Airport Base Station that I want to extend my wireless network, which is configured using a Siemens Gigaset router for our Frontier internet.

In Airport Utility, I've got "extend a wireless network" selected, but when I try to select my specific wireless network, it says "the network you've selected cannot be extended".

So I guess my question is this: is there a way to make my Gigaset router wireless network extendable, or will I only be able to use my Airport base to extend other Apple wireless routers?
appleyay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:49 AM   #2
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleyay View Post
So, I'm trying to connect my DirecTV reciever to an Airport Base Station that I want to extend my wireless network, which is configured using a Siemens Gigaset router for our Frontier internet.

In Airport Utility, I've got "extend a wireless network" selected, but when I try to select my specific wireless network, it says "the network you've selected cannot be extended".

So I guess my question is this: is there a way to make my Gigaset router wireless network extendable, or will I only be able to use my Airport base to extend other Apple wireless routers?
I am almost positive you cannot extend via airport extreme any other non apple device. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I would, if I were you, turn off the wifi module of the Siemens; connect it to the airport extreme Ethernet and broadcast from there.

Keep in mind, for direct tv, I am almost certain as well you need a Ethernet cable direct into a router from the dtv white homeshare box to broadcast the the other homesharing dtv devices.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:51 PM   #3
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleyay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
I am almost positive you cannot extend via airport extreme any other non apple device. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Took me a few minutes of a MRoogle search and a search on support.apple.com, but I found this:

Quote:
Question: Can AirPort Express wirelessly extend ("repeat" or "rebroadcast") the network of a third-party access point?
Answer: No. But it can wirelessly extend the range of a WDS network that is being hosted by an AirPort Extreme Base Station or another AirPort Express.
AirPort Express frequently asked questions (FAQ)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking