Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyzelios

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Canada
The only thing that I'd be concerned about would be that the Seagate disk offers a Sudden Motion Sensor which may conflict with the one in the MacBook Pro (although you can disable Apple's Sudden Motion Sensor I believe) - other than that, it looks like a decent disk at a good price.

Also, keep in mind that a 7200 RPM disk will cause some vibration in the MacBook Pro compared to a 5400 RPM disk - not a huge deal unless you prefer your computer to be dead silent.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Yeah, I wondered about the motion sensor thing too, but there are several reviews on Newegg from people that popped them into MPB's with no problems.
Though I guess they seem to be older MPB's that are mentioned, the Apple Sudden Motion Sensor isn't a new thing for the 2011's is it?

Quiet is good, but I'd rather have the performance. Plus there were a few comments about it being quieter than the included drive on some systems.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I thought this was the xt 500gb ssd/hdd. Its bad! It won't stop spinning and vibration is horrible in the 2011 13". It's even bad with the Sd24. I had two of them and returned both for a 60gb SSD.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
I thought this was the xt 500gb ssd/hdd. Its bad! It won't stop spinning and vibration is horrible in the 2011 13". It's even bad with the Sd24. I had two of them and returned both for a 60gb SSD.

So wait, you're saying you had issues with the xt? Not the Momentus I linked?

ddehr026

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
Yeah I've heard the momentus has had issues too, but that's because it's a hybrid drive. I think you're fine with this one. :)

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
OP, the Momentus you linked I have in an older (pre-unibody) MBP with no issues at all. It is a bit noisier than the drive it replaced, but it's also 7200 vs the 5400 that was in it which I'm sure is the reason. Plugging along fine though.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
OP, the Momentus you linked I have in an older (pre-unibody) MBP with no issues at all. It is a bit noisier than the drive it replaced, but it's also 7200 vs the 5400 that was in it which I'm sure is the reason. Plugging along fine though.

Cool, thanks. I was hoping to find someone with first hand experience.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
It's on sale for $90 until Weds.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148599

I haven't ordered my MPB 15 yet, but I'm going to in the next month or so, and I've got an enclosure I can use to put it through it's paces with TechTool before I got through the trouble of installing it, so I'm thinking I might go ahead and jump on it at this price....
I am not positive about this, but I seem to remember thaat the Seagate drives with sudden motion sensors have an "ASG" at the end on the number. I used to have a 500 GB Momentus in my MBP and it worked just fine, quiet, fast and no perceptible vibration. See the web site below, scroll down and you will see something like "G-Force", Seagate's sudden motion technology.
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...210VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD&locale=en-AU&pf=1
In any case, this is the new 750GB drive, so YMMV. Post back on your results with more details on the computer you install it in. :cool:

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
It does say that it has "Seagate G-Force Protection technology", whatever that means.

Atanyrate, I went ahead an ordered.

In any case, this is the new 750GB drive, so YMMV. Post back on your results with more details on the computer you install it in. :cool:

Will do.

I'm waiting until I hear about this overheating/gpu/whatever it is/freezing issue is cleared up before I the new system, but the plan is to put it in a new MBP 15.

unixperience

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
I have a macbook aluminum with the 7200.4 momentus, its great. super fast. it is pretty quiet, no louder than the fan spinning at 1800prm. I have no problems with it, no clicking, No software fixes necessary, boots in about 30 seconds, very fast hdd. I've had it about 8 months and works great, got it off ebay for $65

It is the G model, but it has no problems works fine even with apples included skip protection. I really enjoy this hdd, and it doesn't make that weird sound that 5400rpm drives make when you start a mac, you probably don't notice the sound until it's gone, and you realize how loud spinup was.

I also recommend carbon copy cloner (CCC) if you don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling anything, it's far better than time machine since it's a bit for bit copy of the old HDD

jkpark78

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
I had momentus XT but got rid of it because:
a) occassional skipping of videos on VLC (no problem with WD scorpio black)
b) multiple applications freezing when accessing the HD (iTunes wouldn't load - had to reboot occassionally; would hang when 'save' dialogue came up - beachball of death
c) louder than WD scorpio black in terms of sound and vibration (not too bad tho)
d) unable to put to sleep due to firmware (upgraded to SD24) - approximately 30-60 minutes of battery time lost.

Got rid of it for SSD/WD scorpio black combo - now i got problem with hibernation but doesn't matter since shutdown and booting up is less than 10sec ordeal with SSD.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Some people have been trying the Momentus XT SD25 beta firmware, and it looks to be as if it has fixed all problems for most of them.

frogger2020

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
I have this exact drive in a 15" 2011 MBP. No problems whatsoever. Very fast and quiet. No noticeable vibrations from the drive.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Well, I got it this week and it was DOA.

I just sent it back for an exchange as it seems like this can happen with any make/model of hard drive.

Hopefully the next one will actually work.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
This is drive I picked to put in my mom's new machine. I did some extensive testing and it seems to be pretty good; it's spacious and fast; no noticeable vibrations.

And for those that care, this drive does not have the G-force drop sensor.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
What all did you do for testing?
I just use Tech Tool.

Oh, and also, how can you tell about the drop sensor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.