Extend Wireless Network Using Airport Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by appleyay, Mar 20, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2011
    So, I'm trying to connect my DirecTV reciever to an Airport Base Station that I want to extend my wireless network, which is configured using a Siemens Gigaset router for our Frontier internet.

In Airport Utility, I've got "extend a wireless network" selected, but when I try to select my specific wireless network, it says "the network you've selected cannot be extended".

So I guess my question is this: is there a way to make my Gigaset router wireless network extendable, or will I only be able to use my Airport base to extend other Apple wireless routers?
  2. macrumors 68040

Aug 31, 2007
    Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
    I am almost positive you cannot extend via airport extreme any other non apple device. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I would, if I were you, turn off the wifi module of the Siemens; connect it to the airport extreme Ethernet and broadcast from there.

Keep in mind, for direct tv, I am almost certain as well you need a Ethernet cable direct into a router from the dtv white homeshare box to broadcast the the other homesharing dtv devices.
  3. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Detroit, Michigan
    Took me a few minutes of a MRoogle search and a search on support.apple.com, but I found this:

AirPort Express frequently asked questions (FAQ)